Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing

NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

U]Link[/U] to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 22 May 2017 by JDiver
[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
How do you know you are 5th on the list. I didn't think phone agents could see the wait lists.
I think they can see them but are not supposed to tell you your position in it.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by dubstyle311
Apparently i am 5 on the list? Am i ....ed?
How do you see where you on the waitlist? I have asked AA CS many times, and they keep telling me they have no idea. Is there some place I can it online?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by melrowgo
How do you see where you on the waitlist? I have asked AA CS many times, and they keep telling me they have no idea. Is there some place I can it online?
I was working literally across the street from Bradley International Airport and was able to walk over and ask. The check in agent told me no problem.

Add me to the chorus of folks turning on AA after really not complaining at all for many years.

It seems theyre not longer running many 77Ws to CDG or europe in general which were great for upgrades.

Whats the point of 500k miles when you cant use em. I guess im late to the party on this one, but here nonetheless.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:27 pm

JFK-LAX 8pm on a Sunday in the middle of May,... good chance for 15K mileage upgrade? so far, only 5 business class seats are filled according to the seat map.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by dubstyle311
It seems theyre not longer running many 77Ws to CDG or europe in general which were great for upgrades.
One of the reasons we chose a specific flight to CDG was the 77W metal. A couple of months after booking, they changed it to 788. Consequently, our UG looks doubtful.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by melrowgo
One of the reasons we chose a specific flight to CDG was the 77W metal. A couple of months after booking, they changed it to 788. Consequently, our UG looks doubtful.
Correct me if I'm wrong but CDG has never been and currently is not scheduled for regular 77W service. Perhaps a one-off schedule abnormality (e.g. repositioning aircraft), but nothing more than that.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Correct me if I'm wrong but CDG has never been and currently is not scheduled for regular 77W service. Perhaps a one-off schedule abnormality (e.g. repositioning aircraft), but nothing more than that.
I was not aware of this. We must have just gotten lucky... for a while.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
except that as of mid February, they want to remove your 500 mile request if you request miles/copay. Happened to me twice - auto requested complimentary, called later to be put on C+P waitlist and they want to remove complimentary. I thought it was bogus but JonNYC has confirmed.

Another wrinkle , I once pulled my miles/copay and was st the bottom of explat on the pall list, as if my complimentary had no request date on it
It get's worse. Not only did they remove me from the complimentary upgrade list on the return segment (with the C&P waitlisted, they removed me from the outbound upgrade list as well (without any other upgrade instrument on that segment waitlisted).

My compulsiveness monitoring the seating chart daily a week before I leave helped me somewhat. I saw about 4-5 upgrades processed (a guess, but two last rows of J filled up with almost as many MCE seats opening up). I got to move to MCE at least, but I bet I would have been upgraded if it had been listed correctly).

This is made worse by some glitch that causes the complimentary upgrade list not to show if I have a miles/copay waitlist request. It's not uniform, so flights show. But somehow, when I checked before (well after the original discussion) they confirmed I was on the upgrade list, but someone took it off.

Is anyone else running into the issue of miles/copay or SWU waitlist requires removal of 500-mile upgrade waitlist?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
It get's worse. Not only did they remove me from the complimentary upgrade list on the return segment (with the C&P waitlisted, they removed me from the outbound upgrade list as well (without any other upgrade instrument on that segment waitlisted).

My compulsiveness monitoring the seating chart daily a week before I leave helped me somewhat. I saw about 4-5 upgrades processed (a guess, but two last rows of J filled up with almost as many MCE seats opening up). I got to move to MCE at least, but I bet I would have been upgraded if it had been listed correctly).

This is made worse by some glitch that causes the complimentary upgrade list not to show if I have a miles/copay waitlist request. It's not uniform, so flights show. But somehow, when I checked before (well after the original discussion) they confirmed I was on the upgrade list, but someone took it off.

Is anyone else running into the issue of miles/copay or SWU waitlist requires removal of 500-mile upgrade waitlist?
My last relevant DP was a trip Dec/Jan TPA-MIA-SCL,EZE-MIA-TPA. Purchase and miles+copay request made mid-Oct. AAgent asked me if I wanted to include the TPA-MIA-TPA legs, and I said, "No, they're complementarycomplimentary requests."

I did get the miles+copay on the long hauls, though the latter went down to the wire. I did get the TPA-MIA but was well down the list for MIA-TPA.

My conclusions:
1. Not including the short hauls in the request was clearly the right call.
2. I did not lose the complimentary requests.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Apr 25, 2017 at 11:27 am
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
That's interesting, but there's another reason not to include the shorthall on the request - if you clear only MIA-TPA, you use miles/copay I think. That's definitely true with SWU.

My issue is specifically not having both on the same segment (besides the rogue back room person removing me from the complimentary waitlist on one the segment that didn't have a miles/copay or SWU waitlist).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I have a flight from ORD-LHR on Wednesday this week. Availability for my flight is down to J4 and it's on their crappy 767-300. I put in my upgrade request in December, but what would happen if I were to try and same-day flight change to a 787-8 that was departing earlier? Assuming I would get thrown to the back of the upgrade list which is J5 right now?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:00 am

Just today- DFW-NRT, AA - friend (no status) used a SWU from EXP friend. Got on upgrade list night before, #2 on list. Today/next morning, dropped to #6 on upgrade list. Within an hour of flight #1 , 2 cleared with 1 seat left. Upgrade list #3 ,4,5 all with same last name/family.

Boarded/Already seated in Main Cabin when flight attendant came to say that last seat is available. I guess that family decided not to be split up. Or was it all or none on same ticket? So aggravating that AA makes the SWU so difficult to use. Very glad to have the seat for the 12+ hr flight but #7 , 8 on the list never got their upgrades.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
That's interesting, but there's another reason not to include the shorthall on the request - if you clear only MIA-TPA, you use miles/copay I think. That's definitely true with SWU.

My issue is specifically not having both on the same segment (besides the rogue back room person removing me from the complimentary waitlist on one the segment that didn't have a miles/copay or SWU waitlist).
No, TPA-MIA is under 500 -- complimentary. So leaving it out of the miles+copay request seemed to be an easy call.

In retrospect, my DP is only indirectly relevant to the original question: Can you have both SWU or miles+copay and e500 on the same segment, and have them handled the way you'd like?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Need to go to HKG sometime in either July or August. What is the best day of the week to book the flt to leave so I can hopefully get an upgrade? I know my chances are probably slim, but I have some flexibility for the two months to choose from so going to give it a shot.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Need to go to HKG sometime in either July or August. What is the best day of the week to book the flt to leave so I can hopefully get an upgrade? I know my chances are probably slim, but I have some flexibility for the two months to choose from so going to give it a shot.
There is a separate thread on upgrade changes on the HKG flights. However the general consensus seems to be that the LAX-HKG flight has a better chance of upgrading than the DFW-HKG flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.