Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passenger injured by unlocked galley cart, AA response, pathetic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

http://www.godsavethepoints.com/news...rican-airlines

I WAS HIT BY A RUNAWAY BEVERAGE CART ON AMERICAN AIRLINES. HERE'S MY LITERALLY PAINFUL STORY...

...Many of you know that beverage carts are to be latched and stored in a secure compartment away from passengers, with brakes securely applied for take off and landing to prevent this exact occurrence. It's a safety mandate. Brakes should always be applied when the carts are not specifically moving, even if the cart is out and about for service...
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
when I saw the top photo, I was like, thats a nice owie but didn't look real bad but the second picture was a definite ouch that bruise hurts big time

So two questions - by taking the $600 did he actually agree not to sue? and why did CSR send him that 2nd $200 voucher? that was a bit confusing to me (no I did not listen to the video as I'm at work)

Not that it matters but I presume he was in F?

How did this actually happen.. the written word is not really clear on the how did this happen

Is $600 good enough, to me its like $250 was 6-8 years ago; it buys the same thing, a domestic transcon. So I'm not sure its such a great deal.

I guess I'd have to know more about the exactly how did this happen and see or read about the impact a bit more to know if it was fair or not.

I guess I would want the cash for my OOP expenses though.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
"lerner and rowe is the way to go, call 9-7-7-1-9-0-0".

If you live in Phoenix you'll appreciate it.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: OnePass, Delta
My question was is there going to be a class action, but a phone number has been given out already....

Not that compensation, to some degree, is not warranted.

Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
when I saw the top photo, I was like, thats a nice owie but didn't look real bad but the second picture was a definite ouch that bruise hurts big time

So two questions - by taking the $600 did he actually agree not to sue? and why did CSR send him that 2nd $200 voucher? that was a bit confusing to me (no I did not listen to the video as I'm at work)

How did this actually happen.. the written word is not really clear on the how did this happen

Is $600 good enough, to me its like $250 was 6-8 years ago; it buys the same thing, a domestic transcon. So I'm not sure its such a great deal.

I guess I'd have to know more about the exactly how did this happen and see or read about the impact a bit more to know if it was fair or not.

Sounds like the guy has a fair leg to stand on, no pun intended.

I just want to know from the video what's up the model BA 388 in the background?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think companies (and/or their insurers) are just programmed to low-ball until a lawyer gets involved (unless perhaps the complainant is a very skilled negotiator). It's admirable he tried to take the high road, but unfortunately that's just not how things work in this country.

Of course none of that has any relation to the "softer" aspects of the incident, like follow-up from corporate. That's just a customer service fail.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I think for most cases with a corporation, asking them to do the "right thing" first is always smart. However, when they significantly low-ball you on a serious incident that is safety related, then it becomes time to lawyer up. I'd suggest for this person to start seek out legal advice on this and proceed through that channel.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: loyalty?! BA Gold, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

So, I'll clarify a few things here. I didn't make the incident clear because the text was lengthy, in an already lengthy post.

Basically, I was in first row of Y (11c), no flights with J avail for my schedule, upgrade never cleared. No biggie. Eye mask on, ear plugs in, had places to be at 7AM in New York. Cart came loose from galley between F and J and accelerated down the aisle just after take off roll. Went at least 30 feet picking up speed, drilled me. Never saw it coming, just faintly heard a few gasps before it hit.

They've been absolutely useless to deal with. No word at all for days, no follow up. I tried to be reasonable, even gave them a heads up on a Daily Mail story that was coming out, I decided to believe they were handling seriously when they called after getting the DM email. Squashed it (for the time being) and hoped that they would just come at something within remote reason. Like all of you, my time is valuable, I can't sit on the phone for days, wait for emails so I just wanted some TLC during the last couple weeks and a nice palatable gesture.

Now all those very idiotic ideas of a company taking something seriously without action are gone. I just figured that though I'm a lowly travel writer, and a OneWorld Emerald that some extra kid gloves would be applied and some common sense on a communications front would make sense. I chose not to put forth any of my professional info to the crew, because I deep down wanted to see how passenger X would be treated, and sure enough, I found out! Quite sure there is still plenty of grounds to go further and at this point I'm left with little choice!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
You walked up the high road and it led to the need for an attorney. In this case, I'd let one handle this going forward.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
What are you wanting? They offered a voucher equal to a refund of the flight.

What (in your eyes) is an acceptable offer here? Are you looking for lost wages compensation as you were unable to work, or what?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: loyalty?! BA Gold, DL Platinum
I personally do not consider AA vouchers equal to cash out of pocket. One is good for any service rendered on earth, the other is valid for travel services rendered by American Airlines departing the US only. Not equal.

I don't think that anywhere nearly addresses pain and suffering, time wasted, a complete failure from a customer service/human perspective or any of the other issues on hand here. I am still quite literally in pain.

And as a side note, my needs for travel originating the US aren't that high.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by godsavethepoints
I personally do not consider AA vouchers equal to cash out of pocket. One is good for any service rendered on earth, the other is valid for travel services rendered by American Airlines departing the US only. Not equal.

I don't think that anywhere nearly addresses pain and suffering, time wasted, a complete failure from a customer service/human perspective or any of the other issues on hand here. I am still quite literally in pain.

And as a side note, my needs for travel originating the US aren't that high.
And I ask again... what do you consider acceptable? Cash refund? How much for Pain/Time/etc?

This is starting to feel like an endless rant thread.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02
And I ask again... what do you consider acceptable? Cash refund? How much for Pain/Time/etc?

Something more than a $600 voucher seems to be the answer.

Nobody in this situation should be answering this question here. Talk to a lawyer.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bchandler02

I wouldnt have wanted to be in his shoes, but I get the feeling hes not looking to be whole but to rake it in $$ wise. Wonder if he asked AA how about I send you back the $600 and $200 vouchers and send me a check for the cost of my 1 way flight.I assume the $600 he said he paid wasnt r/t but 1 way, if the $600 was r/t then AA only owes him 1/2 of that.

In the end it was a bad bruise but as he said no lasting damage = not much to be gained in court, unless he wasnt able to work etc etc for a long time

I too am interested in what he feels being made whole means coming from AA

FWIW AA should have and could have handled it alot better, but thats how LCCS are nowadays
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
AA's response sucks but is it pathetic? I think the hyperbole distracts from the validity of the claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.