Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Nice Write up of 80 year AA FA Bette Nash

Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/aviati...ant/index.html

She's been an FA for 50+ years!
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
Flown with her on the shuttle dozens of times!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for posting / sharing - very interesting!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:49 pm

Wow, have definitely flown with her several times at least, but never realized the story!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for sharing! I was on a flight with her a few months ago and talked to her a bit - couldn't believe how long she'd been flying.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:17 pm

Betty Nash is fantastic flight attendant. She has an adult child who needs insurance coverage. I think the executives who have kept her employed also deserve accolades. The Legacy airline industry until recently practiced age discrimination for flight attendants.

Last edited by Centurion; Dec 2, 2016 at 8:14 pm
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Nice story. Misread the thread title and thought that she had been a flight attendant for 80 years!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Nice article about a great FA. Bette Nash is what happens when Stewardesses are sent to Charm School as part of their training
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This should put to rest the idea that after a certain number of years FAs become bitter and angry. What a wonderful lady. Hopefully she has been a positive mentor to younger FAs.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
This should put to rest the idea that after a certain number of years FAs become bitter and angry.
It won't.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
In October, we flew with a cheerful 78 yo FA on a transcon. We overheard her saying she was going to work another year or two, as long as she could continue to qualify. I'm glad she likes her job and is good at it, but I do wonder at her ability to handle an exit door.

(of course I wonder that at half the pax sitting in the exit row...myself included. Just how heavy are they?)
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Nice! I few DFW-AUS a few weeks ago with an FA who I think mentioned she was the third oldest at AA. She seemed like she was all-Texas, with big hair and full of sass. She loved to fly and was a hoot to fly with.

Yes, kudos to AA for continuing to support FAs like this based on attitude and service ahead of age.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ehallison
We overheard her saying she was going to work another year or two, as long as she could continue to qualify. I'm glad she likes her job and is good at it, but I do wonder at her ability to handle an exit door.
I believe handling the exit door is the qualify part. If she's proven to the airline/FAA that she is capable, why do you wonder?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
It amazes me that with as senior as she is having been at AA for 60-years that of all the routes she could fly she does the DCA-BOS shuttle. Wouldn't she want to do longer routes where she works longer trips, but had more days off per month or are the shuttle flights preferred by senior crews?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
It amazes me that with as senior as she is having been at AA for 60-years that of all the routes she could fly she does the DCA-BOS shuttle. Wouldn't she want to do longer routes where she works longer trips, but had more days off per month or are the shuttle flights preferred by senior crews?
Its been mentioned before in other articles about her that she has an adult son who is disabled so working the shuttle allows her to be home every night to be with him.

Besides, early in her career with Eastern she moved to be a DCA-based flight attendant on the shuttle.

This was good news for her, because when Eastern sold the Shuttle to our President-Elect, she went with the sale. At Trump Shuttle, they all kept their original Eastern seniority dates. Meanwhile, those who stayed at Eastern lost everything a few years later when the rest of the airline went under.

When US Air bought out the Trump Shuttle, eventually, the FAs were integrated with the US Air union, and they all kept their original Eastern seniority date.

And now, with an integrated workforce at AA, she's at the top of the list.

Think of how many F/As had to start over seniority wise due to mergers, bankruptcies, etc. That Bette and her colleagues managed to slide through all the consolidation and keep their date of hire in tact is remarkable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.