Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: CLT / Charlotte to Aspen / ASE possible with regional service?

Speculation: CLT / Charlotte to Aspen / ASE possible with regional service?

Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
If anything, I'm surprised that AA hasn't added an ASE-PHX service. HP used to do it with a Dash-8-200. I'd think they'd add this before ASE-CLT. Of course, I'm still holding out hope for an ASE-LAS nonstop
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:52 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by JDiver
AFAIK, ASE has tricky conditions and airlines require pilots to have additional experience and training to fly there. This has been true since Aspen / Pitkin County airport installed MLS in the 1970s. Such might not be of interest to AA, given the extra risk ASE provides.

Link to Denver Post article "Winds complicate landing at Aspen airport, flight experts say"
ASE is a one way in one way out airport and is very tricky, but Eagle already flies from DFW, ORD and LAX in the winter so they have the training in place.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:45 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
CLT-EGE would be more likely.

Pre-HP US did this for a couple of years along with PHL-EGE, and continued it after the HP merger until 2007 or so.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

ASE vs. EGE

By all accounts, ASE is actually the busier airport despite the smaller jets allowed to land.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:33 pm
Suspended

AA would be much better off to launch EGE which is Vail/eagle. That would be much easier and between vail and aspen a much more reliable airport.

The problem would be eastbound out of ase. The CR7 could cruise west easily to ase no issue with grand junction as the emergency airport when you can't land in Aspen which is often do to wind.

The problem is east out of Aspen. Deltas cr7 is heavily weight restricted another 150 miles would be a no go. You could maybe sell 50% of the seats to take off out of Aspen not gonna be profitable. Skis are also very heavy. The problem is taking off out of Aspen the plane would be too heavy for takeoff to go another 150 miles needs even more fuel.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by SkiUtah
AA would be much better off to launch EGE which is Vail/eagle. That would be much easier and between vail and aspen a much more reliable airport.
additionally, nobody flies into Aspen unless they are going skiing at Aspen. People fly into Eagle to fly at any of about 5 resorts including heading back to summit county as well as Aspen

i think the post really ought to be "why not CLT to all the Rocky Mtn Ski Resorts?" but certainly Aspen would be pretty far down the list if they only pick one
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Could an E-175 be flown into ASE?

If so, an E-175 flying CLT-ASE would be a much more comfortable ride than an CR7.

Or would flying an E-175 CLT-EGE be better, assuming EGE would have more demand than ASE?

Looking back at service into EGE in January, Feburary, and March 2016 [the past ski season], for MIA-EGE and JFK-EGE nonstops, First Class was sold out well in advance almost every weekend during ski season. But I assume this may have been a result, in part, because of some connecting international traffic. With fewer non-stop international flights/destinations at CLT vs MIA or JFK, this could have some impact. However, weekend only CLT-EGE during ski season on an E-175 could have some surprisingly very profitable yields.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A4K
ASE is a one way in one way out airport and is very tricky, but Eagle already flies from DFW, ORD and LAX in the winter so they have the training in place.
I just saw that AA has announced nonstops to Phoenix seasonally starting Dec. 15. Now it's even more irritating to not have a flight from CLT.

Last edited by trvlr70; Apr 6, 2017 at 12:58 pm
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by trvlr70
I just saw that AA has announced nonstops to Phoenix seasonally starting Dec. 15. Now it's even more irritating to not have a flight from CLT.
you can connect from GSO in ORD or DfW to the Colorado ski towns like ASE. Does it really matter that much if you connect in ORD or DFW vs in CLT? If you are saying you'd drive to CLT to fly West, that's a different matter.

AA tends to fly to multiple CO ski towns from their hubs, not just to one. The exceptions I'm aware of are Miami and JFK to Vail. I think they'd only start ski flights from CLT if they did Vail, Steamboat, Telluride, AND Aspen, plus maybe Jackson Hole. Not sure they have the equipment to add those flights. But if they add just one from CLT, the history, probably based on where they can make money and sell enough seats, seems likely to be Vail more than Aspen.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:58 pm
Suspended

LIT is next
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
PHX is the airport from which AA serves smaller airports in the West. For example, if you're going to Spokane, you'll go through Phoenix. I suppose AA could run flights CLT-GEG but ....
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
you can connect from GSO in ORD or DfW to the Colorado ski towns like ASE. Does it really matter that much if you connect in ORD or DFW vs in CLT? If you are saying you'd drive to CLT to fly West, that's a different matter.

AA tends to fly to multiple CO ski towns from their hubs, not just to one. The exceptions I'm aware of are Miami and JFK to Vail. I think they'd only start ski flights from CLT if they did Vail, Steamboat, Telluride, AND Aspen, plus maybe Jackson Hole. Not sure they have the equipment to add those flights. But if they add just one from CLT, the history, probably based on where they can make money and sell enough seats, seems likely to be Vail more than Aspen.
I'd take CLT-EGE. It's an easy 1.25 hr drive to Aspen. And I often drive to CLT. GSO is a lousy, very limited airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.