Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prw555
Likely, but remember that 193 leaves after all the CX flights, so you will need advance notice of MX to get out the same day. BTW ; AA won't protect cleared SWU's on CX.
You sure about that?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon
You sure about that?
Yup, seen multiple instances, AA citing that CX say the base fare was "too cheap"... Interesting I have searched endlessly for a OW policy on this, but can't find anything.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by no2chem
With my bad luck on this typically easy upgrade route, I'm never going to use up these SWUs (well, I guess I can start burning them on LAX-LHR instead...)
Or try to use SWUs on LAX-SYD, while it is still a 77W before it switches to a 787-9 later this year.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:46 am
Suspended

.. AA won't protect cleared SWU's on CX.
They will in some instances in the case of schedule irregularity, it happens.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:55 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
I have been protected on an upgrade on CX. Had a DFW-HKG upgrade but was starting in NYC. My LGA-DFW went MX and they put me on a JFK-HKG in CX J. Got into Hong Kong 4 hours earlier also. I did have to insist they try as there was initial push back but JonNYC info on FT made me try.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
BTW ; AA won't protect cleared SWU's on CX. Another reason why they are worthless, given that AA have a demonstrated inability to operate a reliable HKG service, either ex LAX or DFW.
I wasn't aware of that. I wonder why they protected me on CX HKG-SFO just last month in business on my economy fare. I was originally on AA HKG-LAX which took an overnight delay.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
I wasn't aware of that. I wonder why they protected me on CX HKG-SFO just last month in business on my economy fare. I was originally on AA HKG-LAX which took an overnight delay.
Originally Posted by JTK
...I did have to insist they try as there was initial push back but JonNYC info on FT made me try.
<proud>

They-- as we see from examples-- can and do protect the upgrade on CX in some cases. Not as easy/often as on JL/BA/IB, but incorrect to say they don't ever do it.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
<proud>

They-- as we see from examples-- can and do protect the upgrade on CX in some cases. Not as easy/often as on JL/BA/IB, but incorrect to say they don't ever do it.
Will you get protected in the F cabin on CX if you're in award F?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Will you get protected in the F cabin on CX if you're in award F?
Certainly know of folks who have.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by uscjeff
If there are issues out of LAX delaying 193 how willing is AA to put you on one of the CX flights if there is room? Next month I am flying 193 in J and connecting to CX to BKK and would hate to miss that because of the issues outlined here. Does anyone know?
I was booked on a cancelled flight in December. I had used a SWU to upgrade to J. I was rebooked in J on Cathay without having to fight for it.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:30 am

Odds of SWU clearing on Sunday afternoon's HKG-LAX 192 flight? SWU requested about 6 weeks ago. Any historical trends on the Sunday flight? Seat map looks pretty good but obviously not a good source.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ckd38
Odds of SWU clearing on Sunday afternoon's HKG-LAX 192 flight? SWU requested about 6 weeks ago. Any historical trends on the Sunday flight? Seat map looks pretty good but obviously not a good source.
Pretty good if you are EXP. I bought a ticket with about 2.5 weeks advance notice and mine cleared 3 days out. This was for the Sunday afternoon flight from HKG. There were about 25 open seats in J when the upgrade cleared.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by badkneeski
Pretty good if you are EXP. I bought a ticket with about 2.5 weeks advance notice and mine cleared 3 days out. This was for the Sunday afternoon flight from HKG. There were about 25 open seats in J when the upgrade cleared.
As a data point, C space opened up 36 hours out but no upgrades cleared so I called into the EP desk to get it pushed through. Able to select a seat in the mini cabin too.

Unfortunately doesn't look like LAX-JFK redeye will clear, J1 30 hours out.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist
Does anybody have a good idea about the stats for 193 on Thursdays? (I'm waitlisted, as of 25JAN for 193 on 11MAY; EF: 33 seats open, J7 R7 D7 I7.)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dogdogcatcat
Does anybody have a good idea about the stats for 193 on Thursdays? (I'm waitlisted, as of 25JAN for 193 on 11MAY; EF: 33 seats open, J7 R7 D7 I7.)
I flew on April 6, cleared 72 hours out, waitlisted about 2.5 weeks out. There were about 35 open J seats when I booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.