Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Airbus A330 series "Envoy" Business Class Seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA (LUS) Airbus A330 series Zodiac - Sicma "Envoy Suite" Business Class Seat

The "Envoy" seat is a Business "suite" type product laid out in a 1 - 2 - 1 (A, C, F, H) layout, allowing all A330-200 and A330-300 Business passengers unimpeded aisle access. These seats were deployed by US before AA had lie flat Business seats. The A330-200 will continue to fly for AA for the foreseeable future; the A330-300, with the P&W engines, will be retired.

The seats are laid out at angles to the aircraft center line (reverse herringbone); window seats are angled toward the window, center seats toward each other. Rather than the seat forming the complete bed when flat, it articulates with a fixed ottoman, which has a modicum of storage for a personal item underneath. The seat is operated by a touch panel controller with a small storage niche nearby.

The medium sized 12.1" AVOD IFE screen folds into the suite wall above the Ottoman. There is a coat hanger on the aisle side, and an open shelf for your amenity kit or mobile while charging above the away-from-aisle arm rest area, with a controller, articulated spot lamp, USB and 110 VAC universal outlet power ports. Bose noise reduction headsets are proffered in flight.

On the A330-200 the 20 Envoy seats are in rows 1 - 5, as seen on SeatGuru here.

On the A330-300 the 28 Envoy seats are in rows 1 - 7, as seen on SeatGuru here.

Articles about this seat, with photographs, can be found here:

Link to The Points Guy blog: "Flight Review: US Airways A330 Business Class, Philly-Dublin" by Melanie Wynne, August 17th, 2015

Link to Boarding Area blog, Travel Codex: "Review: American Airlines A330 Business Class, Philadelphia to Paris", by Sriram Srinivasan | January 30, 2016

Link to the archived thread "A330-200: New Envoy Seats [MASTER THREAD]"

Travel Codex: General cabin layout in AA configuration

TPG: Legacy US Airways instruction card
Updated 1 Mar 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

AA Airbus A330 series "Envoy" Business Class Seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Ok... First of all, doesn't DUB have pre clearance? <redacted>
Sure does, but I'm not seeing the connection to this discussion.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Next week I'm flying the first time internationally on AA when I've not been on one of the plush 777's. I appreciate the A330 is an older aircraft so was wondering if it will be a lesser experience than my last AA flight which was the 777ER from MIA to LHR.

I'm then connecting onto LAS I think on a 737. We are in F. What kind of meal should I expect on my domestic leg and are the F recliener seats good for a sleep?

I did have a look around for this info before posting so apoligies if I've missed the obvious
The A330 has the same reverse herringbone seat as the 773ER, with a few minor differences. It is great for sleeping. Rest as much as you can on the A330 flight.

F on the 737 is similar to BA premium economy. Recline is better than Y and are good for a quick nap, though it is hard to get deep sleep. Make sure to check online for meal options when you are within 30 days of your flight.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:43 am

Flew this one for the first time the other day...rather enjoyed it. And to think it was the first of its kind - definitely would have been a no-brainer over 6/8-across angled! Plenty of space on the armrests, working power, surprisingly good IFE, and simple, intuitive controls. Only gripe would be the narrowness of the footwell at the knee area, which pretty much required that I have my legs crossed to extend them.

This product probably also has the best pure seat - as in the actual cushions that you touch - of any J product I've flown. Even with some of the better ones - CX J surprised me here - I find them to be hard and there to be large cracks between the back and bottom portions which can get kind of annoying after hours. This product actually felt like a piece of furniture I'd be happy to buy.

What was most surprising to me was how immaculate these seats were. There wasn't a bit of dirt to be found, and it looked like someone had used a good coating of Armor All on every inch of the plastic shells.

Would fly this again any day to the Caribbean or Europe.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Flew this one for the first time the other day...rather enjoyed it. And to think it was the first of its kind - definitely would have been a no-brainer over 6/8-across angled! Plenty of space on the armrests, working power, surprisingly good IFE, and simple, intuitive controls. Only gripe would be the narrowness of the footwell at the knee area, which pretty much required that I have my legs crossed to extend them.

This product probably also has the best pure seat - as in the actual cushions that you touch - of any J product I've flown. Even with some of the better ones - CX J surprised me here - I find them to be hard and there to be large cracks between the back and bottom portions which can get kind of annoying after hours. This product actually felt like a piece of furniture I'd be happy to buy.

What was most surprising to me was how immaculate these seats were. There wasn't a bit of dirt to be found, and it looked like someone had used a good coating of Armor All on every inch of the plastic shells.

Would fly this again any day to the Caribbean or Europe.
Great to hear that AA is being meticulous in aircraft upkeep. LUS, at times, was not so thorough. For being the first generation of this seat (actually ordered in 2009, and first installed in early 2010, at a time when AA had just finished installing its angle flat NGBC seat), US was forward thinking. And it still remains as one of the better products out there. This, along with small things like incredibly nice linens and PDBs in glassware on the ground, was one of the nice (but very rare) spots in which LUS was class-leading.

Despite lacking the bells and whistles of the AA version, when I'm in the seat, I find that I don't actually miss them, surprisingly.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
AA 332 Evnoy - preferred seat selection

Hi
As the title says, I didn't see many recommendations in the threads.

Are there preferred seats in the AA A332 business class / Evoy cabin? Will be travelling solo MAN to PHL in Dec, and have 1H for both legs.

I did read they keep a display / sign illuminated at night and might impact sleep?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:16 am

See here
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by NeilP
Hi
As the title says, I didn't see many recommendations in the threads.

Are there preferred seats in the AA A332 business class / Evoy cabin? Will be travelling solo MAN to PHL in Dec, and have 1H for both legs.

I did read they keep a display / sign illuminated at night and might impact sleep?
And see SeatGuru here. (And see the Wikipost at the top of the page.)

For illumination, if you don't have your own sleep mask AA includes one in your Business Class amenity kit.

Happy flying.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
My wife and I are flying PHL-SFO on AA877, a A330-200. We're in F (old Envoy lie-flats). I'm wondering the best arrangement for couple in those seats. The middle pair (C & F) seems a bit disconnected, and with each seat accessed from separate aisles, it may be a bit problematic for my wife to handle her own carry on with a unpredictable back. We booked 3 A&C, window and aisle, allowing me to pachyderm all the bags. Since we have never flown in the pmUS Envoy seats before, I wondering the opinions of those who have, particularly as a couple.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NovaEngr
My wife and I are flying PHL-SFO on AA877, a A330-200. We're in F (old Envoy lie-flats). I'm wondering the best arrangement for couple in those seats. The middle pair (C & F) seems a bit disconnected, and with each seat accessed from separate aisles, it may be a bit problematic for my wife to handle her own carry on with a unpredictable back. We booked 3 A&C, window and aisle, allowing me to pachyderm all the bags. Since we have never flown in the pmUS Envoy seats before, I wondering the opinions of those who have, particularly as a couple.
I'd say 3A and 3C is a good arrangement given your concerns. I'd also suggest back-to-back window seats (e.g. 2A and 3A), which would allow you to be on the same aisle and both enjoy the privacy of window seats. You wouldn't be able to have easy conversation across the aisle anyways.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NovaEngr
I would take the middle C/F seats if you want to have much conversation or sense of flying together. Yes they are a little bit separated, but at least you're facing each other, and it's not hard at all to chat or pass things back and forth, etc.

As to her luggage, it won't be a problem to just walk around through the galley to the other side to help her out (I had to do this on 4 QR flights last week with my girlfriend who was also unable to lift her carry-on into the overhead bins).

Sitting across the aisle in the A/C seats, you will be facing away from each other, and will have to turn and look somewhat over your shoulder in order to see each other. It's not very conducive to conversation.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Do I pick the 333 LHR - CLT or the 772 LHR - RDU.

How does the open suite concept match up, even with what looks like a narrower seat?

TIA
Old May 9, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Ceres
Do I pick the 333 LHR - CLT or the 772 LHR - RDU.

How does the open suite concept match up, even with what looks like a narrower seat?

TIA
Whichever is more convenient/cheaper. Service/food is the same and I have no problem with any of the 3 possible seats.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
How Are Biz Seats on TATL A330?

I have a res on hold for PHL to LHR next May, flying an A330. Any comments on how comfortable the Business seats are?
Thank you.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
In general AA's Biz Class seats on widebody planes are good and comfortable, with the exception of the B767-300ER. There are various seats and cabin layouts out there, but all have direct aisle access. The B767 ones I don't like at all though, they are too narrow.

Here is an article that gives you more information https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ameri...-seats-ranked/ about what different types of seats/cabins there are in the AA fleet.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
They are comfortable enough but very tired. A first generation of the current 777 product perhaps.
bchandler02 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.