Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PROMO: Convert Starpoints to AAdvantage for 20% bonus

Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:32 am
Original Poster

The offer is back:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...h-starwood.jsp

AA miles have certainly taken a hit lately, but Starwood will merge into Marriott in the not-distant future, and Starpoints will presumably take a big hit - compare Marriott's transfer rates to Starwood's. So it might make sense for some people.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
For those with an abundance of MR points, this is also an opportunity to convert MR points to AA miles at a slightly less disadvantageous rate (2:1) by passing them through SPG
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I routinely convert MR points to AA using MR Travel Packages, usually when there is a promo. The last time I received 180,000 AA miles for 120,000 MR points with a 50% promo, which is a lot better than this offer IMO.

When they combine programs sometime next year SPG points will convert to MR points somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 SPG point to 2 or 3 MR points; the latter more likely IMO.

Even at 1:1 without the 50% bonus, current SPG points converted to MR points would translate to 1:2 or 1:3 exchange of SPG points for AA miles, which is a lot better than 1:1.25 of this offer. Save your SPG points and cash them in for a MR TP once the programs merge.

BTW, you can't convert MR points to SPG points so there is no way to take advantage of this offer with MR points, nor would any savy MR member do so with the better exchange rates of the TPs available.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Even at 1:1 without the 50% bonus, current SPG points converted to MR points would translate to 1:2 or 1:3 exchange of SPG points for AA miles, which is a lot better than 1:1.25 of this offer. Save your SPG points and cash them in for a MR TP once the programs merge.
This is all very speculative. If I thought the value of the Starwood points would appreciate, I would agree with your course of action. Many of us do not - it's entirely possible the ratio could be 1:1, or Marriott may devalue their currency, given the high premium they had to pay for Starwood.

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
BTW, you can't convert MR points to SPG points so there is no way to take advantage of this offer with MR points, nor would any savy MR member do so with the better exchange rates of the TPs available.
That poster was referring to Amex Membership Rewards (MR), which are transferrable to SPG, albeit at a bad rate.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by nall
That poster was referring to Amex Membership Rewards (MR), which are transferrable to SPG, albeit at a bad rate.
Yeah, I got quite excited when I read that post. I thought the poster was referring to Marriott points and I'm sitting on an amount that is essentially worthless for Marriott stays but would be a decent amount of AA miles (even at a bad conversion). Spent a few worthless minutes with Google trying to figure out when they started allowing Marriott to Starwood transfers....
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy
Yeah, I got quite excited when I read that post. I thought the poster was referring to Marriott points and I'm sitting on an amount that is essentially worthless for Marriott stays but would be a decent amount of AA miles (even at a bad conversion). Spent a few worthless minutes with Google trying to figure out when they started allowing Marriott to Starwood transfers....
At higher amounts of MR, the transfer rates start to become interesting. They do periodically run transfer bonuses for Marriott as well, although the travel packages are sometimes excluded (but that's probably not relevant for you now.)
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nall

Yes. Thank you for clarifying that.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I took advantage of the offer today. 40,000 SPG points gets me 60,000 AA miles - which in addition to the 10,000 AA miles in my account is a one way business class flight from US to SE Asia. For me - that's a decent but not great deal. I currently value my Starpoints at 2.7 cents. So it's costing me $1,080 for my biz class flight. Not exceptional - but not horrible.

I have no redemption use for my Starpoints this year and expect a significant devaluation at merger. Although I don't expect this merger of points to occur for 9 months at least so I could've sat still and tried to redeem next summer in Europe (where good redemption opptys occur). Still, I figure a bird in the hand since I'm headed to SE Asia this winter. Who knows what will happen by next summer.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I took advantage of the offer today. 40,000 SPG points gets me 60,000 AA miles - which in addition to the 10,000 AA miles in my account is a one way business class flight from US to SE Asia.
Assuming of course, that you can actually find the inventory on AA.

Regards
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Not to worry... Cathay availability abounds in business!

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Not to worry... Cathay availability abounds in business!

-FlyerBeek
Exactly! I don't expect AA, but Cathay to HKG would be quite amazing in Biz. Worse case I'll use 60k to Japan on JAL and make my way down from there. Either way...
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Exactly! I don't expect AA, but Cathay to HKG would be quite amazing in Biz. Worse case I'll use 60k to Japan on JAL and make my way down from there. Either way...
what do you guys use to check Cathay availability for biz class award seats using AA miles? Do they restrict the amount of AA miles that can be used to redeem biz class seats versus their own Cathay members using Cathay points?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints
what do you guys use to check Cathay availability for biz class award seats using AA miles? Do they restrict the amount of AA miles that can be used to redeem biz class seats versus their own Cathay members using Cathay points?
I search CX availability using my BA Executive Club account. Availability isn't a 100% match to that available to AA, but it's very very close. While AA doesn't actively block CX award inventory, CX does make more space available for their own members (thus why searching for award inventory using my AsiaMiles account isn't particularly helpful if looking to redeem AA miles).

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:53 pm

I haven't used it specifically for Cathay, but recently used AwardNexus to search for award inventory and liked it a lot.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I search CX availability using my BA Executive Club account. Availability isn't a 100% match to that available to AA, but it's very very close. While AA doesn't actively block CX award inventory, CX does make more space available for their own members (thus why searching for award inventory using my AsiaMiles account isn't particularly helpful if looking to redeem AA miles).

-FlyerBeek
gotcha. thank you! i always wonder why AA doesn't make it easy for their members to search these award tickets. it seems like if BA can do it, i'm sure AA's systems can handle it too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.