Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of older posts from the OSO thread; for the current thread see

AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Is this the right place?
Last night after 6hs of back and forth my flight AA206 (MIA-MXP), it was a weekend trip, so I had to paid 1 night cancelation fee for the Hotel (non-refundable), plus I lost my Opera tickets that I had for Saturday night. Rerouting was not a option since could arrive on Sunday after 10, where I had a full day tour starting at 8:30am.

Anyway, I called today to AA, they said will avoid the change fee, but I will have to paid the fare difference, I can only go back to Milan in August, as long I do a layover of less than 23hs in NYC (due to work), or got the Labor Day weekend. Is that correct? do I'm missing something regarding the rules? it should be more flexible in this case? they had ruined my long weekend, and I'm not even asking for compensation, which I know I will not get.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by fedechat
Is this the right place?
Last night after 6hs of back and forth my flight AA206 (MIA-MXP), it was a weekend trip, so I had to paid 1 night cancelation fee for the Hotel (non-refundable), plus I lost my Opera tickets that I had for Saturday night. Rerouting was not a option since could arrive on Sunday after 10, where I had a full day tour starting at 8:30am.

Anyway, I called today to AA, they said will avoid the change fee, but I will have to paid the fare difference, I can only go back to Milan in August, as long I do a layover of less than 23hs in NYC (due to work), or got the Labor Day weekend. Is that correct? do I'm missing something regarding the rules? it should be more flexible in this case? they had ruined my long weekend, and I'm not even asking for compensation, which I know I will not get.
What happened that caused the 6 hours of back and forth. You probably should be able to get a full refund if it was a delay of that caliber or cancelation.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
It was a mechanical issue with the aircraft, after moving it to 8:45PM, they changed the gate (and aircraft) with a new departure time (11:45PM), but around 10:40PM I got a text from AA saying that my flight was canceled. My problem is I can fly until next month as long I can do a layover in NYC, or the next long weekend which is the first of September (Labor Day). My original itinerary was EZE-MIA-MXP-MIA-EZE. Per AA rules (or fare rules), I can only make a change within 7 days...

EDIT: After one hour over the phone, I was able to get MIA-LGA/JFK-MIA-MPX next month with a layover of 23hrs in NYC, for an extra charge of $86. At lest I don't have to wait until September, but the only downside (besides the extra charge), I will not get the same amount of miles as an EXP PLT.

Last edited by fedechat; Jul 3, 2016 at 10:40 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Metro NY weather mess July 28

It looked like NY was going to get slammed, but from relatives in the metro area say the storms mostly broke up. We were ground stopped in CLT (flight to JFK) earlier and eventually de-boarded and waited 4 hours in the lounge. 4PM scheduled departure, 8:45pm now and they are about to close the door finally.

Looks like multiple LGA and EWR flights delayed or cancelled to. But by all accounts JfK weather isnt too bad.

By the way, look at the flight plan filed for AA1972, we fly clear out to midwest before looping around the storm, 2:20min flight time for ehat should be a 1:40 flight.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by stephem
By the way, look at the flight plan filed for AA1972, we fly clear out to midwest before looping around the storm, 2:20min flight time for ehat should be a 1:40 flight.
Yowza, CLT to JFK by way of Dayton.

Of course, even if the storm doesn't directly hit JFK, widespread storm systems in the region can still wreak havoc.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
1h15m wait on the EXP line currently
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metallo
1h15m wait on the EXP line currently
Try the OSO line. (Google it.)
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
PHL was hit hard as well. my 230p flight to ORD was cancelled (also cause of weather in Chicago). Rebooked on PHL-BOS-ORD for this evening and PHL-BOS flight cancelled. Now booked on PHL-BOS-ORD in the morning. I feel lucky though, I heard them telling some people it would be Saturday AM before they could get them to ORD.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
It looked like NY was going to get slammed, but from relatives in the metro area say the storms mostly broke up. We were ground stopped in CLT (flight to JFK) earlier and eventually de-boarded and waited 4 hours in the lounge. 4PM scheduled departure, 8:45pm now and they are about to close the door finally.

Looks like multiple LGA and EWR flights delayed or cancelled to. But by all accounts JfK weather isnt too bad.

I took the 4:19 flight from CLT to Bradley (Hartford). We departed on time, a few bumps on the way, no biggies, and landed on time.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chiil1974
PHL was hit hard as well.
DCA too.

When 3 major AA airports and the rest of the Eastern seaboard are taken out, it's not surprising that the hold times are long.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Explorist, DL Silver
And if you look out the right window of AA1972 right now, you'll see an amazing lightning show.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

Storms aren't the only weather than can impact NYC airports. Heavy rain and/or low clouds reduce visibility which also impacts flying conditions. (High winds also have this impact)

But more broadly than that, one of the (sometimes maddening) things you learn living and flying in/out of NYC is that there doesn't need to be weather IN NYC proper in order for NYC to be impacted by ATC weather delays. In fact the ATC delay programs were in effect by midday yesterday while the storms were still over PA.

This is because the east coast routes are very congested, so any weather over those east coast routes causes issues getting planes in and out of NYC. Thus you can have ATC delays even when its sunny in NYC.

Which is exactly what I experienced a few weeks ago. Not a raindrop in NYC, sun was shining with a few scattered clouds. But storms over NJ/PA/DE had multi-hour ATC delays at LGA (And I presume the other airports).

And earlier this week, on Tuesday, there are ATC delays for 'WX/Thunderstorms' for all three NYC airports even thought he nearest thunderstorms were in Virginia.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive
Can confirm DCA is still a mess this am. Everything is delayed.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

We have merged your new thread into the existing OSO / IROPS thread. The Wikipost cintains useful information for those dealing with OSO (including the OSO number). /Moderator
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: AS
A few thoughts on JFK last night
First, let me preface this by saying that I really don't intend for this to be a ".....ing at American Airlines" post.

I had a miserably delayed flight from JFK-LAX last night (AA133) and I understand that these delays were due to weather. Fine, I get it, I understand that is part and parcel with air travel. However, while we sat on the tarmac, I popped out my iPad and began seeing the delays cascade. The pilots? Silent. It then occurred to me, in this almost completely connected world we live in, airlines can't do that anymore. As we sat there getting more and more annoyed the cockpit was silent, meanwhile, we saw each and every delay thanks to Flightaware and Flightstats. Finally, after over an hour on the tarmac, the captain turned back to the gate to get more fuel due to a new routing. Thanks for finally telling us this, despite us seeing it on Flightaware long before you said anything!

Which brings me to second point, it makes no sense to me that AA133 got assigned this very northern route over Canada, while AA83 (a later flight) kept their direct routing then arrived an hour and half earlier.

Before this pervasive connectivity, American could have kept all of this to themselves with no accountability to anyone about it, now though, we can see all of it. So I think it is time for their transparency in the cabin to improve, lest we continue to get angrier and angrier.

Finally, a few quick bullets
  • I have never seen more disdain from a flight attendant than when I asked for water at the end of the flight (from my middle seat with a sleeping man in the aisle seat). Excuse me for asking for water after almost 8 hours on the plan.
  • Drinks in general during IRROPS should be re-evaluated on nominally “premium” services like JFK-LAX. The cost of giving coach pax an optional free drink is less than a rounding error, the goodwill it could have earned, immense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.