Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation - Admirals club with low volumes & possible closure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

Not that I am wanting a club to close (I'd definitely like to see more of them)....

But.....of the AA destinations with Admirals clubs in the USA, which city has the fewest AA flights (flight numbers) and/or total seat count?

GSO? PIT?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Unfortunately I think my home airport PIT will be axed before too long.

There are probably a decent amount of ex-US elites and club members, but I can't imagine that the club would be meeting whatever metrics current management is using to decide club locations.

If SJU couldn't last, I don't see PIT being open - one possible factor helping could be the oft-rumored (re)start of a TATL flight by a OneWorld partner. Then again, IB restarted SJU and that didn't change the club situation there.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Did some "quick" schedule lookups. Appears PIT has a about 50 daily departures. Now, a lot of them are Eagle (DCA, JFK, BOS, RDU, LGA), but a not small number.

SAN appears to have a flight count in the high 30s but its all mainline save for the E170/75s to LAX.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Jul 27, 2016 at 10:22 am
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
SAN appears to have a flight count in the high 30s but its all mainline save for the E170/75s to LAX.
SAN does not have an AC.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
SJU was closed due to a rent dispute, not simply due to low numbers (to my understanding).

SAN is not an Admiral's Club but is a third party (Airspace) lounge that has a contract with AA to accept AC members.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The last closures were, iirc, BUF and SJU. SJC was less recent. SEA is now in the past, and of course there's the AS Board Room arrangement in place. I have to credit AA for launching new Clubs at IAH, MCO - and the recent refurbs, addition of some Flagship clubs and Dining.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by JDiver
SEA is now in the past, and of course there's the AS Board Room arrangement in place.
Would still love to see a proper AC in SEA at some point, but that's a ways off if ever... The D1 Board Room seems to yoyo between busy and heaving: I've not had a quiet and serene moment in that club in at least 10 years–and I used to live in Seattle. Perhaps when the new N Board Room opens (and if a high-C room opens as has been rumoured) the D1 club will settle back down.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Looks like GSO is the sure winner with 1364 daily seats (approximately) on 22 flights. 100% express right now.

PIT has 48 daily flights with approximately 2475 daily seats.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Jul 27, 2016 at 10:21 am
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...PIT has 48 daily flights with approximately 2475 daily seats.
And at least one UA guy who got the Citi Exec card for the sole purpose of accessing the PIT club
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I would be suprised if PIT was closed. I would not be shocked if it was moved and downsized when it is finally time for renovation...
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I doubt such a decision would be based strictly on traffic numbers or flights per day. Value of said passengers has to play some sort of role. I'm convinced that's why STL still has a club despite dipping down to forty something flights per day. To placate the strong, business driven FF base.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I doubt such a decision would be based strictly on traffic numbers or flights per day. Value of said passengers has to play some sort of role. I'm convinced that's why STL still has a club despite dipping down to forty something flights per day. To placate the strong, business driven FF base.
+1 ^ AUS only has something like 23 AA flight departures a day (+1 BA who use the AC), and I'm sure that it's not in any risk of being closed down.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I worry about TPA closing. A very nice club with great employees.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
Would still love to see a proper AC in SEA at some point, but that's a ways off if ever... The D1 Board Room seems to yoyo between busy and heaving: I've not had a quiet and serene moment in that club in at least 10 years–and I used to live in Seattle. Perhaps when the new N Board Room opens (and if a high-C room opens as has been rumoured) the D1 club will settle back down.
The Board Room on N was open when I was there in March. Not huge, but it's there.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:08 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Looks like GSO is the sure winner with 1364 daily seats (approximately) on 22 flights. 100% express right now.

PIT has 48 daily flights with approximately 2475 daily
GSO - if memory serves it was one of the original Piedmont Club locations (back to the Piedmont Airlines times) - GSO might still be a high yield destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.