Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-Elite Check-In Upgrade Over Plat 500-Milers

Non-Elite Check-In Upgrade Over Plat 500-Milers

Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ArrVea
Are Elites who have NOT requested a sticker/500mile upgraded for a flight offered a LFBU upgrade at check in? Wonder if someone in the same scenario as OP could have removed the sticker upgrade request and asked for LFBU option.

Just wondering how to move forward for upgrade requests. Is it better to not even ask for the sticker upgrades and roll the dice at check in.
IIRC back from PLT days years back if seats are wide open and you check in as a GLD or PLT you will be offered a sticker upgrade but not a LFBU. If you accept you must either have the stickers in your account or swipe your credit card for required number.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the insight. How long ago was that? Wonder how it works these days at the new AAmerican..
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:16 pm
Suspended

...Just wondering how to move forward for upgrade requests. Is it better to not even ask for the sticker upgrades and roll the dice at check in.
No sane person would make that recommendation.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Is it better to not even ask for the sticker upgrades and roll the dice at check in.
Personally, I would think not. I will continue to submit for sticker upgrades rather than roll the dice on LFBUs. I have no evidence to support this apart from my own experiences over the last year with sticker upgrades--my upgrades clear less frequently than they have the previous years--but I would imagine LFBUs are even more scarce.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
No sane person would make that recommendation.
Actually, I wholeheartedly make that recommendation to all AA elites. Don't ever bother requesting domestic upgrades, or even SWUs. They probably won't come through. Economy is in many ways better than F anyhow, and you'll just end up cluttering up the list.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by rjw242
Actually, I wholeheartedly make that recommendation to all AA elites. Don't ever bother requesting domestic upgrades, or even SWUs. They probably won't come through. Economy is in many ways better than F anyhow, and you'll just end up cluttering up the list.
I second that. Y is the new F/J!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjw242
If only more people had listened to you on Wednesday. My upgrade might have cleared.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Red face

sound advice then
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm a little confused -- are you suggesting that DODUs/LFBUs come out of whatever A/C inventory is published in the system? Because that, IME, almost never seems to comport with your previous statements about having enough set aside for elites awaiting sticker upgrades. I'd be quite surprised if general availability of A inventory factored in elites waiting for sticker upgrades.

Now, if the DODUs are offered as a subset of A/C that makes more sense, but I'm not sure why that would necessarily lead one to conclude that's a reason why they clear before elite upgrades.

Of course, another reason could be practicality -- they just can't process all the DODU's at the very last minute, since that's usually when they seem to clear the last bunch of elite upgrades. So they have to offer some starting as early as 24 hours.
A and C availability doesn't factor in to elite sticker upgrades, but at any given time there is a greater likelihood of having A or C available (and thus possibly enough A or C to offer DODUs) versus X or R (which would confirm the elite).

Are Elites who have NOT requested a sticker/500mile upgraded for a flight offered a LFBU upgrade at check in? Wonder if someone in the same scenario as OP could have removed the sticker upgrade request and asked for LFBU option.

Just wondering how to move forward for upgrade requests. Is it better to not even ask for the sticker upgrades and roll the dice at check in.
By design, DODUs are not and cannot be offered to elites on sticker-upgradeable routes. The only way for an elite to get offered one would be to remove their frequent flier number from the reservation.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
By design, DODUs are not and cannot be offered to elites on sticker-upgradeable routes.
Since this is part of my question to AA, what is the design reasoning for that?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Rec'd the following from AA Cust Svc:

Hello OneAnt,

First, on behalf of all of us here at AAdvantage Customer Service, thank you for being one of our valued AAdvantage Platinum members.

We're sorry to hear that you are having difficulty in using your upgrades however; this isn?t something our department handles.

When you?re able, please contact our colleagues in AAdvantage Platinum
reservations:

* From the U.S. or Canada, call 800-843-3000
* If you?re outside the U.S. or Canada, visit aa.com/phones to find the number for the reservations office nearest you
* If you're unable to call, you can also send us a Tweet @AmericanAir and our social media team may be able to assist.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Karen W.B.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines

P.S. Did you know that we have a way for you to Buy, Gift, or Share miles for yourself or friends and family? Visit aa.com/buymiles for more information.
Unsure how calling the same desk I spoke with multiple times last week will be able to answer my questions...

Anyone know where I can send this to get it to the proper group to address?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oneant
Rec'd the following from AA Cust Svc:

Unsure how calling the same desk I spoke with multiple times last week will be able to answer my questions...

Anyone know where I can send this to get it to the proper group to address?
This is their boilerplate cut 'n paste nonsense unfortunately (and even more unfortunately, not unexpectedly.)

Best plan is to write in again, referencing that that answer was non-responsive, and that your question is one of AAdv policy, not your inability to figure out how to use upgrades (someone here might very well have better language to suggest) but, in no case can you/should you try to figure out how to email it to "AAdvantage Platinum reservations" as there is no such thing. What -should- happen is someone at AA CR should read the email and offer to forward it for an answer as to what current policy is, has it changed and "what went wrong" in your particular case.

Again, someone here might have some better ideas, I personally never email them. Also reach out via Twitter maybe.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:00 am
Original Poster

I sent it back again, noting the initial reply did not address my questions, and used a different selection on the Cust Serv options. Will keep trying.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Next reply from AA. The AAdvantage Customer Service department is who I sent this to first, and is who directed me to the reservations department to use upgrades. Hope I don't get caught in a loop here.

July 27, 2016

Dear OneAnt:

Thanks for contacting Customer Relations.

In order to facilitate a response to your inquiry, I've asked my colleagues in our AAdvantage Customer Service department to look into AAdvantage program policies for you. They will assist you as soon as possible. In the meantime, thank you for your patience.

Of course, complete information about the AAdvantage program is always available at http://www.aa.com/AAdvantage. You can manage your account online when you login with your AAdvantage number and password. Should you have any further questions or need information regarding AAdvantage member policies, you may send an email directly to AAdvantage Customer Service at www.aa.com/contactaa by selecting 'Customer Service' from the AAdvantage section.

If you prefer, you may reach our AAdvantage Customer Service department by telephone at 800-882-8880. Ask for the "Main Menu" when prompted, and then request "AAdvantage Account Service".

OneAnt, we appreciate your participation in the AAdvantage program and look forward to serving you soon.

Sincerely,

Brent Ford
Customer Relations
American Airlines

AA Ref#X-XXXXXXXXXX
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oneant
Next reply from AA. The AAdvantage Customer Service department is who I sent this to first, and is who directed me to the reservations department to use upgrades. Hope I don't get caught in a loop here.
They -do- enjoy their petty torments, but, in this instance, I'd say this is the exact answer you're looking for. ("...to look into AAdvantage program policies for you")

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.