Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
CX has a "black friday" sale on premium economy right now through Nov 30 that seems like a great way to start next year with a bunch of EQM and EQD. I'm looking at LAX-HKG-AKL for $1852 in 'E', which should be about 38730 EQM and 5164 EQD earned. I think my normal travel patterns would be enough to reach EXP with one of those flights. You'd be almost there if you ran it twice for $3700.

Only concern I have is on CX's site when you look at the fare summary, under "Asia Miles Earned & Other FFPs" it says "AAdvantage No". But I don't see any other reason this fare wouldn't earn on AA. Any ideas?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ssbmoro
CX has a "black friday" sale on premium economy right now through Nov 30 that seems like a great way to start next year with a bunch of EQM and EQD. I'm looking at LAX-HKG-AKL for $1852 in 'E', which should be about 38730 EQM and 5164 EQD earned. I think my normal travel patterns would be enough to reach EXP with one of those flights. You'd be almost there if you ran it twice for $3700.

Only concern I have is on CX's site when you look at the fare summary, under "Asia Miles Earned & Other FFPs" it says "AAdvantage No". But I don't see any other reason this fare wouldn't earn on AA. Any ideas?
That's been a running error on CX's site about "E" fares for severalat least couple years.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp

AA could announce further changes, but there's usually some notice so for the earlier part of next year you should be fine.

Last edited by nkedel; Nov 24, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
That's been a running error on CX's site about "E" fares for severalat least couple years.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp

AA could announce further changes, but there's usually some notice so for the earlier part of next year you should be fine.
That's great to hear, I've never been on CX before, should be fun. I figure if I'm getting at least 2.5 EQD per USD spent until 12k, it's a pretty good deal.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:19 pm

I'd like to make a pratical calculation and i'd appreciate your input;I'm getting hit hard witht he 12K minimum spend and am really frustrated that on my last 2 transantlic trips I've earned 2000 award miles. 80 euro + taxes fares :-)

Now let's assume I book a E fare with british Airways LHR-MIA:

Distance miles = 4424
EQDs per mile flown = 20%
Is my EQD then 4424 x 20% = 884.8 USD?

Award Milles = 100%
so 4424 miles? Any bonus for EXP?

Thanks guys because if it works out I will make EXP next year and maybe that's a way for AA to keep the EU based customers in the loop as we have no CC offers that we can sign up for.

I greatly appreciate your feedback
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by AAbruflyer
I'd like to make a pratical calculation and i'd appreciate your input;I'm getting hit hard witht he 12K minimum spend and am really frustrated that on my last 2 transantlic trips I've earned 2000 award miles. 80 euro + taxes fares :-)

Now let's assume I book a E fare with british Airways LHR-MIA:

Distance miles = 4424
EQDs per mile flown = 20%
Is my EQD then 4424 x 20% = 884.8 USD?

Award Milles = 100%
so 4424 miles? Any bonus for EXP?

Thanks guys because if it works out I will make EXP next year and maybe that's a way for AA to keep the EU based customers in the loop as we have no CC offers that we can sign up for.

I greatly appreciate your feedback
You get a 120% bonus to RDM as EXP, so award miles would be 9733. I'm assuming that RDM and EQD are rounded up to the nearest whole number.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 5:04 pm

is the rest of my assumption correct?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:25 pm

I'm phone posting so I can't double check all the numbers and math, but the logic sounds correct to me.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
I have read this whole thread and am still super confused. I have booked 3 trips for next year so far, almost all on AA. How can I find the EQD value of these bookings? The e-mail confirmations do not show the fare + carrier-imposed fees, so I am totally lost. Is there a way to determine this without having to call the ExPlat desk every time?

Also, when I am booking new travel, it's great that the web site shows me the EQMs, but where can I find the EQDs?
Old Dec 24, 2016, 7:16 pm
ksb

PhoenixCMC, when you look at Your Trips on the AA.com website, click on an existing reservation then scroll down to the Cost Summary section. The first line is the base fare, the second line is taxes (so ignore it for EQD), and third line is carrier-imposed fees. Add lines one and three to get your EQD.

For new reservations, pick your flights and get to the Your Trip Summary section then click the Price and Tax Information link under the total price. The first two lines are base fare and carrier-imposed fees.

Does that help?
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by ksb
. . . click on an existing reservation then scroll down to the Cost Summary section. . .

Does that help?
Thank you for responding ksb. You have actually gotten to the root of my problem.

Here is one example: I have a reservation from the US to Shanghai (with a connection in DFW) on AA metal all the way and ticketed on AA, that I made last May for flights that are coming up in February of 2017. When I go to the trip summary on AA.com, there is no "Cost Summary section". It does show the entire trip for my wife and me, including seat assignments, and it shows that the SWUs have been confirmed all the way to PVG and back. But the only sections are Depart, Return, Reserve a Meal, Passengers and Upgrade Your Trip.

BTW, I also checked the original (May 2016) E-Ticket Confirmation e-mail, and the receipt portion has five columns: Passenger, Ticket #, Fare-USD, Taxes and Carrier Imposed Fees, and Ticket Total. So this doesn't help me with the EQDs either.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you price the itinerary out at matrix.itasoftware.com you should be able to identify the taxes component for the journey
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:57 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
BTW, I also checked the original (May 2016) E-Ticket Confirmation e-mail, and the receipt portion has five columns: Passenger, Ticket #, Fare-USD, Taxes and Carrier Imposed Fees, and Ticket Total. So this doesn't help me with the EQDs either.
Actually, it does. The Fare plus the Carrier Imposed Fees is the EQD value of that ticket. Maybe they didn't split out the taxes separately, so call them to find out that amount. Once they apply eVP's, the pricing disappears and the ticket is "exchanged."
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
I was hoping some experienced Flyertalkers can confirm this for me before I make a new booking

So I took advantage of the recent JL SEL-NYC F fare, and flew my first legs last week of December. Although it was AA codeshares bought on AA's South Korean website, the miles were awarded as "Method: Distance - special fare"

Another member also mentioned that the flights they flew in January actually awarded EQDs the same, providing EQDs based on a percentage of distance like they do on partners. I am curious if perhaps booking on a non-US AA website, such as the South Korean site, will provide EQDs based on distance and not the fare even on AA metal/codeshares.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
BA ticket stock - mixed BA and AA metal. EQDs?

Simple question: I book a ticket through BA with all BA flight numbers on BA stock. Some flights are on BA metal, some on AA metal. Are EQDs for all flights on the ticket calculated using the BA partner earnings page? Or are the AA metal flights apportioned some fraction of the ticket price for EQD earnings?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
I was hoping some experienced Flyertalkers can confirm this for me before I make a new booking

So I took advantage of the recent JL SEL-NYC F fare, and flew my first legs last week of December. Although it was AA codeshares bought on AA's South Korean website, the miles were awarded as "Method: Distance - special fare"

Another member also mentioned that the flights they flew in January actually awarded EQDs the same, providing EQDs based on a percentage of distance like they do on partners. I am curious if perhaps booking on a non-US AA website, such as the South Korean site, will provide EQDs based on distance and not the fare even on AA metal/codeshares.
Question on your outbound legs, were there any schedule changes or ticket reissued after purchase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.