Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX <-> MIA: Aircraft Used and Changes, Class Sold, Best Service, etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HofstraJet
LAX <-> MIA: Aircraft Used and Changes, Class Sold, Best Service, etc.
Aircraft scheduled on this route have recently included
Three class aircraft may be sold as two class aircraft, offering opportunities to elites to fly in better cabins.

Schedules do change routinely, and aircraft substitutions are not uncommon.

* The "32B" designation used by AA includes three variants of the LAA A321-200. All the LAA A321-200s have Sharklets wingtip devices: the A321S two class aircraft, A321H Hawaiian ETOPS variance and the A321T three class generally used between JFK and LAX, SFO. These are all "32B" aircraft in AA schedules; "321" is used by AA for non-Sharklets, LUS, A321-200s.

As of Dec. 4, 2017, there is no scheduled widebody service MIA-LAX/LAX-MIA through year-end. Will return in 2018.

Check schedule here: https://www.aacargo.com/downloads/schedule/WB_Nov1-Dec31_2017_US_Domestic.pdf
Print Wikipost

LAX <-> MIA: Aircraft Used and Changes, Class Sold, Best Service, etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Originally Posted by Djokison
The 77W is the only option here. The rest are domestic first seats.

Lucky for you, you're flying just in time, as the 77W will soon be off of the route.
It's gone by the first week of November. I'm on AA1088 (that had the 77W) then and it has changed to a 738!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by ellylex
Thank You.
I am planning on getting award tickets, and unfortunately AA doesn't have nonstop between LA and FLL. Only MIA.
That is why I was asking about AA flights and transporation from MIA.

PS I thought AA has lie-flat seats on this route (though flight 1538 -doesn't, only recliner seats) . Seatguru shows that they do.
So what does "standard domestic F seats" mean?
unless you can find availablility on the 1 daily 77W (which is around until November 1st), i really don't think the standard 38inch F seat (4 in a row) is worth it. Since you mentioned December, the only thing available on this route will be domestic F. Really depends on which day you are flying. I would just go with B6 or VX directly to FLL if I were you.

if you'd like FC seat, both of which are much better than the domestic F on AA, you can find sub $700 seats throughout the month. When you get a closer (like a month away), there maybe even cheaper seat available like $599 if they have enough seats open.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...;tt=o;sc=b;s=0
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by tphuang
Since you mentioned December, the only thing available on this route will be domestic F.
Sorry, I am not following your logic.

I am looking for business class (on a 3 class airplane) or first class (on 2 class) seat on AA using miles. AA only flies LAX-MIA, not to FLL. Yet, you keep suggesting buying a ticket with another carrier.

Seatguru shows AA flat business seats on this route (except flight 1538). You state "standard F seat" without elobarating.

PS 77W flies during the day, not on redeye. Plus You state yourself that it serves the route till Nov, while I need ticket in December. (((
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:48 pm

I am looking for business class (on a 3 class airplane) or first class (on 2 class) seat on AA using miles. AA only flies LAX-MIA, not to FLL. Yet, you keep suggesting buying a ticket with another carrier.

Seatguru shows AA flat business seats on this route (except flight 1538). You state "standard F seat" without elobarating.

PS 77W flies during the day, not on redeye. Plus You state yourself that it serves the route till Nov, while I need ticket in December. (((
My last post on this topic.

first class on 2 class configuration is not lie flat. From Nov 1 until end of year, it seems like there will be no more 77W on this route. And we don't know when 77W will come back.

I picked a random day in December to look at AA website for LAX to MIA. All I see are the B738 and A32B, which only have domestic First. I don't know any more than that.

I only suggested other carriers because they offered better first class seating. Now, I'm really regretting that decision.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold

Your ability to enjoy a lie-flat seat is subject to the availability of the 77W aircraft, which apparently won't be flying the LAX-MIA route when you plan to make this trip. Therefore, you'll be on a 2-class AA flight.

Since you want to fly AA using miles, and since your choices are flights using aircraft that have a standard recliner seat in First, why not fly LAX-DFW-FLL? Your connection time in DFW will be an hour or less, and after landing in FLL, it's a short shuttle/taxi/uber to Port Everglades Terminal and nearby hotels.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Thank You.
I am planning on getting award tickets, and unfortunately AA doesn't have nonstop between LA and FLL. Only MIA.
That is why I was asking about AA flights and transporation from MIA.

PS I thought AA has lie-flat seats on this route (though flight 1538 -doesn't, only recliner seats) . Seatguru shows that they do.
So what does "standard domestic F seats" mean?
Ahh I see. Yes, unfortunately at this point there is only one daily flight remaining with lie-flat seating and this is operated by 77W equipment. By the time of your trip though, this equipment will disappear from the route and all that will be left are standard domestic 737s and A321s.

Only real options to get lie-flats for you on AA would be to either route through JFK or DFW. If you can find the specific flights, you should be able to do LAX-DFW on 787 equipment and transfer to DFW-MIA on 777 equipment.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by cmd320
all that will be left are standard domestic 737s and A321s.
Yikes. I wonder if that also means AA will discontinue premium catering on this route? As of now, AA offers an upgraded meal service on this route just like JFK-LAX/SFO, as well as duvets and thick pillows.

I kind of wouldn't be surprised if AA did so, as there's no competition on this route, but still... this route was something special by AA.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Yikes. I wonder if that also means AA will discontinue premium catering on this route? As of now, AA offers an upgraded meal service on this route just like JFK-LAX/SFO, as well as duvets and thick pillows.

I kind of wouldn't be surprised if AA did so, as there's no competition on this route, but still... this route was something special by AA.
Do you know if they offer this service on the non-77W direct LAX-MIA routes? I've only ever flown business on the 77W, which comes with the premium service (and admiral's club access).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by sam2k2002
Do you know if they offer this service on the non-77W direct LAX-MIA routes? I've only ever flown business on the 77W, which comes with the premium service (and admiral's club access).
Yes, all LAX<>MIA flights get the same, upgraded service standards, regardless of aircraft (738, A321, etc) because of the one or two widebodies normally being served on that route.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Keep in mind Widebody Schedules for Nov/Dec still not available on AA website, we may see 77W or at least 772/763 on this route...
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
Your ability to enjoy a lie-flat seat is subject to the availability of the 77W aircraft...
Originally Posted by cmd320
Ahh I see. Yes, unfortunately at this point there is only one daily flight remaining with lie-flat seating and this is operated by 77W equipment.
Thank You for advice ... unfortunately, I was asked to book (it is not for myself) a nonstop flight. But nonstop only goes to MIA. Plus, it is not very comfortable to take two flights at nighttime.

What I am still confused about...seatguru shows that Airbus has flat seats in business and in first, but You mention that only 77W (which won't be serving this route in December) has it...

And tphuang keeps repeating "domestic F" without an explanation that I keep asking for. I have to guess that he implies that it is not a flat seat.

PS Seatguru shows flight 2471 Airbus 321, for example, as 3 class with flat bed seats in both business and first. Is Seatguru mistaken? Or I am looking at the wrong version of aircraft?

Last edited by ellylex; Sep 1, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Thank You for advice ... unfortunately, I was asked to book (it is not for myself) a nonstop flight. But nonstop only goes to MIA. Plus, it is not very comfortable to take two flights at nighttime.

What I am still confused about...seatguru shows that Airbus has flat seats in business and in first, but You mention that only 77W (which won't be serving this route in December) has it...

And tphuang keeps repeating "domestic F" without an explanation that I keep asking for. I have to guess that he implies that it is not a flat seat.

PS Seatguru shows flight 2471 Airbus 321, for example, as 3 class with flat bed seats in both business and first. Is Seatguru mistaken? Or I am looking at the wrong version of aircraft?
If the flight equipment is "32B" or "A321B" (and it is on this route, to my knowledge) then this is the seat map:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am...us_A321_V2.php

Standard, non-lie-flat, pretty cramped, domestic F seats.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang

I only suggested other carriers because they offered better first class seating. Now, I'm really regretting that decision.
Thank You for Your suggestions.

There is nothing to regret. It was little bit confusing for me since I was not familiar with the terms You used. And I simply asked You to elobarate on Your "domestic F" comment, but You still haven't. I was left to guess that it means that seat is not flat OR that You don't like it because it might be uncomfortable for some reason.

I try to be very specific when asking a question and it is somewhat confusing when answers happen to be off the subject.

PS Yet, I learned somethinh new: that "mint" stands for flat bed seat on JetBlue.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
If the flight equipment is "32B" or "A321B" (and it is on this route, to my knowledge) then this is the seat map:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am...us_A321_V2.php

Standard, non-lie-flat, pretty cramped, domestic F seats.
I see (((
I chose a "better" map )))

OK, is it more comfortable to be in this reclined seat than in economy one? OR getting Main Cabin Extra is equivalent to their Business seat? (if You know)

PS I do see 3 inch width difference
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I see (((
I chose a "better" map )))

OK, is it more comfortable to be in this reclined seat than in economy one? OR getting Main Cabin Extra is equivalent to their Business seat? (if You know)

PS I do see 3 inch width difference
I will asume you have never flow AA First Class on a Domestic flight right? (now called Business).

Just try to do a search on AA.com and click on "seats", if you see 16 seats in F with a 2-2 configuration, then is a A321 with 2 classes. Besides 77W never fly on red eye, only daylight flights unless is a last minute swap which I was lucky to get LAX-MIA on a red eye on January 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.