Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Applies for LAX-PEK (Beijing) - Now operating as of Nov 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AZ Travels the World
Los Angeles to Beijing service is now operating.

As of early November, 2017, schedule is:
LAX-PEK AA #181 - Depart 10:55 AM, Arrive 4:20 PM +1
PEK-LAX AA #180 - Depart 6:30 PM, Arrive 3:15 PM

Aircraft: 787-8
Print Wikipost

AA Applies for LAX-PEK (Beijing) - Now operating as of Nov 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Gotta assume 787 here?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Gotta assume 787 here?
I would bet so.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
With the tentative schedule in place, I'd have to assume 787-9 will operate the route as it times well to a three aircraft rotation of LAX-PEK-LAX-SYD-LAX. This is assuming there is no aircraft change in PEK, i.e. the plane bound for LAX is coming in from DFW. If that's the case, then the 787-8 would operate the route. The two scheduled 777-200ERs for LAX flying on November 5 are LAX-HND/NRT both of which rotate off one another in order to cycle through the aircraft, think DFW-NRT-LAX-HND-LAX-NRT-DFW-EZE-DFW. But hell, what do I know?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Good news! Now they need to try for LAX-TPE. I would definitely like a direct oneworld option from LAX
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:25 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by chenalex
Good news! Now they need to try for LAX-TPE. I would definitely like a direct oneworld option from LAX
I'd love to see AA at TPE, but I'd imagine with no connecting partners at TPE (I wouldn't count CX's connecting flights to Korea and Japan as that would be backtracking), and BR and CI already flying to LAX, the yields would be too poor to be viable for AA.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:35 pm
Suspended

I'd say AA expansion to Asia is over for now, focus will be on Europe.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm glad to hear this!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I have enough new BA service . Maybe something to East Europe or even to HEL year round.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by elpi
I have enough new BA service . Maybe something to East Europe or even to HEL year round.
I'm sure AA will find yet another new LHR route or frequency first.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wrp96
I'm sure AA will find yet another new LHR route or frequency first.
That too.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
I'd have to think AA will start LAX-ICN shortly after SQ ends LAX-ICN-SIN when they resume LAX-SIN nonstop. DFW-ICN has done well to the point where KE had to reduce capacity and codeshare with AA on the route. Yes, I realise OZ/KE own LAX-ICN to themselves but I'd have to think one of the largest international route pairings would eventually see a US carrier. Hell, maybe with the DL/KE JV, Delta could start LAX-ICN on their own metal.

I know AA wanted to add LAX-BNE/MEL using 787-9s in their proposed JV with QF but as long as the DOT denies their application, I'm not sure AA will be adding any additional Australia flying, even using 787-9s which are perfect for those routes.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:17 pm

Route is now available for booking. Flight is operated by a 787-8 until March 25, 2018 when it switches to a 787-9.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater
I'd have to think AA will start LAX-ICN shortly after SQ ends LAX-ICN-SIN when they resume LAX-SIN nonstop. DFW-ICN has done well to the point where KE had to reduce capacity and codeshare with AA on the route. Yes, I realise OZ/KE own LAX-ICN to themselves but I'd have to think one of the largest international route pairings would eventually see a US carrier. Hell, maybe with the DL/KE JV, Delta could start LAX-ICN on their own metal.

I know AA wanted to add LAX-BNE/MEL using 787-9s in their proposed JV with QF but as long as the DOT denies their application, I'm not sure AA will be adding any additional Australia flying, even using 787-9s which are perfect for those routes.
I think both ICN and MEL are in the plan long-term, the latter very much related to an eventual approval of the JV with QANTAS.

Competition on LAX-ICN is intense with Korea's two major airlines both having massive capacity in the market already, and very strong penetration into LAX area ethnic travel points of sale. Plus, Korean will soon have the wind at their back with the additional help of a Delta JV.

So AA would certainly be up against that. But that said, I think the bigger limitation right now, which isn't going to be "solved" for a while, is widebody-capable gates at LAX. With the gate realignment at T4, widebody gate space is at a decided premium. And T5 is about to get more gates, too. AA is going to be getting expanded/improved access to TBIT, which will obviously "solve" this problem, but that's still several years off.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Aviation Week:
DOT Grants American’s Beijing Request

The U.S. Transportation Department (DOT) has granted American Airlines’ request for an extension to begin its daily Los Angeles-Beijing flights. The flights will now start on Nov. 5.

<snip>

It granted the extension despite Delta Air Lines’ objections.

<snip>
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm surprised no reports from anyone on FT for this inaugural flight. I was at LAX yesterday and saw they had set-up some celebrations for the departure. A few tables of Chinese snacks, a troupe of lion dancers, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.