Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX vs JL F and J class question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:56 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I have an award with dates I like.

ORD-HKG CX J and RGN-HKG-JFK-ORD on CX (Of course JFK-ORD on AA)

I also have same awards in F except I cancelled and did not redeposit miles. Therefore I have one year from March 16 to find something that works out.

My question is am I better off on CX J vs JL J?
Same question am I better off on CX F vs JL F?

I think AA and MH are also options, what about those airlines in "J" or "F"?

Also do I need to start or end my trip by March 16, 2017, date I bought ticket I cancelled?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by thepla; Mar 16, 2016 at 10:36 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
My 2 cents:
J class: software JL, hardware CX
F class: software CX, hardware CX

AA and MH can't compare.

Of course also depends on how long you want your flight segments to be...etc

If you 'bought' a round trip ticket I don't think it can go past that date.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:40 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

thanks. I bought an award and cancelled but did not redeposit miles so I can reissue same starting and ending point in first class for old miles after March 22.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:40 am

one year from issue date of ticket (date of cancellation is not relevant).

also unless you're trying to save miles, you can force the J's into F's by adding an easy to find F segment at the end of the trip (that you need not actually fly on). For example, HKG-BKK or HKG-SIN. Then just switch the main segment to F when it opens up later on.

And CX >>>>>>>> JAL (for F anyways)
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:45 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingabraham3
one year from issue date of ticket (date of cancellation is not relevant).

also unless you're trying to save miles, you can force the J's into F's by adding an easy to find F segment at the end of the trip (that you need not actually fly on). For example, HKG-BKK or HKG-SIN. Then just switch the main segment to F when it opens up later on.

That is great advice, so my ORD-HKG (one way) add HKG-??? that has an "F" cabin and hope ORD-HKG opens up in "F".

On way back I have RGN-HKG-JFK-ORD, maybe just have JFK-ORD setup as "F" now and hope HKG-JFK opens up in "F".
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by thepla
That is great advice, so my ORD-HKG (one way) add HKG-??? that has an "F" cabin and hope ORD-HKG opens up in "F".
yes.

On way back I have RGN-HKG-JFK-ORD, maybe just have JFK-ORD setup as "F" now and hope HKG-JFK opens up in "F".
I don't know whether that works, since it'll only be a 2-cabin flight. maybe others know, or just call and find out. it would definitely work if it was F on JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX (and then just book a separate award from JFK-ORD).
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:39 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

yes.

I don't know whether that works, since it'll only be a 2-cabin blight. maybe others know, or just call and find out. it would definitely work if it was F on JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX (and then just book a separate award from JFK-ORD).
Since I have 4 awards pulled I can cancel j award and replace with unused f award. I only have 135,000 miles extra tried up for a year but no big deal.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:59 pm

entirely unrelated, but in your quote of my message, how did "2-cabin flight" turn into "2-cabin blight" ?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
also unless you're trying to save miles, you can force the J's into F's by adding an easy to find F segment at the end of the trip (that you need not actually fly on). For example, HKG-BKK or HKG-SIN. Then just switch the main segment to F when it opens up later on.)
Would this work if you're checking luggage as well? Wouldn't the bags go to the final destination?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by zhaofa90
Would this work if you're checking luggage as well? Wouldn't the bags go to the final destination?
yes, I forgot some people travel with bags

According to the award change wiki, "Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone" BUT I have not seen anyone say that rule will apply for the separate question of what will incur a reprice post-deval. But if you can confirm from someone that there is no reprice, then you can theoretically just drop the last segment at some point prior to travelling.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
entirely unrelated, but in your quote of my message, how did "2-cabin flight" turn into "2-cabin blight" ?
Borget about it!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I like the CX seat a bit more, but the JL F experience was way better for me overall than CX F.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Anyone that is saying CX >>>>>>>>>>>> JAL for F has simply never flown both (or at least has not flown both more than once). That is truly preposterous.

JAL F has a slightly smaller seat with less privacy, but the food is heads-and-shoulders better, and the service isn't even comparable (hint: JAL is better). CX wins on bed quality, seat comfort (by a nose), ground lounges, and IFE, while JAL wins everywhere else. JAL even has Wifi so 12+ hours don't have to be entirely productive.

I don't know WHERE this whole notion that JAL F is a downgrade from CX F, but I can't disagree more, and I dismiss anyone who says that they aren't at least in the same league.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mtkeller
I like the CX seat a bit more, but the JL F experience was way better for me overall than CX F.
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Anyone that is saying CX >>>>>>>>>>>> JAL for F has simply never flown both (or at least has not flown both more than once). That is truly preposterous.

JAL F has a slightly smaller seat with less privacy, but the food is heads-and-shoulders better, and the service isn't even comparable (hint: JAL is better). CX wins on bed quality, seat comfort (by a nose), ground lounges, and IFE, while JAL wins everywhere else. JAL even has Wifi so 12+ hours don't have to be entirely productive.

I don't know WHERE this whole notion that JAL F is a downgrade from CX F, but I can't disagree more, and I dismiss anyone who says that they aren't at least in the same league.
Agree-- it's nonsense. And, I'm sure like many here, I've flown many great F-classes SQ, EK, EY, LH, NH, QR, TG, many others, and, I'd say JL F is better than CX F in some areas, worse in others, but they most certainly are in the same league.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:44 pm

LOL. Haven't flown CX in the past 10 years, have you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.