Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When Bose Headsets go Missing (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Bose Headsets go Missing (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by neo_781
Based on what the Flight Attendants were saying, I think AA must have a very punitive process where the FA is charged for the lost set or something of that nature.
+1. It is quite out of proportion to the bad impression created on high-value customers who are accused individually or as a group. One of my friends was unjustly and aggressively accused of having nicked a headset on his first business class flight on AA. He's never set foot on an AA plane again.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I was sitting in the back of Y once when an FA couldn't find his art sketch book mid flight, and started searching all over.

Some other nosey FA took it upon herself to begin making increasingly accusatory announcements, clearly implying a pax had stolen it, until finally the embarrassed initial FA made her stop.

I almost reported the accusatory one, but didn't want to get the other poor guy in trouble, too.

Really weird.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Mar 8, 2016 at 11:49 pm Reason: Damn you, autocorrect.....
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:47 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When they distribute IFE (including headphones), they usually make a notation on paper of who received them (some pax don't want them). For many bc flights I've flown, (an hour) before landing they collect what was distributed--they rarely check off the return at that moment, that's done (I guess(?)) in the galley. I've always been uncomfortable with that procedure--am I being "credited" with my return?

Last edited by nrr; Mar 9, 2016 at 3:08 am
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I was sitting in the back of Y once when an FA couldn't find his art sketch book mid flight, and started searching all over.

Some other nosey FA took it upon herself to begin making increasingly accusatory announcements, clearly implying a pax had stolen it, until finally the embarrassed initial FA made her stop.

I almost reported the accusatory one, but didn't want to get the other poor guy in trouble, too.

Really weird.
I thought you always sat in F
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:27 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
[LAWYER HAT ON] No they can't. For starters, there's false imprisonment (similar to kidnapping, but without the transportation requirement). It's a felony in most jurisdictions. Interestingly, it's also a tort, meaning that you have the right to sue for damages in a civil action. If you're arriving on an international flight, that can complicate things a bit, since the airline may be able to get CBP to cooperate with excuses. But AA can't hold pax indefinitely over a $300 pair of headphones. [/LAWYER HAT OFF]
They certainly can't hold you there indefinitely, but I think they could justify searching your carryons on the way out if they really wanted to.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by cbn42
They certainly can't hold you there indefinitely, but I think they could justify searching your carryons on the way out if they really wanted to.
I really doubt it. Maybe police could, but the airline would open itself up to lawsuits.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:02 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by nrr
When they distribute IFE (including headphones), they usually make a notation on paper of who received them (some pax don't want them). For many bc flights I've flown, (an hour) before landing they collect what was distributed--they rarely check off the return at that moment, that's done (I guess(?)) in the galley. I've always been uncomfortable with that procedure--am I being "credited" with my return?
This is where the problem starts with. They never checked off the paper. It clearly shows seat assignment, and right under it HEADSET, TABLET, ADAPTER. As they are handed out, they get marked, but not checked o cross-referenced when collected. I have my own pair of Bose, and have experienced the double checking and FA asking if those are the AA headphones.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by cbn42
I agree, the same as in a department store.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Was on a flight NRT-DFW (777-200) in December and a nose headset went missing.

First announcement was along the lines of "We're missing a few Bose headsets, please check and make sure you don't have one."

Second announcement was more "We're still missing one Bose headset, we need them all to be accounted for so please double check around you and make sure it hasn't fallen beside your seat"

Third announcement was a bit more forceful and was more "Ladies and gentlemen we really need all Bose headsets returned, so whoever has the headset please return it."

And finally, the final announcement was along the lines of "Ok guys we are still missing the final Bose headset. I guess some people just want bad Karma in their lives. The headphones are not yours to keep and this is stealing."

(Obviously I am paraphrasing the announcements).

It appears whoever refused to return the headphones kept them and deplaned with them. No threats were made and no one was prevented from deplaning.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Maybe it works out even in the end; some people take the AA Boses, some people leave their personal Boses, other headsets, iPads, iPhones, Kindles, etc, etc onboard
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I haven't flown business on an AA 777-300 (was US flyer)...do regular/personal headphones work with the ife? Just asking because I'll have personal kid sized headphones for DD (5 years old). I'm afraid the Bose ones provided might be too large for her so I thought she'd probably just use hers.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:55 am

The FAs should do everything reasonable and consistent with good customer service to retrieve headsets. But inevitably some will be lost to "spoilage." In the end, we pay for that in ticket prices.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Hokie Gator Flyer
I haven't flown business on an AA 777-300 (was US flyer)...do regular/personal headphones work with the ife? Just asking because I'll have personal kid sized headphones for DD (5 years old). I'm afraid the Bose ones provided might be too large for her so I thought she'd probably just use hers.
You just need to use one of the two-prong adapters shown earlier in this thread.

They used to carry a few on the plane for passengers to borrow, not sure if they still do though so probably best to bring your own.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
[LAWYER HAT ON] No they can't. For starters, there's false imprisonment (similar to kidnapping, but without the transportation requirement). It's a felony in most jurisdictions. Interestingly, it's also a tort, meaning that you have the right to sue for damages in a civil action. If you're arriving on an international flight, that can complicate things a bit, since the airline may be able to get CBP to cooperate with excuses. But AA can't hold pax indefinitely over a $300 pair of headphones. [/LAWYER HAT OFF]
Criminal jurisdiction would be a fascinating question; I would wonder where the criminal line would fall holding passengers against their will to find a set of headphones in England. In any event, I would imagine that it's not well defined in law, like many topics in England (though I'm not a solicitor, I only play one on TV). At least in the US, the only jurisdiction that would really matter is federal, since a commercial aircraft on the ground in the US with the doors closed are federal jurisdiction... Is it your suggestion that, were this to happen in the US, holding passengers on a plane would constitute a federal crime?

I would imagine, though I have no American lawyer hat to wear either, that there are carveouts in the USC and FARs that would allow airlines to get away with a lot worse than this, though I'd also imagine reasonableness and proportion would enter in at some point... I'm genuinely curious though, as this is an interesting question. ^ I'd also be curious about tort is handled in such situations: are commercial aircraft with their doors closed subject to state tort laws, or would such a suit have to be brought in federal court, under federal laws?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Microwave
I'd also be curious about tort is handled in such situations: are commercial aircraft with their doors closed subject to state tort laws, or would such a suit have to be brought in federal court, under federal laws?
I figured that whenever you set foot on an AA aircraft, you're magically transported to the legal landscape of Fort Worth (at least with regard to civil cases):

These Conditions of Carriage are governed by and are to be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Texas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.