Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL in Business, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Question TATL in Business, what to expect?

Will be traveling from DFW to Madrid the first week in May. This will be my first trip on AA after many years flying TATL in Business on Continental/United.
How will the comfort, amenities, etc. compare?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
That depends on which aircraft you will be flying on...

77W/787/763 reconfig- new business lay flat seats. Great product from my experience.
772/old 763- outdated J product with slanted J seats- something to avoid if at all possible.

Catering would be the same.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
Will be traveling from DFW to Madrid the first week in May. This will be my first trip on AA after many years flying TATL in Business on Continental/United.
How will the comfort, amenities, etc. compare?
We have threads covering specific aircraft types, international menus, etc. Perhaps some of those can fill in some of the blanks. (You've not even taken the time to tell us what kind of aircraft you have on your flight.)

E.g. Advanced search titles only, results as threads, keywords "767", "777", menu, etc. Use quotation marks for search terms using very common words or three or fewer characters; case is not taken into consideration by search.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
We have threads covering specific aircraft types, international menus, etc. Perhaps some of those can fill in some of the blanks. (You've not even taken the time to tell us what kind of aircraft you have on your flight.)

E.g. Advanced search titles only, results as threads, keywords "767", "777", menu, etc. Use quotation marks for search terms using very common words or three or fewer characters; case is not taken into consideration by search.
On my itinerary the aircraft is listed as a 777. (Sorry for the omission/ not taking the time to list!)
I remember reading a year ago that the old AA 777 aircraft were being modernized and new 777 were entering the fleet, so I was wondering how far ahead of flight date would one finally know which 777 is it?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
On my itinerary the aircraft is listed as a 777. (Sorry for the omission/ not taking the time to list!)
I remember reading a year ago that the old AA 777 aircraft were being modernized and new 777 were entering the fleet, so I was wondering how far ahead of flight date would one finally know which 777 is it?
I highly doubt you'll see the new 77D/772 (version with the all-business lie flat premium cabin) on this route. I have a flight booked on DFW-MAD in September and it's showing the 777 (aka 777-200 old J seat)

LOTS of trip reports on J flights in the old, NGBC product. E.g. HERE, and HERE, or HERE. ^
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
I use this flight on a fairly regular basis and it has always been on the 777-200 (old ski-slope J). I use SWUs to get First which is fine, even though a little worn.

If I was not able to upgrade to First I would avoid this flight and do DFW-LHR-MAD if possible. AA50 DFW-LHR is on the new 77W with the lie-flat J seats. Much better experience.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The 777-200ER fleet has 47 aircraft, all of which were three class aircraft furnished with the angled flat "NGBC" Business seats. They were all to be refurbished with a Cabin Improvement Program (now nomFirst) and all horizontal flat, all aisle access, seats from Zodiac (also seats provider for the 787-8). Zodiac couldn't produce these AA-customized design seats on time, so AA canceled the contract and sued.

13 of 47 are refurbished, perhaps another dozen to be furnished with the Zodiac seats. AA hasn't selected the manufacturer of the seats for the remaining aircraft, but you can see there's less than a 25% chance you'll get a CIP 772.

Several "777" threads with information about the aircraft, seating, etc.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
If you are on AA36 from DFW to MAD first week in May, they are using the 772 with old outdated J slanted seats. That is what the seat map shows.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
I use this flight on a fairly regular basis and it has always been on the 777-200 (old ski-slope J). I use SWUs to get First which is fine, even though a little worn.

If I was not able to upgrade to First I would avoid this flight and do DFW-LHR-MAD if possible. AA50 DFW-LHR is on the new 77W with the lie-flat J seats. Much better experience.
Whether a better seat is worth another few hours and a change in LHR is something for OP to consider.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Whether a better seat is worth another few hours and a change in LHR is something for OP to consider.
+1. I'm doing DFW-MAD-TLV solo and don't mind the NGBC J seat. But I have a trip with my younger child where I chose to route DFW-CLT-MAD-TLV (on PMUS A330) so we could get the fully flat products. She can't sleep on the angled J seat, and keeps sliding to the bottom and whines too much!
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I'm flying this the other way in May (MAD-DFW). I never sleep westbound - just eat, drink and watch movies - so assume this will be a perfectly adequate / comfortable product for that? My connecting flight is on the 787 and I'll sleep on that one
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
I'm flying this the other way in May (MAD-DFW). I never sleep westbound - just eat, drink and watch movies - so assume this will be a perfectly adequate / comfortable product for that? My connecting flight is on the 787 and I'll sleep on that one
This is basically how I look at it as well. Flying east? Get a fully flat bed on a 77W, 772 refurb or PMUS A330. Flying west? Less picky.

...though the old 777 J has the worst IFE of these listed above. For IFE in J:

1. 77W / 787 / 77D
2. A330
3. 777 NGBC
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by econometrics
This is basically how I look at it as well. Flying east? Get a fully flat bed on a 77W, 772 refurb or PMUS A330. Flying west? Less picky.

...though the old 777 J has the worst IFE of these listed above. For IFE in J:

1. 77W / 787 / 77D
2. A330
3. 777 NGBC
Just how bad is the IFE? Is it at least on demand with 20+ movies, or is it like the old UA 767s I used to fly when US were in Star, with just a handful of movies on a loop?

My return JFK - MAD is in the new 763 business cabin, which looks really nice, and follows a GRU - JFK on the 77W.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Just how bad is the IFE? Is it at least on demand with 20+ movies, or is it like the old UA 767s I used to fly when US were in Star, with just a handful of movies on a loop?

My return JFK - MAD is in the new 763 business cabin, which looks really nice, and follows a GRU - JFK on the 77W.
I guess it depends on who you ask "How bad is it?"

I'm not sure how many movies, but it's always been sufficient for me for an 8-10 hour flight. Quite a few TV episodes, and a decent selection of movies. Not the larger libraries of the 787/77W, but plenty for a TATL flight.

On the 763's, they use the Samsung tablets, which also has a good selection of media.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:10 pm

I have 4 TATL flights coming up this year, all MIA-MXP round-trip, in business.

Does anyone have experience with whether these flights (AA206 and AA207) have been "cabin improved"? Angle vs. lie-flat? Or how the entertainment systems in business class are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.