Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

How much insurance coverage for award travel: SYD to SJC?

Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:40 am
Original Poster

I am seriously thinking of buying a travel ins especially to cover a potential scenario when my trip might be delayed in SYD due to a cause covered by insurance.

It is an AA award tkt on Qantas and Alaska metal for party of 4 at 37.5k

I appreciate it.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What's the "potential scenario" you fear? What type of credit card did you use to pay the associated fees for your award travel? Does that card include travel insurance for award tickets?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What's the "potential scenario" you fear? What type of credit card did you use to pay the associated fees for your award travel? Does that card include travel insurance for award tickets?
I don't know if questions can be answered by questions - some are personal and can not be shared.

Just by paying taxes with CC, I am going to get a travel ins? I never heard of it. Which cars issues travel ins for paying taxes? Does it have to be a AA cc?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Just by paying taxes with CC, I am going to get a travel ins? I never heard of it. Which cars issues travel ins for paying taxes?"

Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Mileage Plus Explorer are two that I know of.

"I don't know if questions can be answered by questions"

Perhaps not, but some questions cannot be answered at all if they are too general. While you certainly do not have to share anything personal with the forum, are you certain that the "potential scenario" you are concerned about is a covered peril under any travel insurance you can purchase? And when you ask "how much insurance?", have you found companies that offer different amounts of coverage on a travel-insurance policy? And what are you trying to insure against? The cost of additional food and lodging in SYD? The fees to re-deposit your miles? The cost of purchasing last-minute cash tickets if you cannot find award seats on your new departure date?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought your trip was soon?

Originally Posted by sciconf
I am seriously thinking of buying a travel ins especially to cover a potential scenario when my trip might be delayed in SYD due to a cause covered by insurance.

It is an AA award tkt on Qantas and Alaska metal for party of 4 at 37.5kt.
You should always have health-medical-evacuation insurance to home insurance.
Evacuation can easily go to $200,000 (or more) if you get hit by proverbial bus or what ever. Your existing USA health insurance may not cover you out of USA.

Can be hard and/or very expensive a to insure against a pre existing condition or existing situation. If not disclosed the insurance could decline to pay out.

Some of your other threads have hinted at changing the trip (as 1st & 2nd link)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...d-lax-sjc.html "If there an emergency, can I able to advance it?"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-my-award.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...d-lax-sjc.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...yd-rental.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...1613431&query=

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 11, 2016 at 1:38 am
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

"Just by paying taxes with CC, I am going to get a travel ins? I never heard of it. Which cars issues travel ins for paying taxes?"

Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Mileage Plus Explorer are two that I know of.
Let me get this correct - those two CCs, irrespective of the rewards program (AA, MR, UR ...) if you pay the taxes, they will give insurance for your trip? In any case, mine is regular Chase Sapphire with no annual fee.

[SIZE=1]
"I don't know if questions can be answered by questions"

Perhaps not, but some questions cannot be answered at all if they are too general. While you certainly do not have to share anything personal with the forum, are you certain that the "potential scenario" you are concerned about is a covered peril under any travel insurance you can purchase?
That's exactly what I stated on my original post.

[SIZE=1]And when you ask "how much insurance?", have you found companies that offer different amounts of coverage on a travel-insurance policy? And what are you trying to insure against? The cost of additional food and lodging in SYD? The fees to re-deposit your miles? The cost of purchasing last-minute cash tickets if you cannot find award seats on your new departure date?
When I get quotes, the web sites ask how much was the cost of the trip - what would be an optimal amount to put for an award ticket - I am only concerned about my rtn trip - it was hard to get the award booked in the first place. Due to an emergency, if I had to postpone the trip by a week, I have no clue what I am up against ... availability of an award ticket? If not pay out of ticket? I am mostly looking for the rtn ticket - might be food & incidental - I am sure the insurance will cover hotel too.

What should I enter as the cost of the trip? How much coverage should I get? I appreciate some range?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I thought your trip was soon?

You should always have health-medical-evacuation insurance to home insurance.
Evacuation can easily go to $200,000 (or more) if you get hit by proverbial bus or what ever. Your existing USA health insurance may not cover you out of USA.

Can be hard and/or very expensive a to insure against a pre existing condition or existing situation. If not disclosed the insurance could decline to pay out.
Thanks
My trip is soon - I got my rental car insurance taken care by CCs. Thanks for the tip on health ins - I should be ok with it. My travel dates were mostly adjusted to suit the conditions in the USA.

What is remaining is if conditions in SYD makes to me to delay my trip, returning home is what I am now worried about - insurance?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:11 am

Just throwing this out there. Keep in mind that the insurance companies don't take kindly to fraud.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

It is an AA award tkt on Qantas and Alaska metal for party of 4 at 37.5k

I appreciate it.
None, IMO. If you cancel, you get the miles and taxes back, you pay $150 for redeposit (unless you're EP or the award is canceled by AA or the flight times change significantly - hours or more). Or if you redeposit two awards from the same account, $175. (You have two awards.)

There is no insurable value on the ticket beyond the $150+25 miles reinstatement fee. If you need other insurance - travel delay, cancelation (perhaps because of nonrefundable prepaid hotels and tours), Healy - go to InsureMyTrip.com and check what's on offer.

Moving thread to proper forum. /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 11, 2016 at 10:45 am
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Deleted.)

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 11, 2016 at 10:50 am
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am only concerned about my rtn trip - it was hard to get the award booked in the first place. Due to an emergency, if I had to postpone the trip by a week, I have no clue what I am up against ... availability of an award ticket?
What is remaining is if conditions in SYD makes to me to delay my trip, returning home is what I am now worried about - insurance?
Having trouble trying to think of a geninue condition/emergency/potential scenario that would not be covered by trip-travel insurance. Medical, delay, weather and other are normal with good travel-trip insurance. But travel-trip insurance policys have a lot of fine print. Just wanting to change is at your cost.

Originally Posted by Djokison
Just throwing this out there. Keep in mind that the insurance companies don't take kindly to fraud.
Insurance companies have seen it all before. They are always trying not to pay out.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 11, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all my friends - I purchased the policy for $94.

Thanks @JDiver for nailing it.

As per @Travel K, I purchased it on Travelex.

Answers to my original question:
- For each passenger, I enter the potential charge for depositing the points back as advised by Travelex: so it was $150, $150, $25 and $25
- Because of the two criteria they used, breakdown was $47, $47, 0 and 0 made up the $94.
- Included Medical Evacuation / Repatriation of Remains of $500,000

This was the most time consuming travel planning - I appreciate your tips - someone on this forum said that there is no pre-exisiting condition for my trip so I waited till the last minute - was too busy.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Could someone clarify this:
Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Mileage Plus Explorer, irrespective of the rewards program (AA, MR, UR ...) of your trip, if you pay the taxes with any of this card, they will give travel insurance for your trip for no additional cost?

I just have automatically upgraded to AA World Elite with $450 annual fee - Does it give free access to Admirals Club? How about travel insurance?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Could someone clarify this:
Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Mileage Plus Explorer, irrespective of the rewards program (AA, MR, UR ...) of your trip, if you pay the taxes with any of this card, they will give travel insurance for your trip for no additional cost?"

Yes, they do. But for your situation, the insurance would be nearly worthless. It might only cover what you paid in cash for your AA awards. The coverage would be better for a trip delay caused by weather, flight cancellation, mis-connect, etc. You should be able to find the benefits guide for these cards via a Google search. And your no-fee Chase Sapphire card might provide some coverage too. My no-fee Chase Freedom card provides Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage, but not Trip Delay coverage. Note that credit-card coverage typically does not extend to pre-existing conditions.

With a little luck, if you must change the departure date of your SYD-SJC trip, you will be able to find award seats on the same carriers, and not incur any change fees.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Could someone clarify this:
Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Mileage Plus Explorer, irrespective of the rewards program (AA, MR, UR ...) of your trip, if you pay the taxes with any of this card, they will give travel insurance for your trip for no additional cost?

I just have automatically upgraded to AA World Elite with $450 annual fee - Does it give free access to Admirals Club? How about travel insurance?
Yes, you get an Admirals Club membership with the AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ MasterCard®.

Travel insurance and emergency evacuation are provided only if you paid for the entire cost of your trip with your Citi card. Details of what's covered are available here: Travel Protection Benefits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.