Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA.com 24 Hour Cancellation Policy is 24 Hour Hold, DOT OK / 26 Jan 2012
AA has cancelled this policy effective 1 April 2016

See HOLD ticket WILL change 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr hold or / & cancel for current thread.

PREVIOUS POLICY:

AA offers 24 hour "Hold" without payment for new bookings in lieu of 24 hour cancellation; this does meet the USDOT requirements. The hold option is offered when one arrives on the booking payment page next to credit card, etc. options.

● Bookings made within seven days of flight are not required to offer 24 hour cancellation or holds; AA.com does not offer cancellation options in those cases, nor does it do so on partner airline flights. (Still in force.)

When you make a reservation by telephone or via aa.com for American Airlines flights (including American Airlines flights operated by codeshare partners), the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. (time zone will be specified) the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. Once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary, the ticket price may change.

See:

http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/notic...ur-reservation

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/fil...al20130530.pdf

(Award flights on AA can still be held for five days.)

Also see: Extended Hold: Pay to hold reservation longer than 24 hours (consolidated)[/FONT][/COLOR]

AA's Customer Commitment states: "When you make a telephone reservation with American Airlines or when you make a reservation via AA.com, the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. Central Time the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary within this timeframe, the ticket price may change and once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket."

Note this foot note on AA.com. * Actual "Hold" period depends on fare rules. Some fares require purchase by a specific time.

In some cases, the 24 hour hold may actually expire in less than 24 hours if ticketing conditions (e.g. advance purchase requirements) supersede the 24 hour period. Nonetheless, as brp states below: "Web Services (800-222-2377) within the 24 hours and they will reinstate the original fare."

24 hour hold is not available for codeshares and partner airlines marketed flights when combined with AA travel, nor to those using discount codes. Nonetheless, under DOT regulations, the airline must allow 24 hour cancellation without fees.

[FONT="Arial"]
Refunds Within 24 Hours of Booking Within 7 Days of Flight No Longer Offered

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.
A 24 hour cancellation policy is called for by USDOT regulations. American Airlines currently meets the requirement by offering 24 hour hold.

If one is booking for travel within seven days, there is no "hold" option given during the booking process. Though one may have previously gotten refunded within 24 hours of booking fewer than seven days out by AA, it is not required by USDOT and AA is now denying refunds in these instances as of 12 June 2015. The change was not announced to AA flyers or AAdvantage members.

Per JonNYC below:
Originally Posted by Previous policy
AA offers a full refund without penalty within 24 hours of ticketing that occurs 7 or less days before departure.
This no longer is AA policy; refunds are not allowed within 24 hours of purchase within the 7 day time frame.

Updated 10 Feb 2016
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Arrow ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

The new DOT rules take effect today. One of the policies is that the airline must allow either a 24 hour hold or cancellation for refund provided the reservation was made at least one week in advance.

For itineraries that involve non-AA coded flights booked from AA.com, I would assume that starting today, the 24 hour cancellation policy should apply.

However, I called the EXP desk and they have no clue about it.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Last edited by Xero; Jan 26, 2012 at 10:00 am
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
I wonder if the airline just has to provde either/or. If that's the case, AA is partially compliant since a traveler is able to 'HOLD' an itinerary that includes non-AA carriers when on AA codeshare - at least for an AA coded oneworld flight I recently held. As well, I'm curious if the new regulation only applies to the airline's own flights. Does anyone know? And, does the regulation extend to -any- airline that operates in the U.S., or just U.S.-based airlines?

Last edited by miamigrad; Jan 26, 2012 at 10:18 am
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by miamigrad
I wonder if the airline just has to provde either/or. If that's the case, AA is already in compliance since a traveler is able to 'HOLD' an itinerary that includes non-AA carriers.
I've never been able to hold an itinerary with non-AA carriers, even with AA flight nos.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:52 am

I wonder if the airline just has to provde either/or. If that's the case, AA is already in compliance since a traveler is able to 'HOLD' an itinerary that includes non-AA carriers.
Not fully compliant yet, without multi-airline itineraries.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
You can hold any codeshare flights. But not if the flight is marketed by another airline.

Also, AA's front page now says "Due to technical problems, the initial prices shown on AA.com do not include taxes and fees. Taxes and fees will be added prior to payment." Looks like AA did not do a good job preparing for this day.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
I've never been able to hold an itinerary with non-AA carriers, even with AA flight nos.
I just tested this a few minutes ago on a CX operated flight ORD-HKG.
For AA coded flights, I was allowed to hold.
For CX coded flights, immediate purchase was required.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Xero
Any ideas? Thank you.
Try booking an itinerary with non-AA segments? The hold button is there - and a conf code given - for a dummy booking with AA, CX and JAL flights.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Not fully compliant yet, without multi-airline itineraries.
Originally Posted by Xero
You can hold any codeshare flights. But not if the flight is marketed by another airline.

Also, AA's front page now says "Due to technical problems, the initial prices shown on AA.com do not include taxes and fees. Taxes and fees will be added prior to payment." Looks like AA did not do a good job preparing for this day.
I amended my original post. Only when on AA codeshare.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:58 am

I wonder how many people who don't know about the DOT rules will freak out when they see prices are higher now that taxes have to be reported.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I wonder how many people who don't know about the DOT rules will freak out when they see prices are higher now that taxes have to be reported.
I'm still seeing $41 outbound fares to LHR, but that's due to the other issue, which they STILL haven't fixed. Ugh AA.com needs a lot of work. Anyone know a team of skilled IT engineers to send to DFW to help AA out?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I amended my original post. Only when on AA codeshare.
Perhaps only with OW carriers? I've never been able to hold an itinerary that has a G3 (GOL)-operated component with an AA flight no.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:08 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I got an email from WN this morning explaining, in great detail, how the fares I see up front would now be different, but the actual total fare paid would be the same. Also, points would still be awarded on Fare + Excise Tax, as before, and not on the full fare I see.

They did a very good job of making it clear that nothing other than the originally-displayed fare would change.

AA? Just the sound of one hand clapping...

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I'm still seeing $41 outbound fares to LHR, but that's due to the other issue, which they STILL haven't fixed. Ugh AA.com needs a lot of work. Anyone know a team of skilled IT engineers to send to DFW to help AA out?
no, those punch-card programmers refuse to retire or leave their position. and they think they are way more experienced than your skilled young engineers.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by brp
I got an email from WN this morning explaining, in great detail, how the fares I see up front would now be different, but the actual total fare paid would be the same. Also, points would still be awarded on Fare + Excise Tax, as before, and not on the full fare I see.

They did a very good job of making it clear that nothing other than the originally-displayed fare would change.

AA? Just the sound of one hand clapping...

Cheers.
But you actually read your emails.

I'm thinking of people who don't usually fly.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Ha! AA.com has a not right now stating: "Due to technical problems, the initial prices shown on AA.com do not include taxes and fees. Taxes and fees will be added prior to payment."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.