Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why offer BOB fresh meals?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by rjw242
This is why a catering error makes more sense. I doubt AA was thinking, "let's cater a handful of meals to give away free to the first few EXPs, and forego several hundred dollars of revenue further back."
No, but I'm guessing their catering planning process hasn't caught up with the free-meal-to-EXPs benefit. Left hand/right hand thing, not unusual for large corporations.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:06 am

Sure, coulda been a catering error. I was just saying that a high elite load probably didn't help things. No excuse indeed.

I'd also guess that AA does err on the side of under-catering because whatever margin they forgo on some lost sales probably is less than what they lose if they waste an item.

Originally Posted by akcae
No, but I'm guessing their catering planning process hasn't caught up with the free-meal-to-EXPs benefit. Left hand/right hand thing, not unusual for large corporations.
Another sound point. Anecdotally, it even seems that there are some FAs still unaware of the benefit.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
why offer BOB fresh meals?

People were hungry and pissed. We were over 1.5 hours late first because we were waiting for our pilot to arrive from CLT and then because EWR wouldn't let us leave.

On top of that the lavs were inop on the ground and the pilot announced they would only work > 16K feet exasperated the problem when row 4 wanted something to eat the frustrated FA said sorry only chips and trail mix.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: AA
Crap, sorry folks, I had only remembered doing this on pmUS flights and looks like it doesn't exist anymore. It'd be nice of AA would consider re-implementing this.

http://lechicgeek.boardingarea.com/u...t-to-everyone/
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: RIP US Airways Chairman; Hyatt Diamond; American Platinum
Originally Posted by bridge29
Crap, sorry folks, I had only remembered doing this on pmUS flights and looks like it doesn't exist anymore. It'd be nice of AA would consider re-implementing this.

http://lechicgeek.boardingarea.com/u...t-to-everyone/
Yup, it was a US only program that never moved over during the merger.

It's a shame because it was really effective. I never had a mistake with one of my orders and it looked like a lot of people were starting to take advantage of it.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
Originally Posted by Jeanne23
Yup, it was a US only program that never moved over during the merger.

It's a shame because it was really effective. I never had a mistake with one of my orders and it looked like a lot of people were starting to take advantage of it.
My brother used to fly US and he told me everyone on his row on a flight two years ago had ordered a BOB meal in advance. Pretty impressive.

Given that AA is moving back to complimentary snacks I don't expect them to have much of a BOB offering, nor to invest in the very simple process of online ordering.

This is why I pack my own lunch whenever it's feasible.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
This is why a catering error makes more sense. I doubt AA was thinking, "let's cater a handful of meals to give away free to the first few EXPs, and forego several hundred dollars of revenue further back."
Agreed, this leaving revenue on the table is the most perplexing of all things with BoB stocking on all flights, not just AA. I've had VX, AS, UA, AA, DL all run out of BoB early on. With all the nickel and diming the airlines to, I've never understood how they miss this opportunity so often.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by on-a-stick
My brother used to fly US and he told me everyone on his row on a flight two years ago had ordered a BOB meal in advance. Pretty impressive.

Given that AA is moving back to complimentary snacks I don't expect them to have much of a BOB offering, nor to invest in the very simple process of online ordering.

This is why I pack my own lunch whenever it's feasible.
DL never discontinued free snacks of peanuts, pretzels, or cookies, yet has an extensive BOB menu on long(ish) flights. If one is hungry and has a 3hr flight, a pack of peanuts won't go very far. Not having BOB food is, as stated above, leaving money on the table (or in the air, as it were).
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I was #2 on the UPG list, and only #1 cleared the other night, so I found myself in Row 7 (Y bulkhead) of an older LAA 738. This was a dinner flight in First. Complimentary BOB items weren't offered to me at first, but when I asked for an alcoholic drink, I wasn't charged. A snack/meal also was not offered, so after receiving my drink, I asked what was available. All options listed on the marketplace menu were available, and I selected the Turkey Cuban. The FA provided it free of charge and never asked for my EXP card. His tablet obviously showed my status, so it would be nice for the service to be offered proactively.

After the flight attendant handed me my meal, the purser poked her head through the curtain and asked the FA serving me whether he had any more Turkey Cubans, because one of the pilots wanted one. The other FA turned and said, "I already gave him one, and I only have a few left. I'll see what I have after the service."

It seems to be another case of under-catering, and this time it was the cockpit attempting to deplete the supply, not once, but twice!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

AS does offer the meal selection within a week via its app ^

Tom Douglas does a good job overall.

As for overcatering, I think AS is a bit heavy on it these days as I'm seeing more and more meals available later in the flight.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
It would, though given their performance with F pre-orders, I'd give AA about a 25% of implementing it correctly.
True. I find that AA's Supply Chain department is quite incompetent... they don't take any proactive actions and blame everything on their vendors.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
True. I find that AA's Supply Chain department is quite incompetent... they don't take any proactive actions and blame everything on their vendors.
I'm not sure if BoB catering is high on the priority list for their commodity managers. Other than the overall catering contract management, catering decisions (including quantity/quality of meals) come from Inflight.

That said, I was on an extremely light PDX-DFW flight, seated in row 12 or so, and they ran out of fresh BoB before they got to me. It is certainly annoying to not have the option due to undercatering on longer flights (most of mine are 2-ish hours, and about half are in F).

To make it worse, I was the pax seated a couple rows ahead of me throw away most of a salad when the FAs came by to get trash.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Does catering load additional BOB on the DFW/PDX-HNL routes?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sant
Does catering load additional BOB on the DFW/PDX-HNL routes?
They probably should (although DFW-HNL will soon have a LOT more catering loaded), but as far as I know inner US-HNL routes are notoriously undercatered by all airlines.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Only time I have had proactive FAs offering the complimentary meal/drinks to me as an EXP is on AE either between BTR and DFW or between ORD and YKF which are the two routes I often fly. Never had AA mainline offer it to me, but then I've only flown on AA mainline in Y a handful of occasions in the last few years. Whenever I have asked, the FAs have alway been very accommodating and haven't once asked for my EXP card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.