Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Retain original status benefits for flights booked prior to 1 March? (consolidated)

Retain original status benefits for flights booked prior to 1 March? (consolidated)

Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
reservations for last day of status?

my Xplt status for American airlines ends at the end of this month....on the very last day of that status, i will be flying on AA--I am dropping to zero status as of march 1--
will the decent seats I select for my return flight (a week later) be taken away or do i get to keep them? not sure how that works. thanks!!

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 24, 2016 at 1:07 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

anyone??
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I remember reading about a similar situation before. I believe you will retain the seats you booked.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Seats for the return flight should stick, but actual status at the time of flight will be updated. No priority access, free bags, etc. assuming you're dropping to general member.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
I've read on this board that the seats will likely stick unless there is a change of some kind, like a schedule or aircraft change.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AAMillionaire
I've read on this board that the seats will likely stick unless there is a change of some kind, like a schedule or aircraft change.
And with 738s constantly flopping between setups not to mention 763s and 772s, its pretty common these days.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:13 pm
E55

The EXP benefit is choosing the seats without charge. They won't take the seat away from you or charge you for it after you've made the selection as an EXP.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

great! thanks!!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by E55
The EXP benefit is choosing the seats without charge. They won't take the seat away from you or charge you for it after you've made the selection as an EXP.
True, but if the plane swaps from one with many MCE seats to one with fewer (i.e. LAA config A319 to LUS 319), you could get bounced. Last week I got swapped to a LAA 319 and back to a LUS 319, and the GA called all the elites to the podium to reconfirm their MCE seats, but not any other pax.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

its been a very long time for me....Im flying tomorrow and am on upgrade list--how does one view how many if any seats are left on first class? I used to be able to view it on US Air but my first time on AA website...thank you!!Im actually flying a week early so a few more days of status
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: Free agent
A datapoint on a OW carrier: Last year my expired PLT status stuck for a flight mid-March on AY. OW Sapphire printed on BP, and I got lounge access & priority security in addition to the seat choice. I wasn't expecting it, and it was a nice surprise!

Last edited by klymen; Feb 21, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by klymen
A datapoint on a OW carrier: Last year my expired PLT status stuck for a flight mid-March on AY. OW Sapphire printed on BP, and I got lounge access & priority security in addition to the seat choice. I wasn't expecting it, and it was a nice surprise!
This does happen: assuming there is no change to your reservation of any kind (that would cause your information to be "refreshed"), there is a chance your old status will stick (meaning, you could theoretically receive benefits like Priority Access).

(Conversely, when going up in status, one sometimes has to call to get the new status applied).
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premiere, United Premiere, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Status Expire Feb 29, Trip in March

I am currently a Platinum.

If I book a trip today for a March trip, I know I'll be able to keep my MCE seats, etc. as long as there are no changes to the ticket (and I select them prior to the end of February).

Will I receive the 100% Platinum bonus? Will I be eligible for lounge access traveling internationally?

I've seen mixed reports on this. Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:58 pm

You'll keep your MCE seats as long as nothing happens to the ticket, but you won't get any bonus nor have lounge access, since as of March 1st you won't be PLT anymore.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mstrg325
I am currently a Platinum.

If I book a trip today for a March trip, I know I'll be able to keep my MCE seats, etc. as long as there are no changes to the ticket (and I select them prior to the end of February).

Will I receive the 100% Platinum bonus? Will I be eligible for lounge access traveling internationally?

I've seen mixed reports on this. Thanks.
" I know I'll be able to keep my MCE seats, etc. as long as there are no changes to the ticket (and I select them prior to the end of February)." Yes.

"Will I receive the 100% Platinum bonus?" Certainly not.

"Will I be eligible for lounge access traveling internationally? " Certainly not.

If you were awarded 100% Platinum bonus in error, you shouldn't be surprised if those miles are clawed back from your account.

It is possible the aa.com PNR status update bug will err in your favor and you might have your previous status on your boarding pass, which might allow lounge admittance in error, but you'd certainly not be eligible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.