Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by ledakar
Hello,

I'd like to book Residence from SYD to AUH. It will be 100k miles in AA? How to look for availability? Via Etihad website?

Can you recommend how to book it?

Best regards,

M.
The residence is not bookable with AA miles
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:35 pm

It never was? Or they have changed sth? I so one blogger who have write that he have booked Residence using AA Miles...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It never was? Or they have changed sth? I so one blogger who have write that he have booked Residence using AA Miles...
It has never been bookable with AA miles

With AA miles, it is possible to book 1st class, which if travelling on an A380, would be in an Apartment
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:46 am

All the bloggers I've seen have paid for their tickets in the residence. I think the residence may be bookable with Etihad miles only.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Doesn't solve your "book with AA miles" problem, but here is one way to book the Residence using a non-cash currency:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...had-residence/

(I would imagine there's a way to use Ben's tips to fly in the reverse direction for about the same price as his AUH-SYD booking.)

If you pay the $7K fare with 700K AMEX MR points and have the AMEX business platinum card, they should refund you 350K MR points. So - net 350K AMEX points (and no cash) to fly the Residence between SYD and AUH. Not bad. Beats the heck out of 2.2 million Etihad miles...

Personally, I think 100K AA miles in the 1st Apartments is a much better redemption. The hard product, really, is almost the same - you get a chair, a bed and access to a shower in both cases. And the onboard service will be identical for all practical purposes. Other than bragging rights for having flown in the Residence, I don't see any incremental value that comes close to justifying the difference in price.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
... Just got off the phone with US... they couldn't see J availability or Y availability (while EF/KVS/Etihad.com show 9+)!!! WTH?? On to Australia.....
Originally Posted by KVS
What are the flight details?
I was simply making a point that US call center sucks. The flight was IAD-AUH on April 30th. I called Australia and they booked it just fine.

J4H
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
... What has more likelihood of opening up J availability close-in: IAD-AUH or JFK-AUH?

J4H
Originally Posted by omaralt
With JFK you have two daily flights so I gusss you have twice the chance?
Turns out IAD-AUH popped up.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Can't Search Ethiad Website

Anyone else get a message while using Ethiad website that Ethiad Guest searches are no longer available is N. America?

So other than expert flyer how do we search for award space? Thx
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by JHIN
Anyone else get a message while using Ethiad website that Ethiad Guest searches are no longer available is N. America?
The search worked fine for me 2 minutes ago.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The search worked fine for me 2 minutes ago.
. This is the message I get.

Unfortunately, due to US DOT requirements we are unable to present this page to the United States of America. Apologies for any inconvenience, if you require further help please contact us [email protected].
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
Being a KVS Tool Member, you can continue to search for EY Award Availability via the [Awards/EY] & [Awards/AZ-SkyTeam] Methods, as usual.
Oh ok - but will that mean same availability for AA miles?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold

Unfortunately, due to US DOT requirements we are unable to present this page to the United States of America. Apologies for any inconvenience, if you require further help please contact us [email protected].
Just tried a bunch of searches both to and from the USA and had no issue at all getting award availability to display. Maybe it's just you specifically that USDOT doesn't like .
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:56 am

I confirm that parts of the Etihad website have been inaccessible from (some?) US-designated IP addresses for many months. I have been getting around this issue by using Opera web browser, that has a built-in VPN. Just click on the VPN icon to the left of the URL window, and set your "virtual location" to any country other than USA.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: QFF Silver, BA Blue, GF Silver, 3V Emerald
Just booked MEL-AUH-LHR with both legs on the A380, my first Etihad F redemption AU$90 in additional fees

Originally Posted by weltic
How many miles were you charged for this?
Did it qualify for the 115,000 South Pacific - Europe award or did you have to pay 162,500 because of 3rd region transit? (South Pacific - Middle East 100,000 + Middle East - Europe 62,500)
Does anyone know the answer to this? Is it 115k or 162.5k?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stevejnr
Just booked MEL-AUH-LHR with both legs on the A380, my first Etihad F redemption AU$90 in additional fees

Does anyone know the answer to this? Is it 115k or 162.5k?
It is 162.5k ; to use EY for Australia to London, it requires 2 awards. South Pacific to Middle East plus Middle East to Europe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.