Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
AA119 DFW-OGG. Champagne, mimosas or OJ. Happy to start this vacation with champagne, so didn't inquire further.
Nice start to your flight. I love the atmosphere inside the plane on the flight over to Hawaii....everyone in a good mood.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jcatman
Nice start to your flight. I love the atmosphere inside the plane on the flight over to Hawaii....everyone in a good mood.
Agreed!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
AA119 DFW-OGG. Champagne, mimosas or OJ. Happy to start this vacation with champagne, so didn't inquire further.
Just stepping off a DL CRJ200 to RIC for a two week trip, I'm very envious Hopefully the PDB service was followed up with acceptable service en route to the islands. Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:27 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by mdkowals
AA220 (DFW - AMS) water and OJ only. Plausible excuse due to maintenance delay causing the boarding to be rushed.
Any excuse will do. Utter laziness - on an international flight as well.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
On international flights like DFW - AMS, the offering for PDBs should be sparkling wine, orange juice and sparkling/still water.

This is because often times the other beverages are in carts that cannot be opened due to bonded liquor.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
7/25 AA 1559 RDU-ORD 1451-1607 MD-80: No PDB
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
On international flights like DFW - AMS, the offering for PDBs should be sparkling wine, orange juice and sparkling/still water.

This is because often times the other beverages are in carts that cannot be opened due to bonded liquor.
Exactly the same as on BA - the pre-departure Champagne was duty paid and was thus not bonded. On an international service, they should have offered the "bubbles" (as they charmingly refer to whatever they are serving on the ground) - unless they could not chill it - I cannot see why it should not be served.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
AA 5463, OKC-CLT, 7/30/17. Full PDB. ^
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Bonded liquor is an issue here. I may have mentioned that before in this thread I'm sure it is different in the UK
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
Really? I've been offered PDBs a number of times after the door is closed. The glasses have been collected before takeoff.
Just because it happened, doesn't make it legal. Somebody is in for a whoopin'
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by skylady
Just because it happened, doesn't make it legal. Somebody is in for a whoopin'
What we need is a true "lead FA", paid more and empowered with the ability to reward when the right tasks are completed, and to discipline when tasks are ignored. Truly.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by skylady
Bonded liquor is an issue here. I may have mentioned that before in this thread I'm sure it is different in the UK
It's the same. Nothing can be taken out of bonded stores until we are airbourne, thus only those drinks that are served pre-flight on Long Haul may be served. On European flights there are no PDBs for that reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.