Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Lazy FA.

The incidence you're referring to was with America West and the State of New Mexico. Essentially, HP lost their liquor license in NM. When they purchased US, the restriction remained in place. When they purchased AA, the restriction seems to have been lifted. My PHX<->ABQ flying dropped off in the US Airways days ... the few "AA" flight's I've been flown on that route have not been restricted.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL serves (alcoholic if one wishes) PDBs at PHX.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 22, 2017 at 8:44 pm Reason: Specified that alcohol is available.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tacostuff
I recently flew PHX-LAS in F and the FA refused to give me a beer as a PDB. Do I recall seeing something a while back that there was a lawsuit against the airlines for overserving a passenger who ended up killing someone and as a result, they no longer serve alcohol on the ground in PHX? Or is it more likely that the FA was just lazy?

And, before anyone makes an incorrect assumption, it was not because I was visibly intoxicated since I had nothing to drink beforehand (and she served me a beer later once we were in the air).
My last flight out of PHX the excellent FA (Nancy W.) provided any kind of existing PDB - beer, alcohol, non-alcohol, etc. as was available in the cabin stock. (She also offered to mix a number of drinks within the possibilities of available stock on board once we were in the air, and prior to landing served a special mixed drink to all who rook it from a tray with a smoking decorated glass with dry ice.)

So, no, there's no prohibition preventing a FA serving alcoholic drinks as PDB. There may still be a few airports where this is prohibited by state or local "blue laws", but PHX is not one of them.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 22, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:43 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by enviroian
Perhaps the flight attendant just forgot or just was being lazy.
If it was refused, 'forgetting' is not the issue
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I have to say I've been pleased the past 3 weeks all my flights (10) had full PDBs and all but one was LAA. Have I been lucky/just jinxed myself or are things getting better on the PBD front?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ZiggyNZ
08/08 AA 2250 DFW-LAX Water only.

Pax next to me was an AA VP. On the flight he consumed no less than 6 double screwdrivers. Good start to the working day.
thats impressive since In AAs glassware with the ice a double screwdriver is pretty much a double vodka
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
8/17 CUN - PHX AA 515 LUS - Limited PDB due to customs on alcoholic beverages in Mexico. FA was phenomenal though, asking "Can I get you a non-alcoholic beverage right now, but I promise I will get you whatever you want immediately after take off". And boy did she ever! Senior FA based out of SAN, usually does the Hawaii flights. I wrote to AA on twitter; when AA gets it right, they really are still a great airline.

8/17 PHX - LAS AA 626 LUS - FULL PDB and generous refills throughout the short flight to LAS. Another great crew.

Pro-tip: avoid the AC in PHX at A20 - a total dump; but friendly AAngels.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
MSP-LGA
E175
Republic
Full PDB despite being late by 30 mins +

Added: we made up time and still landed somewhat on time......plenty of water requested as PDB, so it just proves that even in a delay situation you can still do a full PDB per customer choice (since not all 12-16 people are requesting "labor intensive cocktails" which is really just one more pour of the hand from a glass of ice water).

Last edited by AANYC1981; Aug 23, 2017 at 8:27 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
08-23 TYS-CLT 5023 Full PDB
08-23 CLT-TPA 1610 Full PDB
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Thanks all! I was probably thinking of the NM issue and confusing it with PHX. I'm based in the northeast--all those square states out west start to blend together after a while.

I guess I'll just chalk it up to the FA being lazy--the flight was not running late and had boarded fully well before departure time.

Perhaps the flight attendant just forgot or just was being lazy.
She definitely didn't "forget." I asked for a beer when she had a tray of water and the gruffly said "no" and stormed away. She would even let me ask a follow-up question she ran away so quickly!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
AA 1107 22 AUG PHXLAS: tray with water and OJ with an offer of coffee.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
8/23 AA 1854 DCA-CLT A-319: Full PDB ^^

I was pulled up from Y to F literally as the door was being shut so I didn't get a drink but the F/A profusely apologized to me because of it so I was happy.

Last edited by CMK10; Aug 28, 2017 at 10:06 am
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: QF WP, QP Life, LT Gold, AA, DL
8/23 AA 2594 SFO-ORD 738 Full PDB (MIA based crew) ^
8/23 AA 25 ORD-LAS 738 No PDB (Orders for post-takeoff beverages taken during push back)
8/24 AA 2562 LAS-ORD 738 Water/OJ only PDB
8/24 AA 998 ORD-SAN 738 No PDB

All flights were full in F and looked fairly full in Y

Last edited by medicus; Aug 25, 2017 at 6:28 pm Reason: Edited for typos...
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by medicus
8/23 AA 2594 SFO-ORD 738 Full PDB (MIA based crew) ^
8/23 AA 25 ORD-LAS 738 No PDB (Orders for post-takeoff beverages taken during push back)
8/24 AA 2562 LAS-ORD 738 Water/OJ only PDB
8/24 AA 998 ORD-SAN 738 No PDB

All flights were full in F and looked fairly full in Y
Great brand consistency
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
LAA SNADFW No PDB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.