Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn
Hi all!

I booked LAX-AKL on Quantas. The outbound leg is flight QF3226, operated by AA. Is there any way that this will credit fully to Aadvantage, considering that AA is the operating metal?
By which you mean...

The flight will credit to AAdvantage as if you were flying Qantas. It doesn't matter which airline operates the flight in this instance, only which airline markets your flight. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2016-a.html.

By the way, only "u" put a "u" in Qantas.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Originally Posted by rjw242
You can credit the miles to an AAdvantage account, but miles will be earned as though it were a Qantas flight (I.e. depending on fare code).
So I checked my AA account, and the outbound leg of the flight is showing up under my trips, with an AA flight number. Just the outbound leg. Will that make a difference? Yes, I'm reaching for as many miles as I can get.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn
So I checked my AA account, and the outbound leg of the flight is showing up under my trips, with an AA flight number. Just the outbound leg. Will that make a difference? Yes, I'm reaching for as many miles as I can get.
If you fly it as AA, you will earn as if flying AA; flown as QF, earn as if flying QF.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: Aadvantage, EBS
Similar question. I have BA-numbered flights operated by AY and AA. I want to credit to AA; under which carrier do they post?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:53 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by budenholzer
Similar question. I have BA-numbered flights operated by AY and AA. I want to credit to AA; under which carrier do they post?
BA flight numbers will post based to the BA chart: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...es/british.jsp

Earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on British Airways marketed and operated flights as well as British Airways codeshare flights operated by oneworld carriers and affiliates.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: whatever gets me where i want
I'm not sure if this has been answered before. Any idea on when Aer Lingus flights will become redeemable using Aadvantage miles?

This is given the news that Aer Lingus is joining One World
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have a question about UK Air Passenger Duty tax.

I'm flying a paid IST->LHR->JFK leg in Economy, first leg on BA and second leg on AA. Transit time is 3 hours. Assuming I use a SWU to upgrade LHR -> JFK, I should not need to pay the extra taxes because I'm only connecting in LHR for less than 24 hours, correct?

Similarly, if I fly JFK -> LHR -> CAI in economy, once again with a layover less than 24 hours but I upgrade the JFK -> LHR leg with a SWU, I should still not need to pay the extra money in taxes, correct?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Correct on both counts

the UK APD is not payable on transits of 24hrs or less
no matter what class you're travelling in
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
I'm still figuring out how to do a search here and not get results that would take far too many hours to search through. If someone could direct me to a guide on how to efficiently use FT search, I'd appreciate it.

My AA question: If I book a domestic (USA) AA-operated flight as an award with Avios through BA, does my Citi AA Platinum card still give me the free checked bag perk? I have no elite status with any airline.

Would the answer be specific to BA/AA, or is there a nearly-universal practice among airline alliances for this?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: CP Dividend Miles ,Lifetime Platinum Marriott Rewards, Diamond Hilton
Originally Posted by JY1024
Depends on if you have status. If you're an elite member, then yes - the 500-mile minimum is still in place:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...leageguarantee
Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:48 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
I'm still figuring out how to do a search here and not get results that would take far too many hours to search through. If someone could direct me to a guide on how to efficiently use FT search, I'd appreciate it.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21853484-post1.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ve-thread.html
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14

My AA question: If I book a domestic (USA) AA-operated flight as an award with Avios through BA, does my Citi AA Platinum card still give me the free checked bag perk? I have no elite status with any airline.

Would the answer be specific to BA/AA, or is there a nearly-universal practice among airline alliances for this?
Clear out the BA number when booking, then you can add your AA number later. See http://www.travelcodex.com/2015/10/a...ys-avios-pnrs/

Once your AA number is on there, then the credit card bag benefit should apply.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Thanks, JY and swag.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:30 am

Question for everyone.

On March 30th I bought a day pass at the Narita Admirals club lounge for $50 US. But I noticed yesterday that I was charge a total of $54US. I called the AA Admirals club line to ask why I was charge more than the $50 US. She said maybe it was a tax?

Does this sound correct? My ticket receipt showed me $50 but I threw that away. "Stupid me"
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Silver
Mileage Runs?

I'm fairly new to flying on a regular basis. I was given gold in a promotion last year, and this year I'll need to renew it. I'm currently at ~4700 EQM, 6 EQS with DFW-ORD and DFW-PNS round trips scheduled and I'll likely have 2-3 more ORD/LAX trips this year, but might not be enough to renew gold. I'm based out of DFW.

Are mileage runs still practical with the changes to AA program? Any general advice on the most efficient way for me to get to renew gold? Shorter/Cheaper domestic flights or wait for a deal on an asia flight, etc?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.