Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The early 2019 787-8 retrofit standardizes 788 seating at C20, W28, Y186 (of which 42 are MCE)

AA begins selling Premium Economy tickets as if 1 May (if not before) on the 787-8.

787-8 Current Status as of 24 April April 2019: NO J28 788s left in service, refit completed.:

Refitting took two weeks per airframe, and two were in the shop at Paine Field at any one time. N800AN was the test article / prototype (PAE Sep 2018), N816AA was the last (returned to service 24 Apr 2019).

here[/u] for fairly current listings.

All Boeing 787-8 have Premium Economy as of 24 April 2019.
All Boeing 787-9 have Premium Economy out of the box.

The Rockwell Collins MiQ seat has been selected. This is also the domestic (newly renamed) Business seat in narrowbodies, with added drop down footpegs (foot and leg rest in bulkhead rows), seatback IFE, non-moveable head rests.

Link to AA Premium Economy page.
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:32 am

Flying ORD-> BCN tomorrow. Currently in 9L (9J is open) along with 7A and 7C. Is row 9 at all limited in recline?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goNorthwestern
Flying ORD-> BCN tomorrow. Currently in 9L (9J is open) along with 7A and 7C. Is row 9 at all limited in recline?
No, same recline as the other PE seats.
goNorthwestern and Andy1117 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by geo1005
Read Mordac's reply three posts above yours. It's a good seat. I'm 6' and skinny and have flown ORD-LHR in a non-bulkhead seat and there was plenty of room for my legs out straight (under seat in front of me). Even more legroom in the bulkhead seats. You'll be fine.
I had read that, but it did not clarify my question about being able to angle my legs into the aisle.
But thanks for the additional info regarding legroom.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by FT01
I had read that, but it did not clarify my question about being able to angle my legs into the aisle.
But thanks for the additional info regarding legroom.
you dont need to angle into the aisle. You will have enough room to stretch It forward
Mordac likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by geo1005
Read Mordac's reply three posts above yours. It's a good seat. I'm 6' and skinny and have flown ORD-LHR in a non-bulkhead seat and there was plenty of room for my legs out straight (under seat in front of me). Even more legroom in the bulkhead seats. You'll be fine.
Funnily enough I was in that exact flight, albeit on 6A.

Second what has been said. You can stretch the legs into the aisle if you want to but it won't be needed. So please don't do it. It's extremely anti-social.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:50 pm

We recently flew ORD-FCO and back in 6A and 6C.

We loved it. There was plenty of space. I was able to squeeze by my sleeping husband to use the restroom without disturbing him. If the price is right, for future trips, I will always seek out the bulkhead in this cabin.

We also had a great crew on both flights. They literally introduced themselves and shook each of our hands and asked for our names. We were able to use the restrooms in front and behind us. However on the flight to Rome we were invited to the front Galley for snacks but on the flight back to Chicago we were specifically told we were not allowed. And the back Galley only had pretzels and orange juice ����. I’m not sure what the actual policy is, maybe it depends on the crew.

I’d love to write a detailed review of these seats and the experience when I have the time!
gateH15 likes this.

Last edited by SunkissedMommy; Jun 23, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:45 pm

I sat in 6A on the way to Rome and 6C on my way back.

Pointing my toes attempting to reach the bulkhead wall.

Sorry for the obnoxious size, it's not letting me resize these.
gateH15 likes this.

Last edited by SunkissedMommy; Jun 23, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by degeland
I’m flying AA 787-8 Premium Economy DUB>ORD. Currently in bulkhead 6A and 6C. Is the additional legroom worth the proximity to lavs and narrower seat?
I wanted to note that I absolutely heard the lav flushing during our flight, however it was so faint that it would have never disturbed my sleep or concentration. I would compare it to footsteps/ walking by me on the plane floor as far as noise level. I actually read a book without any headphones for the entire 10 hour flight home and not once did I feel like there was a noise problem.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
I sat in 6A on the way to Rome and 6C on my way back.

Pointing my toes attempting to reach the bulkhead wall.

Sorry for the obnoxious size, it's not letting me resize these.
That's extremely helpful, thankyou very much.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:50 am

Flew ORD-BCN in 9J. Seat 9J had two windows that appeared to both be controlled by the same button. Legroom and service were good. IFE screen was good quality but there were about 45 seconds of unskipable ads before anything. We were all offered newspapers prior to take off. Additionally it should be noted that the seats in the middle section are not aligned with those on the right.

Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:05 am

Flew ORD-BCN in 9J. Seat 9J had two windows that appeared to both be controlled by the same button. Legroom and service were good. IFE screen was good quality but there were about 45 seconds of unskipable ads before anything. We were all offered newspapers prior to take off. Additionally it should be noted that the seats in the middle section are not aligned with those on the right.

Would you say then that this equates to less legroom in the middle section?
Enough that it would prevent full stretch out of legs?
Or is the bulkhead also further forward?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:33 am

I didnt check but I think the bulkhead is farther forward. I am flying on this 787-8 again on 7/4 (in 6A) this time so I will report back.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:35 am

I didnt check but I think the bulkhead is farther forward. I am flying on this 787-8 again on 7/4 (in 6A) this time so I will report back.
I am also flying on July 4th, so your trip report may be slightly too late!
But thanks for the offer.
I'll post my take on it after the journey, and any photos I can get without violating anyone else's privacy.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:44 am

Also the seats have this hook that can hold an amenity bag

Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:48 am

The center bulkhead is farther forward than sides. I just flew in bulkhead, but not center, and the row next to us was forward from us but they had the same foot space as us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.