Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The early 2019 787-8 retrofit standardizes 788 seating at C20, W28, Y186 (of which 42 are MCE)

AA begins selling Premium Economy tickets as if 1 May (if not before) on the 787-8.

787-8 Current Status as of 24 April April 2019: NO J28 788s left in service, refit completed.:

Refitting took two weeks per airframe, and two were in the shop at Paine Field at any one time. N800AN was the test article / prototype (PAE Sep 2018), N816AA was the last (returned to service 24 Apr 2019).

here[/u] for fairly current listings.

All Boeing 787-8 have Premium Economy as of 24 April 2019.
All Boeing 787-9 have Premium Economy out of the box.

The Rockwell Collins MiQ seat has been selected. This is also the domestic (newly renamed) Business seat in narrowbodies, with added drop down footpegs (foot and leg rest in bulkhead rows), seatback IFE, non-moveable head rests.

Link to AA Premium Economy page.
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Talking

Originally Posted by MADPhil
If PE is full and there are open seats in J then they will probably bump someone up to make space but it may well not be you. There would not be a fee if someone is bumped up for AA's convenience but there may well be people who have requested upgrades and will pay for them. You will probably get a PE seat but it will be a matter of luck which one.
thanks for the insight Phil! Much appreciated.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
If PE is full and there are open seats in J then they will probably bump someone up to make space but it may well not be you. There would not be a fee if someone is bumped up for AA's convenience but there may well be people who have requested upgrades and will pay for them. You will probably get a PE seat but it will be a matter of luck which one.
I were supposed to fly on 788 last Sunday ATH-ORD.
Biz and PE sold out and economy oversold by 5 people. They switched it to 789 and all PE people got moved to J. No one got bumped to economy
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gateH15

I were supposed to fly on 788 last Sunday ATH-ORD.
Biz and PE sold out and economy oversold by 5 people. They switched it to 789 and all PE people got moved to J. No one got bumped to economy
That was certainly a win for the PE people
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Mordac
Meant PE actually. Currently on 9J in a 788 but have 6A (bulkhead) open. If the legroom is the same as on a 77W then I'll switch, that was just there for comparison, because I've seen the 77W myself, but not the 788.
So just in case anyone has the same question in the future, I ended up moving myself to 6A, and am very glad I did. There was a lot of room between the seat and the bulkhead (enough to get to the aisle without making my seatmate get up), and the experience was significantly better than it would have been at a standard seat. Definitely recommend this.
gateH15 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:05 am

Any recommendations between the Oven roasted Beef (farfalle pasta, roasted mushroom cream sauce, cherry tomatoes) vs the Butternut Squash Risotto(red pepper coulis)?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goNorthwestern
Any recommendations between the Oven roasted Beef (farfalle pasta, roasted mushroom cream sauce, cherry tomatoes) vs the Butternut Squash Risotto(red pepper coulis)?
Not sure this is the right thread for your question. This is about the plane, seats, hard product in effect, not meals that have no bearing to the plane involved..
flyertalker54234 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by goNorthwestern
See the international meals thread
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:12 pm

AA 787-8 Premium Economy

I’m flying AA 787-8 Premium Economy DUB>ORD. Currently in bulkhead 6A and 6C. Is the additional legroom worth the proximity to lavs and narrower seat?

Last edited by degeland; Jun 18, 2019 at 8:58 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:58 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, degeland
Moving this thread to the AA Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
DUB - ORD is a daytime flight, so there may be more traffic to the lavs than on an overnight. Others have reported a significant increase in legroom on the bulkhead (last 788 I was on still had Business class in row 6). Ultimately, I've found the noise from the galley to be more frustrating than the traffic to the lavs on the 788.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by degeland
Im flying AA 787-8 Premium Economy DUB>ORD. Currently in bullhead 6A and 6C. Is the additional legroom worth the proximity to lavs and narrower seat?
IMO yes. I had the same question a few posts up on the thread, ended up going for the bulkhead and didn't regret it one bit. If the passengers are anywhere close to normal sized, window passenger can step into the aisle while aisle passenger is still sat. Didn't notice any untoward noise. Seats aren't really narrower, remember all PE seats have the tray table in the armrest, not just the bulkhead ones.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:58 am

Thank you for your thoughts! Very helpful.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:34 am

Anyone sat in 6D?
Due to fly ORD to LHR on the daytime flight, so don't want sleep.
But do want to stretch my legs out fully - I'm 6 feet tall, and skinny enough that seat width isn't a concern.
If I can't stretch out fully, can I angle my legs out and get comfy that way?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by living near shamu
thanks for the insight Phil! Much appreciated.
Worth noting that Status etc will decide who gets the upgrade as AA have chosen not to stop Main Cabin to Business upgrades as BA do. If a person of equal status to you is the competition for upgrade then the only difference between MC Economy and PE economy would be fare paid. An early PE May be cheaper than a last minute MC.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FT01
Anyone sat in 6D?
Due to fly ORD to LHR on the daytime flight, so don't want sleep.
But do want to stretch my legs out fully - I'm 6 feet tall, and skinny enough that seat width isn't a concern.
If I can't stretch out fully, can I angle my legs out and get comfy that way?
Read Mordac's reply three posts above yours. It's a good seat. I'm 6' and skinny and have flown ORD-LHR in a non-bulkhead seat and there was plenty of room for my legs out straight (under seat in front of me). Even more legroom in the bulkhead seats. You'll be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.