Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The early 2019 787-8 retrofit standardizes 788 seating at C20, W28, Y186 (of which 42 are MCE)

AA begins selling Premium Economy tickets as if 1 May (if not before) on the 787-8.

787-8 Current Status as of 24 April April 2019: NO J28 788s left in service, refit completed.:

Refitting took two weeks per airframe, and two were in the shop at Paine Field at any one time. N800AN was the test article / prototype (PAE Sep 2018), N816AA was the last (returned to service 24 Apr 2019).

here[/u] for fairly current listings.

All Boeing 787-8 have Premium Economy as of 24 April 2019.
All Boeing 787-9 have Premium Economy “out of the box”.

The Rockwell Collins MiQ seat has been selected. This is also the domestic (newly renamed) Business seat in narrowbodies, with added drop down footpegs (foot and leg rest in bulkhead rows), seatback IFE, non-moveable head rests.

Link to AA Premium Economy page.
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by flightrisk
What! How I am supposed to know this. I've never been offered one and it's not listed on the menu. What other secret menu items don't I know about?

Seriously, that's great to hear.
There's a secret martini bar at the very back of Y on the 789.....back by the toilets and rear galley. That's where Jennifer Aniston hangs out.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by TWA884
It's standard offering in J on the 789.
Veering OT but espresso is also available on the 332 in case anyone was curious.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I am flying on DFW-SCL tomorrow, and managed to snag 7A, however it appears much of the flight is empty. I think there is a high probabily I could snag 3 economy seats to make a poor man's business class. Would you recommend I keeping my premium economy reservation?

Lastly, on these airplanes, does PE get better service? or the same service as economy? I don't think AA is selling PE on this flight....they just tagged the new PE eceonomy seats as MCE.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MattFS218
I am flying on DFW-SCL tomorrow, and managed to snag 7A, however it appears much of the flight is empty. I think there is a high probabily I could snag 3 economy seats to make a poor man's business class. Would you recommend I keeping my premium economy reservation?

Lastly, on these airplanes, does PE get better service? or the same service as economy? I don't think AA is selling PE on this flight....they just tagged the new PE eceonomy seats as MCE.
Iirc Premium Economy of 787-8s go on sale tomorrow.

So it’s possible you’ll get Main Cabin service tomorrow - or not. And you can gamble that three MC seats might be available, but they might not. What are you basing your “however it appears much of the flight is empty” on? Occupied seat chart on aa.com? I hope there’s not a tour, cruise or student group with tickets but no seat assignments until they arrive at the airport.
BlatheringPenguin likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Iirc Premium Economy of 787-8s go on sale tomorrow.

So it’s possible you’ll get Main Cabin service tomorrow - or not. And you can gamble that three MC seats might be available, but they might not. What are you basing your “however it appears much of the flight is empty” on? Occupied seat chart on aa.com? I hope there’s not a tour, cruise or student group with tickets but no seat assignments until they arrive at the airport.
I was basing it on the seat map, which was a bad idea, since now the flight looks to be full. Good thing I grabed 7D, when I could
JDiver likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Is row 10 economy (MCE) still good after the refit? Does the wall go all the way to the floor? Is there plenty of legroom?
Old May 12, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Minor nit, but there is a curtain. It is rarely opened, however.
Yes, there is a curtain between PE and the Toilets (2) & galley; another curtain between toilets/galley and J cabin. The said 2 toilets are for both J and PE pax.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
On the 788, are the bulkhead seats like those on the 77W with a lot of extra legroom, or is the bulkhead closer?
Old May 29, 2019, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Only flown 1a on my 788 flights and I normally fly 3A in J on 77W, as I prefer to be as far from the engines as poss. The legroom is about an inch to two inches less on 788.

cannot help you on 788 coach though I did try PE in Exit Row on 77W when it was still MCE and for a day time flight very acceptable.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Meant PE actually. Currently on 9J in a 788 but have 6A (bulkhead) open. If the legroom is the same as on a 77W then I'll switch, that was just there for comparison, because I've seen the 77W myself, but not the 788.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Sorry cannot help, not flown coach on 788. Using the bathroom which is behind business to did not look like a massive difference but you are after someone who has flown it. Good luck.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Is row 10 economy (MCE) still good after the refit? Does the wall go all the way to the floor? Is there plenty of legroom?
I'd like to know the answer to this too. Row 8 used to have a ton of leg room, but I'm not sure what happened after the PE retrofit. Also, I think that when there was row 8 in MCE, 2 of the aisle seats had their foot room in the end of the business class aisle due to the width of the wall, although I can never remember which ones (C and J or D and H). Is this still true?

Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by btgm
I'd like to know the answer to this too. Row 8 used to have a ton of leg room, but I'm not sure what happened after the PE retrofit. Also, I think that when there was row 8 in MCE, 2 of the aisle seats had their foot room in the end of the business class aisle due to the width of the wall, although I can never remember which ones (C and J or D and H). Is this still true?

Thanks.
I ended up flying in row 10 bulkhead and it wasn’t great. Here are some pics. If you can get an aisle one it’s a bit better because you can angle your legs so they don’t hit the bulkhead. Other than that, I would have preferred the row behind so I could extend my legs out fully.

Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
I’m not sure if this is the right thread to ask but here it goes. My company got me PE ticket to LHT for this coming Saturday. However when I went to select a seat, it showed all booked and I was told that a seat assignment would come in that day or at the airport. I’m guessing the class is overbooked but what happens next? Will AA bump me down, to another flight where PE is available or offer to upgrade me? I’m guessing the last one won’t work because I’m a Plat, and there would be some fair difference which my company won’t pay for. Will I still be able to take my flight?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by living near shamu
I’m not sure if this is the right thread to ask but here it goes. My company got me PE ticket to LHT for this coming Saturday. However when I went to select a seat, it showed all booked and I was told that a seat assignment would come in that day or at the airport. I’m guessing the class is overbooked but what happens next? Will AA bump me down, to another flight where PE is available or offer to upgrade me? I’m guessing the last one won’t work because I’m a Plat, and there would be some fair difference which my company won’t pay for. Will I still be able to take my flight?
If PE is full and there are open seats in J then they will probably bump someone up to make space but it may well not be you. There would not be a fee if someone is bumped up for AA's convenience but there may well be people who have requested upgrades and will pay for them. You will probably get a PE seat but it will be a matter of luck which one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.