Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to DPS (Bali) in J

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

LAX to DPS (Bali) in J

I've got 260k miles in my AA account and wife has 155k. We would like to head to Bali at the end of March (3/28 - 4/8 +-2 days) and fly biz class.

I found some seats on the way there in J on Qatar airways but travel time is 35 hours (9 hour layover) and it would cost 97,500 miles per person.

It looks like CX is the way to go but no biz availability at all. There is plenty of economy though available on LAX to HKG to DPS and back and that would cost me 35k per person each way (140k total). Should I go ahead and book economy and hope for J to open up? I read that CX usually opens up award availability in J week of the flight but not really sure about this..

If J did open up, would I be able to just pay the extra points and no fees? So then it'd be 55k per person each way so total of 220k? That would be awesome

The other thing is I'd love to make a stopover for a few days in HKG but when I called the AA agent, she told me that they would have to price out the ticket separately so it'd be 22,500 for DPS to HKG (there is biz available on KA, not sure how much economy would be?) and then 35k for HKG to LAX and if biz opens up I could pay 55k for biz for the second leg.

So basically, a stopover would cost me 58,500 (mixed biz, then coach. 78,500 if biz opens up on hkg to lax). Seems kind of expensive for a stopover? No way to get it for free?

Thoughts? Any better ideas or suggestions? TIA
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:02 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This is about using AA miles so I'm moving this to the AA forum.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
The other thing is I'd love to make a stopover for a few days in HKG but when I called the AA agent, she told me that they would have to price out the ticket separately so it'd be 22,500 for DPS to HKG (there is biz available on KA, not sure how much economy would be?) and then 35k for HKG to LAX and if biz opens up I could pay 55k for biz for the second leg.

So basically, a stopover would cost me 58,500 (mixed biz, then coach. 78,500 if biz opens up on hkg to lax). Seems kind of expensive for a stopover? No way to get it for free?

Stopovers are not allowed on redemptions, so the agent was correct

A HKG-LAX redemption needs the same number of miles as a DPS-LAX redemption. So the cost of your stopover is the number of miles needed for the DPS-HKG redemption.
Or you could purchase a ticket for that leg; looking on skyscanner.net one can be had for ~USD125.
If you choose to do this, then you could choose somewhere other than HKG to fly to from DPS and subsequently from there make your homeward redemption journey to LAX - such as SIN, PNH, SGN...
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
I've got 260k miles in my AA account and wife has 155k. We would like to head to Bali at the end of March (3/28 - 4/8 +-2 days) and fly biz class.

I found some seats on the way there in J on Qatar airways but travel time is 35 hours (9 hour layover) and it would cost 97,500 miles per person.

It looks like CX is the way to go but no biz availability at all. There is plenty of economy though available on LAX to HKG to DPS and back and that would cost me 35k per person each way (140k total). Should I go ahead and book economy and hope for J to open up? I read that CX usually opens up award availability in J week of the flight but not really sure about this..

If J did open up, would I be able to just pay the extra points and no fees? So then it'd be 55k per person each way so total of 220k? That would be awesome

The prices for DPS-HKG will go up by quite a bit near the end of March.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ov-2015-a.html

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...-chart2016.jsp

Thus if you change your award from Y to J close to departure, you could end up paying 240,000 miles.

AA awards do not include stopovers.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Book what you can confirm pre 3/22/16 for J or above seats. I would expect that any award changes post 3/22 would be at the new redemption levels & costs. If you can find J at current award prices, I'd book it.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Consider routing LAX-PVG/PEK-HKG-DPS AA to China and CX to DPS. MH also goes PEK-KUL-DPS with better availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.