Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changing award post devaluation, will I be charged new price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

If I book an award in J today for travel post-devaluation, and then try to upgrade to F at T48 (pending availability) will I be charged the pre- or post-devaluation mileage price?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:14 pm
Suspended

I'm personally not aware of a public policy on this, but, if you're changing awards to a higher cabin after the new chart in in effect, I'd expect that there's a good possibility (even a probability) that one would only be grandfathered for date/time, changes not award type changes. We'll have to wait and see the official guidance on this, but that's my personal guess.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
My guess is if you up from a J award to an F award after the new chart takes effect, you will pay the new rates as moving from J to F today involves a fee-waived redeposit and new award cert being pulled along with the ticket validity date being reset to when the F award cert was pulled.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:05 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
What's the policy on changing date today tho? If keeping the origin and destination, cabin same?

I mean is it possible to book a pair and then keep extending the travel date into the future or does the ticket expire at some point?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by jix
What's the policy on changing date today tho? If keeping the origin and destination, cabin same?

I mean is it possible to book a pair and then keep extending the travel date into the future or does the ticket expire at some point?
The award ticket is valid for one year from the date of original issue, so you cannot keep changing it beyond more than one year. The only exception is if you upgrade the cabin, at which point AA essentially gives you a fee-free redeposit and you get an another year from the date of upgrade to make changes.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:31 pm

Remains to be seen. Hopefully they follow UA's footsteps and grandfather the old rates to existing reservations.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the thoughts.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by lazard
Hopefully they follow UA's footsteps and grandfather the old rates to existing reservations.
From what I remember, a UA award was protected under the old pricing so long as your original ticket wasn't canceled. Some people even created dummy bookings for a routing they eventually wanted, canceled the segments, kept the ticket active, and later re-booked with proper dates still within original ticket validity.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
My guess is that you can continue to change dates etc for free, but if a new ticket has to be issued then you may have yo pay the new price.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by slice
From what I remember, a UA award was protected under the old pricing so long as your original ticket wasn't canceled. Some people even created dummy bookings for a routing they eventually wanted, canceled the segments, kept the ticket active, and later re-booked with proper dates still within original ticket validity.
What UA did is not germane to what AA will / might do.

(I'm guessing aktchi is correct.)
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:44 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by ckpeter
The award ticket is valid for one year from the date of original issue, so you cannot keep changing it beyond more than one year. The only exception is if you upgrade the cabin, at which point AA essentially gives you a fee-free redeposit and you get an another year from the date of upgrade to make changes.
Question, I issued a ticket on partner on Oct 21, 2015 for travel in Sep, 2016. I then changed the date again few days ago to Oct 2016 and new ticket was issued (noted as exchange).

Does this mean that the last day I can travel using this ticket is October 21, 2016 provided space is available? If I change the routing but keep a segment or two in the future when I see availability, will that be a new issue ticket and extend the travel period?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by jix
Question, I issued a ticket on partner on Oct 21, 2015 for travel in Sep, 2016. I then changed the date again few days ago to Oct 2016 and new ticket was issued (noted as exchange).

Does this mean that the last day I can travel using this ticket is October 21, 2016 provided space is available? If I change the routing but keep a segment or two in the future when I see availability, will that be a new issue ticket and extend the travel period?
The last day you can travel is October 21, 2016.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
My guess is if you up from a J award to an F award after the new chart takes effect, you will pay the new rates as moving from J to F today involves a fee-waived redeposit and new award cert being pulled along with the ticket validity date being reset to when the F award cert was pulled.
I agree. But here's a twist.

In my case, I have a J/F award (on CX) for 67.5k. Long-haul J, short-haul F, but I booked it that way so I'd be charged the 67.5k rate.

SO, if long-haul F opens up post-devaluation, you would THINK it isn't treated as a redeposit/reissue, since you aren't moving up/down an actual award level - you already paid for it.

Thoughts?

Jamie
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamienbaker

In my case, I have a J/F award (on CX) for 67.5k. Long-haul J, short-haul F, but I booked it that way so I'd be charged the 67.5k rate.

SO, if long-haul F opens up post-devaluation, you would THINK it isn't treated as a redeposit/reissue, since you aren't moving up/down an actual award level - you already paid for it.

Thoughts?

Jamie
I'd definitely be inclined to think they'd let you update the downgraded segment to it's proper cabin if/when it becomes available w/o any change in already-paid award pricing.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker

Thoughts?

Jamie
How did you get them to do that? I tried so hard to get them to do that for me but none of the ways I tried worked. What's the short haul F route and what did you say to them to get it ticketed like that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.