Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA permitting a "self upgrade" to MCE/exit row after boarding door closes

FA permitting a "self upgrade" to MCE/exit row after boarding door closes

Old May 4, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by mvoight
I don't know about AA's premium economy, but on BA, for example, it is a separate cabin.
AA's Premium Economy (currently limited to just the 787-900) is a separate cabin.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
FA's letting self-upgraders to MCE on long-haul. Is this right?

Years ago on an almost full DL JFK-TLV flight I was seated in Comfort+ (equivalent to AA MCE) in an aisle seat in the middle section. Next to me was thankfully one of the only empty seats on the aircraft. For unknown reasons, a lady with a baby further back asked the FA if she could occupy that empty seat. My eyes widened with fear. The rather surly FA responded, “You can’t. That’s Comfort Plus where you had to pay extra to sit in.” I felt both protected by the FA and it affirmed the value of the extra payment to sit in that MCE-equivelent section.

But on a recent almost full AA MIA-MXP flight on a 777-200 booked in MCE (new configuration and seated in the Premium Economy section, more on that below), again I was in the aisle in the middle section on the aisle and the two middle seats next to me were empty. This was going to be an excellent flight. But after doors closed, the FA let four people from much further back in regular Economy sit in all the empty seats in the the MCE/PEY section.

I just don’t feel this was right right. With rare exceptions, no FA would condone self-upgrading to Business/First, but why should self-upgrading to MCE be any different? Part of being an elite and/or paying extra is to sit in a an area with more space and, I admit, there is a little bit of snobbishness involved knowing you’re not sitting next to the people paying rock-bottom prices unwilling to pay for extras.

Yes, I lucked out with the new PEY without paying the PEY price - it was only hard product while the soft product like Business meals where not in effect. But that seemed to make it even more questionable that folks paying only regular economy fares got a super-upgrade while those of us who paid extra got the same product they did whilst making our flight experience a little more uncomfortable.

Just my opinion and don’t mean to offend you.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

MCE is still just economy class , albeit that the seats have extra legroom ; it is not a separately ticketed cabin and so there is no upgrading when someone moves to a seat designated as MCE from another economy seat
AAExecPlatFlier likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:30 pm

Extensive discussion of MCE self-upgrading here.

But OP is slightly unclear. Was this genuine PEY but sold as MCE? The other thread is about normal MCE. Let's first be clear on what we're discussing. If it was a genuine PEY seat, then it was a separate cabin, but its being sold as MCE on this flight (if the FA was aware of that) may have muddied the waters.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
MCE is still just economy class , albeit that the seats have extra legroom ; it is not a separately ticketed cabin and so there is no upgrading when someone moves to a seat designated as MCE from another economy seat
While MCE is not an "upgrade'' - FAs should still not allow people to just move in it to from regular economy as MCE is either a paid-for add-on or an elite benefit. It's a different product than regular coach and should be treated as such.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
While MCE is not an "upgrade'' - FAs should still not allow people to just move in it to from regular economy as MCE is either a paid-for add-on or an elite benefit. It's a different product than regular coach and should be treated as such.
If it was a different product, then it would not class as lowest cabin on a flight and be liable to the standard rate of APD for departures out of UK

There is not a charge to upgrade to MCE, just that MCE seats are more expensive seats in a seat selection iirc

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead

But OP is slightly unclear. Was this genuine PEY but sold as MCE? The other thread is about normal MCE. Let's first be clear on what we're discussing. If it was a genuine PEY seat, then it was a separate cabin, but its being sold as MCE on this flight (if the FA was aware of that) may have muddied the waters.
It is only a separately ticketed cabin if sold as premium economy

If it was being sold as premium economy rather than economy , then the cabin crew member should no more be upgrading the passenger , than if moving someone from business to 1st
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:38 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Please continue to follow this thread as it moves to the existing MCE Self-Upgrade thread linked above.
/Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Nov 19, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
If it was a different product, then it would not class as lowest cabin on a flight and be liable to the standard rate of APD for departures out of UK

There is not a charge to upgrade to MCE, just that MCE seats are more expensive seats in a seat selection iirc
You are entirely hung up on the word upgrade.

If MCE isn't a different product..should passengers then be able to ask AA to refund the charge they paid for it, if the cabin goes out with empty MCE seats?

And MCE seats are not just more expensive seats - they are more expensive seats with more legroom. A materially different product than regular coach.

By your logic, a full Y fare is the same product as a G fare. It's not...

Last edited by bse118; Nov 19, 2017 at 2:43 pm Reason: typos
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead

It was not sold as PEY. As I stated I lucked into a PEY section on an MCE booking and it was only hard PEY product. This being PEY seating seems letting the self-ugraders from regular Economy even more questionable.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
You are entirely hung up on the word upgrade.

If MCE isn't a different product..should passengers then be able to ask AA to refund the charge they paid for it, if the cabin goes out with empty MCE seats?

And MCE seats are not just more expensive seats - they are more expensive seats with more legroom. A materially different product than regular coach.

By your logic, a full Y fare is the same product as a G fare. It's not...
It is simply a section of seats where to book in advance costs more - no different to other airlines that charge for seating - that there is a fee to select the seats in advance does not mean that others cannot sit there

G and Y both are economy fare bases , just that Y is likely to have less ticketing restrictions

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
It was not sold as PEY. As I stated I lucked into a PEY section on an MCE booking and it was only hard PEY product. This being PEY seating seems letting the self-ugraders from regular Economy even more questionable.
no more so than you getting it
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you want to complain about the FA's action as a matter of helping AA protect revenue, go ahead.

If this is about whether AA may permit a passenger to sit in a seat which he didn't pay for ---- whether that is another ticketed class of service or simply something such as MCE ---- the answer is that it's an internal matter to AA.

Or, if you simply want to make trouble for the FA for doing something she probably should not do without a good reason (which she might have had and you don't know), complain as well.

Last edited by Often1; Nov 19, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:21 pm

no more so than you getting it
Not the same thing. Was not upgraded or self-upgrading to anyone else's section where anyone there properly paid for that location, unlike the self-ugraders to the MCE section on this flight.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Not the same thing. Was not upgraded or self-upgrading to anyone else's section where anyone there properly paid for that location, unlike the self-ugraders to the MCE section on this flight.
As already noted, these aren't upgrades.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
As already noted, these aren't upgrades.
As already noted, these are upgrades. They're more expensive seats with more expansive legroom and, in some cases like the 777-300, more width.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:06 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
On your next flight, stop at a grocery store before the flight and buy 10 packets of M&M candies. Bring them aboard the plane. Pass the packets out to the people around you, saving one packet for yourself. But DO NOT eat the M&M's yet.

Instead, ask everyone to COUNT the exact number of M&M's in their packet. It's likely that some packets have more M&M's than others.

Lastly, if someone else has more M&M's in their packet, than YOU have in YOUR packet, scream "unfair" at the top of your lungs, and start a thread on FlyerTalk.

Let's understand what's happening here. It's okay for some people to get more than others. It happens all the time. It's normal ... as long as the person who gets more is MEEEEEE. Any other scenario is an outrage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.