FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Admirals Club membership inc. Citi AAdvantage Executive card, 1 Day Pass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1582828-archive-admirals-club-membership-inc-citi-aadvantage-executive-card-1-day-pass.html)

JDiver Jun 1, 2007 3:24 pm

ARCHIVE: Admirals Club membership inc. Citi AAdvantage Executive card, 1 Day Pass

Welcome to the Citi and Barclays Reduced AAdvantage Miles Awards thread.

May your flights be uncomplicated and on time.

The combined American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderation Team

JDiver Apr 5, 2009 6:03 pm

Admirals Club membership inc. Citi AAdvantage Executive W. E. card (master thread)

https://www.aa.com/content/images/AA...-60k-offer.jpg
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World EliteTM MasterCard® Admirals Club Membership

xerxes2001 Nov 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Citi AAdvantage / Executive World Elite card – Club membership, etc. (master thread)

Came across this old post, wondered about the rules for new Citi Card:

UPDATE: Blog reader Larry (Thanks, Larry!!) confirms receiving both personal Amex and Visa cards on May 31, 2011 and reminds us that the spend start date is the date you get approved for the card, NOT the date when you call to activate the card!

I thought it was too late to get the new Citi Exec card and have it be "open and in good standing" by Dec 1. Would someone confirm that?
It's too late to get it by mail and then to activate it.

But anyway, I phoned Citi today and asked if there were any way of getting around this
First I was told it was too late.
Then the rep said, on second thought, if I got approved right then (everyone I've spoken with claims they can tell you immediately (?)), he could open a limited credit line until I activated the card.
Wouldn't a limited credit line (and, as Larry posted, a "spend date" that began with approval) imply that you'd be given a card number?
But I take it that's not enough: you can spend on the card even before it is activated, but it's not open and in good standing?

After the rep said he could open an account with limited credit until I activated the card, he said that would not, after all, count as "open and in good standing," because Citi couldn't know if the account was in "good standing" until 1 or 2 billing cycles had passed.
I said this didn't make sense, because "open and in good standing by Dec. 1" sounded as if it just had to be open and that you hadn't just tried one charge which was refused (that would be pretty bad standing!), or something like that. Otherwise, it was misleading to say "open and good standing by Dec. 1"--if you had to go through 1 or 2 billing cycles first.

He said that if the language had said simply that the account must be "open by Dec. 1" then it would be OK and I'd have beat the deadline (for having all charged miles count toward Million Miler).
But since it said "open and in good standing by Dec. 1," there had to be sufficient activity to demonstrate "good standing."

Does this make sense to everyone else (and just not to me?)

I guess that it IS too late anyway, because Larry said that "spend start" begins with approval, not with activation.
But I still wondered why that couldn't count as "open and in good standing."

Thanks,
Xerxes2001

mvoight Nov 27, 2011 9:18 am

Originally Posted by xerxes2001 (Post 17519508)
I guess that it IS too late anyway, because Larry said that "spend start" begins with approval, not with activation.
But I still wondered why that couldn't count as "open and in good standing."

Thanks,
Xerxes2001

I am confused. Approval would occur before activation.
Today is Nov 27. If approval needs to be before Dec 1, why are you too late?

xerxes2001 Nov 27, 2011 6:31 pm

too late for new Citi card to count for MM

Thanks for replying.

Too late because "open and in good standing" requires being activated.
Maybe that completes "open," even if approval (and spending?) can already be taking place.

Doesn't make entire sense to me, but that's what I was told.

Xerxes

ernie8575 Dec 5, 2011 5:10 am

Lounge Access with new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard®

Can you and has anyone used the new card to access a lounge other than the Admiral's club? Thinking of airports where there is no aa lounge but are one world lounge(s).
Thanks.

Blumie Dec 5, 2011 7:10 am

Not a chance.

Mark_T Dec 5, 2011 8:12 am

Originally Posted by ernie8575 (Post 17568543)
Can you and has anyone used the new card to access a lounge other than the Admiral's club? Thinking of airports where there is no aa lounge but are one world lounge(s).
Thanks.

All normal OneWorld rules for access by class of service or Elite status apply, the card will do nothing for you there in much the same way as AC membership is no help either.

JDiver Dec 5, 2011 8:53 am

Essentially, think of the new Citi Executive card as an Admirals Club card in functionality. If you qualify by status or flight service level, you will be able to access, but not because you proffer a Citi Executive card.

The unanswered question is if it will grant access in clubs that offer reciprocity with Admirals Clubs (QP, iirc).

If you are meaning some other card than the Executive card, ignore this post... ;) (or, RBP/AMP and ask for a thread retitle).

Originally Posted by ernie8575 (Post 17568543)
Thanks.

TheDudeAbides Dec 5, 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 17569409)
The unanswered question is if it will grant access in clubs that offer reciprocity with Admirals Clubs (QP, iirc).

I believe QF (if flying domestically within Australia) and AS (if flying ex- ANC, PDX, or SEA on AA) both have reciprocity with Admirals Club membership. I recently switched from many years of AC membership to the new Citi "black card" as the AAngels call it, and I'm wondering if it will get me into the Boardroom when traveling ex-SEA. Anyone tried it yet?

ffI Dec 5, 2011 3:14 pm

Citi and AA should avoid this confusion by sending out a separate AC card, as UA/CO does with the Chase PresPlat card. (one of the few things I like about Chase)

kebosabi Dec 5, 2011 4:23 pm

AA isn't the only carrier that incorporates a credit card with a lounge access card or even a elite status into one single card.

JAL has been doing this for years with their own credit cards which acts as JGC cards which grants them lounge access as well.

AC agents here in the US or other OW lounge dragons across the world are very well used to seeing JGC credit cards as a lounge entry card from JAL elites.

I don't see why not a CitiExec Card that acts as an AC card would be any different than that.

MsEverywhere Dec 5, 2011 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides (Post 17571833)
I believe QF (if flying domestically within Australia) and AS (if flying ex- ANC, PDX, or SEA on AA) both have reciprocity with Admirals Club membership. I recently switched from many years of AC membership to the new Citi "black card" as the AAngels call it, and I'm wondering if it will get me into the Boardroom when traveling ex-SEA. Anyone tried it yet?

Yes, worked like a charm in SEA, as long as you're on AA.

JDiver Dec 5, 2011 4:38 pm

Exactly what I was referencing - and though everything so far has worked with my Citi Exec card, I have not tried it in Godzone / Oz / Australia, nor with AS Board Room flying AA - though MsEverywhere's post is heartening indeed and it looks like you will be fine.^

The big issue is whether the Qantas Club / lounge agents will know of the card and the fact it basically confers all standard AC membership privileges.

Mod hat on: N.B. I am going to presumptively change the thread title (unless the OP AMP/RBP or PMs me to let me know the original question was not about the "black card"). And if this is about the "black card" it may well be merged with an existing thread for member convenience. /Mod hat off

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides (Post 17571833)

Hi5z Dec 5, 2011 5:49 pm

Source: http://www.aa.com/edgedownloads/rest...miralsClub.pdf

2. Will any Admirals Clubs be closed in the future?

We remain committed to operating a worldwide network of Admirals Clubs, and will continue modernization initiatives currently underway, including extensive renovation of the New York LaGuardia club in Concourse D and construction of a new Admirals Club in Concourse C. Additionally, we are enhancing Admirals Club memberships by providing access to more lounges worldwide. Through expanded access agreements with select oneworld and other partner airlines, Admirals Club members are now able to experience premium lounges in destinations where American flies but does not have an Admirals Club, including Seattle, Portland, Budapest, Delhi, Beijing and Shanghai.