Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of older posts from the OSO thread; for the current thread see

AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Don't overlook asking AA for Original Routing Credit - though it may be complicated by having CX rerouted you instead of AA.
When I was in that exact scenario, CX airport agents were good at rerouting on other other carriers. And AA did not balk at ORC, but OP's MMV.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by tonywush
Where did you get rerouted? At the airport? or AA? or CX?
I called AA twice and neither phone agent provided good options. So, I took the chance and showed up at the airport and an AA agent gave me the option. My first segment was on AA and it was an AA ticket, so I checked in with AA. I didn't attempt to contact CX.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
When is it appropriate to ask for assistance during IRROPS?

Had one of "those" days with AA yesterday.

Flying (VIE)-LHR-LAX-DEN. Early in the morning, LHR-LAX was delayed initially 1 hr 45 minutes (our inbound was supposed to be from Miami, but got changed to from LAX, I believe due to an AA cancellation at LHR).

I had given myself a 3.5 hour connection at LAX so I could try out the Qantas lounge, not because I don't trust AA's OTP. Anyways, I noticed the inbound was still a bit ways out, and not expecting to have an AA 773 be turned around in 10-15 minutes, tried to see if I could be rerouted on AA 6170 (BA 219, nontstop to DEN). The AA lounge folks said they wouldn't do that because I had plenty of time in LA to connect.

At the gate, I had asked another agent (I don't know what the persons role was, there's lots of people in the gate area) the same question, and he told me it would cost me $400 to make the change. He asked what I was worried about and I said My 4 hour connection was down to 2, and within that 2 I would need to deplane (at TBIT), go through immigration, change terminals, , re clear security, and then take another shuttle bus to the remote terminal to board the last flight of the night to Denver. He said MCT was 90 minutes at LAX so I was fine (which BTW I did end up violating).

We took off a little over 2 hours late, and of course once we landed in LAX, waited on the ground for 45 minutes since we had another AA plane at our gate. My almost 4 hour connection now down to 1. I ended up making it only due to the fact I have Global Entry, know the layout of LAX, and hustled.

I don't think my request was unreasonable (especially as an Executive Plat too). The Lounge Agent at LHR did confirm that there was space available, but his manger was the one who said no.

I don't think looking for a reroute with a 2 hour delay is unreasonable (onto an AA codeshare), especially when there was the possibility of more delays, since AA doesn't like to post delays until right before departure.

So unless I want to make sure I build in multi-hour connections at airports, when is it reasonable to start asking for reaccomodations? United was pretty good to me in this regard, with delays after an hour allowing me to start looking at options automatically on the app. In my scenario, I was trying to be proactive, but got nowhere. If an initial 2 hour delay isn't appropriate to ask for assistance, what is? Only when you are guaranteed to miss a connection?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think the 2 hour delay should have been cause to allow your requested change. Poor form on their part.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
You should've called the exp desk, they're usually pretty good at irrops rebooking. But they're better at rebooking in their own metal like through ORD.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eh, I kind of understand why they declined to rebook you - even at the time of departure, there was plenty of time to make the connection.

Of course given the rampant delays, AA should be bending over backwards to accommodate its passengers, particularly its most loyal ones, before they become extinct.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Yeah, even though 2 hours in LAX is really, really tight (you would have been screwed if you checked a bag, for example), I think from the supervisor's perspective, 2 hours still met the MCT, so they didn't want to rebook you... it's really at their discretion.

I think if you asked for DFW or ORD on AA metal, you probably would have had better luck...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
If the schedule is over MCT, they have no obligation. The check in desk at Term 3 has been quite pleasant to deal with and has rebooked me (via ORD) when I had similar issues more than once. Otherwise as "himma" advised, I would have contacted AA Exp on the phone. Lounge personnel in LHR have no desire to do more than they have to. They have their own jobs to perform. I am not sure the gate agents are allowed to do re-bookings when there are no MCT violations (or even when there are).
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I agree with calling the EXP desk (if you are entitled) instead of desk/gate agents.

If you are at a lounge in the USA, the AAngels are very helpful; definitely talk to them. However, I don't have the similar impression of foreign lounges like LHR and would probably not bother there; I'd call the EXP desk as soon as I could.

In all such situations, be prepared for your luggage not to arrive with you if you have already checked it. If that would be unacceptable for whatever reason, stick it out and hope for the best.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Technically, rebooking wouldn't be initiated until the MCT was actually violated.

I second the suggestions to contact the EXP desk in the future. As zebranz stated, there is no obligation for airport agents to rebook from what is still a legal (if unlikely) connection, and it technically shouldn't be done without being processed as a voluntary change.

Originally Posted by 869
I think the 2 hour delay should have been cause to allow your requested change. Poor form on their part.
I want to say that it's actually a 60-minute delay that allows initiation of rebooking for elites, but I don't recall if that's a 60-minute departure delay or a 60-minute arrival delay. If the latter, then there was no obligation since the arrival time (at the time of the initial request) would have remained the same since the connection was still technically viable.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
No one suggested that AA has an obligation to rebook OP. If they show up on game day with a 105 minute delay at the outset, however, they should accommodate reasonable request for re-routing for the EXP OP. Of course, flyer's best move is to contact EXP desk when possible for this request. 2nd, reroutes on AA metal are more easily granted, of course, but I don't think this was an outrageous request.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:24 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Eh, I kind of understand why they declined to rebook you - even at the time of departure, there was plenty of time to make the connection.

Of course given the rampant delays, AA should be bending over backwards to accommodate its passengers, particularly its most loyal ones, before they become extinct.
You're kidding, right?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Originally Posted by mmgm
You're kidding, right?
I think poster meant it's not guaranteed, but should happen given the current situation (of AA driving away it's loyal members with its operations decline)

I second the AAngels or Exec deck. They've been able to help me during irregular ops when the ticketing or gate agents could not/declined
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
The only reason I didn't call the Ex Plat desk was because I had an irrational fear they would botch my ticket with less then 2 hours til takeoff, either it wouldn't issue properly or something else, and I'd have to go back to the same people who told me no and then have them fix a possible mistake.

In the end it worked out. But I was lucky - every other shown connection on the flight entertainment screen (San Jose, San Francisco, Fresno, and Las Vegas) had already departed by the time we got to the gate.

I don't travel internationally much so I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmgm
You're kidding, right?
About what?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.