Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.

What do the technical terms noted in the thread's title mean?

OSO = Off Schedule Operations,
System IROPS or IRROPS = Irregular Operations such as flight delays and/or cancellations

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.
Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies
How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)
When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the change trip button to change it online. Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers
Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We have verification this number is still in service for widespread IROPS.)
AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.843.3447 "800-THE-EGGS"
(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.

Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays
Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware
Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now
Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)
Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)
Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)
Link to USA Weather Service website
Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.
Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)
Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.
Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread
Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)[/quote]
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.
Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations
Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:
Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us (Within the U.S.)
Language Phone Hours (CT)
English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily
Spanish 800-633-3711 24 hours, Daily
Japanese 800-237-0027 6 a.m.  12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin 800-492-8095 7 a.m.  12 midnight, Daily
Portuguese 866-824-8717 6 a.m.  7 p.m., Daily
Hearing & speech impaired 800-543-1586 24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ
Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?
Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)
AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?
See this thread with that title.

Q. Im stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?
Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now Ill have to change flights.
If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 stickers AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues
NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.
Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here.
Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 1, 2007, 3:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

Please use this thread to access AA travel policy and resources or OSO, IROPS and other travel disruptions and to discuss the same, announce new sources of disruption such as weather systems, etc. affecting American Airlines and subsidiary operated flights.

Please note we intend to keep this thread current and useful; posts no longer relevant to current OSO issues will be regularly archived.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO / IROPS* issues to be listed. Older posts can be seen in the current ARCHIVE thread of the same title.

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in this year’s Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated) thread.

The wikipost there contains all information previously in this post.

May your flights be uncomplicated and on time.

Thank you, American Airlines | AAdvantage Moderator Team

*Though many of us use "IRROPS", the proper term as used in airline terminology and files is IROP, IROPs(or OSO).

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 27, 2019 at 7:34 pm Reason: Update
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

AA allowing limited self-reaccommodation in IROPS / OSO

As quoted by Gary Leff in View From the Boarding Area (30 Sep 2017) JonNYC has publicized AA now allows self-reaccommodation in OSO / IROPS Conditions. LINK

The feature is called "Dynamic Reaccom" and allows affected passengers who have opted in to flight notifications to self-book alternate flights - ONCE - using the app, website or kiosk, to other AA / Eagle flights.

Once a flight has been cancelled, a passenger would receive a message similar to “AA 412 was cancelled. You can choose between the following flights.” Available flights would then follow. Link to article 1 Oct 2017 by Paul Riegler, Frequent Business Traveler.
Using the Dynamic Reaccommodation tool will reveal alternate flights (eventually including alternate and co-terminal airports within 50 miles) in your class of service or lower you can select - ONCE. (Once your "SSR" designation has been corrected by rerouting, it's gone. Further changes must be done by phone or at a counter.)

Your ticket will be renewed immediately, and if you're within the chosen flight's check-in window you'll be able to do that even as your checked bags are automatically redirected. If you've chosen a lower class of service, the refund will also be processed automatically.

There are categories of people who won't be able to do that - those with cabin or checked pets, on awards, on multiple airlines, etc. See the linked article for further details.

Link to FT thread about this feature.

See the graphic below for detailed policy.
Attached Images  
JonNYC and psusaver like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 2, 2017 at 10:58 pm Reason: Update
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Placeholder

The wiki post there contains all information from this wiki post. Please post and read about the mid-Atlantic seaboard and Northeast OSO in that thread.

Thank you, American Airlines | AAdvantage Moderator team

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 30, 2017 at 11:20 am Reason: Reserved for future use
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:45 pm

I was given a travel alert and i have an aa flight connecting to an etihad flight coming up and was wondering if its better to wait until i check-in or call before hand to see my options. Any ideas?

Also does the check-in agent have more authority to make changes than the phone agent? What is our best bet given likely many will be affected? thanks
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by economyfly
I was given a travel alert and i have an aa flight connecting to an etihad flight coming up and was wondering if its better to wait until i check-in or call before hand to see my options. Any ideas?

Also does the check-in agent have more authority to make changes than the phone agent? What is our best bet given likely many will be affected? thanks
Search for alternatives on aa.com before you call. It doesnt matter if you check in or not.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by gateH15
Search for alternatives on aa.com before you call. It doesnt matter if you check in or not.
Thanks! But they wont be able to guarantee me on a different etihad flight though right?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by economyfly
Thanks! But they wont be able to guarantee me on a different etihad flight though right?
They can potentially rebook yo on another ethiad flight. Or get you there on AA/BA metal.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Hope tis is in the right place...My husband was on CUN-PHL yesterday afternoon. Pilot came on once plane was loaded and said delayed due to paperwork between AA and the FAA (apparently said it was delaying other flights elsewhere as well). Delay lasted over two hours on the tarmac. Passengers were apparently getting very upset so they offloaded plane and then abruptly cancelled the flight. My husband is platinum pro. I quickly called AA and the only option offered was a flight out the next day through Miami where he would have a long layover with a total travel time of 18 hours to get back home to BDL. I asked if they could put him on another carrier and she agreed to a Delta nonstop between CUN and BDL for the following day (today). He will arrive home today at 4:30PM instead of his original time of 10:00 PM last night. I am sure there is no compensation for this but what could the paperwork be that caused this?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Just thought I would add an update. My husband is at Cancun Airport waiting for his new flight and they made an announcement about the flight to Philadelphia that he was supposed to be on yesterday. Apparently it is still sitting there and they said they can't get it out but last update from AA was maybe 6:00 tonight. A passenger told him that the plane does not have the proper registration that the FAA requires for it to reenter the US. Ever heard of such a thing?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Looks like CLT tower evacuated due to possible tornado. Bad day in the southeast all around.

CLT expected to re-open at 2:00pm EST, per the FAA website.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
AA 135 canceled 2/8 today
anyone else
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by bunkunu
AA 135 canceled 2/8 today
anyone else
Looks like almost or all flights to./from LHR on AA (and I suspect all carriers) cancelled today. Major wind issue apparently.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Winter storm Ciara is causing flow control issues for LHR. They can't space them as closely as they usually do, and ATC has to direct aircraft around some turbulent cells.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:30 pm

AA2010 FLL to CLT Cancelled for "weather" on a perfectly sunny day with all other airlines landing.
It's funny the other flights MIA to CLT have no issues... a 30mile south airport...
Oh and it's PERFECT weather in Florida.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tilhas
AA2010 FLL to CLT Cancelled for "weather" on a perfectly sunny day with all other airlines landing.
It's funny the other flights MIA to CLT have no issues... a 30mile south airport...
Oh and it's PERFECT weather in Florida.
Where was your plane arriving from? Sometimes that's where the weather is a problem. At hubs they could probably find another plane, but at FLL maybe not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.