Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Preferred seats (master thread)

Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Preferred Seats
(Not Main Cabin Extra)

Link to page on aa.com

Link Link to Main Cabin Extra thread on FT

Standard legroom in a more favorable location

In the Main Cabin on American Airlines flights, Preferred seats are available to purchase when you book, during check-in or anytime in between.

Preferred seats are complimentary for:

• AAdvantage elite status members**

• oneworld Sapphire, oneworld Emerald and oneworld Ruby members

• Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket

**Includes Alaska Airlines MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K customers and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation.
Print Wikipost

American Airlines Preferred seats (master thread)

Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
If I recall correctly, non-status people do NOT get free access to MCE at check in. Best hope if you don't want to pay for MCE is to watch for an aisle or window back in the deeper part of the main cabin.

That being said, I just checked the flight and it is sod out in coach (Y0) and very heavy in business (J6). So the chance of seats opening up appear to be slim.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
If I recall correctly, non-status people do NOT get free access to MCE at check in. Best hope if you don't want to pay for MCE is to watch for an aisle or window back in the deeper part of the main cabin.

That being said, I just checked the flight and it is sod out in coach (Y0) and very heavy in business (J6). So the chance of seats opening up appear to be slim.
Correct. A test booking for a flight within 24hrs without logging in for me shows MCE and preferred seats available for a fee.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
If there are only middle seats left for free seat selection before check-in, I would recommend not reserving a seat at all and waiting to be assigned one during check-in. Worst case scenario, you're back where you started and get a middle seat, but the odds are high that you'll at least get MCE and/or a window or aisle seat.

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
But if the flight's sold out and the elite-blocked seats haven't already been pre-reserved, then odds are high that they'll become available 24 hours before departure.

Originally Posted by akcae
Correct. A test booking for a flight within 24hrs without logging in for me shows MCE and preferred seats available for a fee.
That being said, if MCE or Preferred seats are the only ones left during check-in, then they will be assigned free of charge. From my anecdotal experience, it would also seem that the system is programmed to assign paid seats for free if assigning from the remaining free seats would split up the party. For example, if a party of 3 was checking in for this flight with the seat map above, they would be more likely to get 12ABC instead of 16ACD.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
If there are only middle seats left for free seat selection before check-in, I would recommend not reserving a seat at all and waiting to be assigned one during check-in. Worst case scenario, you're back where you started and get a middle seat, but the odds are high that you'll at least get MCE and/or a window or aisle seat.
Actually, worst case scenario is that the middle seat in the last row, next to the lavatory becomes open because that person (if anyone was there) decided to pay for MCE. If that seat is the only seat open when OP tries to check in, he will basically be forced into it. And MCE may be full by that time as well. I wouldn't recommend this strategy.

I would definitely keep checking back, I think sometimes the elite-only premium (non-MCE) seats can be released prior to T-24. I'd suggest getting an expertflyer subscription to alert OP automatically, but probably best just to spend the $99 toward buying MCE outright.

That being said, if MCE or Preferred seats are the only ones left during check-in, then they will be assigned free of charge. From my anecdotal experience, it would also seem that the system is programmed to assign paid seats for free if assigning from the remaining free seats would split up the party. For example, if a party of 3 was checking in for this flight with the seat map above, they would be more likely to get 12ABC instead of 16ACD.
That's interesting, wasn't aware - thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:58 am

I was given a seat at the time of booking -- 20B -- which is a center seat. So I can't do any worse than that. Unfortunately for me the MCE seats are around 170 dollars so that really isn't an option. I will stay up super late tonight and see what happens when the 24 hour mark is hit.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mananath
I was given a seat at the time of booking -- 20B -- which is a center seat. So I can't do any worse than that. Unfortunately for me the MCE seats are around 170 dollars so that really isn't an option. I will stay up super late tonight and see what happens when the 24 hour mark is hit.
While you prob cant get into mce other pax (aa golds etc) can and will at 24 hr and that will likely open better seats in the back. Keep checking.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mananath
I was given a seat at the time of booking -- 20B -- which is a center seat. So I can't do any worse than that.
Sure you can! Like 30E in the last row. I don't think you can completely un-assign yourself a seat anyway (in order to hope for a free MCE at the gate). But there are a good number of window/aisle seats in rows 14-17 that should become available at (or even before) the 24-hour mark, so definitely check back and you should be fine.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:59 pm

A quick update. Earlier today I setup an alert on expertflyer for aisle seats. A few minutes ago one came through and I now have an economy aisle seat. phew. Oddly enough my new seat is right next to my original seat allocation.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Separate PNRs; Preferred Seating for Partner?

I've searched around in the forum, but everything I see is way old pre-merger. If I'm flying CLT-FRA on one PNR and my non-status partner is on another, can I call AA and ask them to put him beside me in preferred seating? Or will they make me pay extra for him?

Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:44 pm

Rules say same PNR but it really depends who and where your ask. If you have the same last surname it seems to help
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by palmetto86
I've searched around in the forum, but everything I see is way old pre-merger. If I'm flying CLT-FRA on one PNR and my non-status partner is on another, can I call AA and ask them to put him beside me in preferred seating? Or will they make me pay extra for him?

Thanks!
I have done it numerous times for my co-workers.. we rarely on same PNR, thus separate tix. I call EXP, so far, never had issue. maybe i was lucky
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A quick but important question about the release of green-coded "preferred" seats:

My wife and I are AA gold. We're on an off-peak timed transcon, and the flight wasn't looking too busy. So I reserved us window/aisle in preferred, hoping for an empty middle seat.

Now that we're getting close to departure, the aircraft is filling up, and the only "free" seat assignments left in the back are middles. In the preferred section, there are no aisle seats left, and only one window. At the 24-hour mark, will AA release the limitations on preferred seats allowing somebody without status to book "my" middle seat? If so, my strategy obviously won't work and I'd do better to change my seat assignment now, because "my" middle seat is preferable because it's further forward in the cabin.

Finally, is there a free tool that would easily give me the number of booked pax to seats on my flight, enabling me to make a more educated decision about what seats to select in this situation? Obviously, if somehow shows up for my middle seat, I could offer them the window and they'd likely accept, but I prefer a more seamless boarding experience (and also an empty middle seat!).
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
...Finally, is there a free tool that would easily give me the number of booked pax to seats on my flight, enabling me to make a more educated decision about what seats to select in this situation?
Pay service, Expertflyer.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Pay service, Expertflyer.
Yeah, that's what I remembered. Obviously not worth paying for something like this.

More importantly, what about the question of whether preferred seats are released to "the general public" at the 24-hour mark?

EDIT: So I wasn't watching the seat inventory at exactly 24-hours, but now "my" middle seat is taken and there are still some middles left in the back. So it would seem that, perhaps, these seats become publicly available at the 24-hour mark. Interestingly, some "main cabin extra" middle seats that weren't previously available are now available. Upgrades, maybe? But who books a middle seat even if it's main cabin extra? In any event, from this experience, I won't try to hold "window/aisle" in preferred going into the 24 hour mark unless regular coach looks wide open with lots of windows and aisles.

Last edited by iahphx; Apr 12, 2017 at 10:23 am
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA & jetBlue
So if I am reading this right, preferred seats are never let go for free at any time? Only those with status can book those seats and if they are still free then it would be assigned randomly to those with no seats yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.