Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Preferred seats (master thread)

Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Preferred Seats
(Not Main Cabin Extra)

Link to page on aa.com

Link Link to Main Cabin Extra thread on FT

Standard legroom in a more favorable location

In the Main Cabin on American Airlines flights, Preferred seats are available to purchase when you book, during check-in or anytime in between.

Preferred seats are complimentary for:

• AAdvantage elite status members**

• oneworld Sapphire, oneworld Emerald and oneworld Ruby members

• Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket

**Includes Alaska Airlines MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K customers and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation.
Print Wikipost

American Airlines Preferred seats (master thread)

Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by krlcomm
How is this a "major downgrade" for anyone that came from the US side? US did not have an MCE equivalent??
US did not have an MCE equivalent...but they did have exit rows (as all airlines do). For LUS, Golds could reserve exit rows (ahhhhhh, 10A on the LUS 321!) at time of booking.

No more LUS today, so all seats are AA allocated. Exit rows are within the realm of MCE now. So, on an LUS plane, you'll see a few rows of MCE (all exit rows and bulkheads - and many bulkheads are effectively NOT MCE though AA sells 'em that way) and some "preferred" seating (front of the plane and/or aisle seats, the only advantage to these seats.)

Now as a Gold, you can only grab an exit row or bulkhead seat on LUS planes at T-24.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
For Gold, you get 50% off Main Cabin Extra seats. I believe they become free when you are within 24 hours of the flight. This was a major downgrade in the program for AA Gold members who came over from the US Airways side.
How many MCE class seats were available on LUS? How many MCE class seats were available on LAA? Use the number of passengers per aircraft, you have lots more MCE if you're flying a LAA aircraft. I'm still not sure what Doug Parker and his mostly US executive team will do with MCE and LUS aircraft, but I'm not at all convinced this is a "major downgrade" for our LUS members - even at half price, and certainly not closer to flight time, when some elites may well have been upgraded from MCE seats.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
I've got no sympathy for Golds who are missing out on free exit row seats. A lot of EXPs (even PLTs) and yes including myself book last minute travel and would like an opportunity to pick a nice seat when F is sold out (which it usually is). The last 4 trips i've taken in the past 2 months, 3 of them were coach bookings i booked within a week of departure and i was damn glad there were still MCE seats to pick.

At least you get a 50% discount as a gold. on UA/DL, you get no discount. you pay full price or you wait til T-24.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AA - Gold
Found the problem, nothing to do with AA! My work travel department didn't link my AA # with the reservation. I was able to put it in and the preferred seats are now available to choose for free.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by JDiver
How many MCE class seats were available on LUS? How many MCE class seats were available on LAA? Use the number of passengers per aircraft, you have lots more MCE if you're flying a LAA aircraft. I'm still not sure what Doug Parker and his mostly US executive team will do with MCE and LUS aircraft, but I'm not at all convinced this is a "major downgrade" for our LUS members - even at half price, and certainly not closer to flight time, when some elites may well have been upgraded from MCE seats.
Interestingly on routes which are flown with LUS birds, the entire front section of the plane seems to be "preferred seats".

Just booked my wife on our Xmas trip. She is Gold. She's in 5A on one flight and 6A on the second flight.

One thing is nice, thank god that $@&%(*@&%ing "choice" seat nonsense has gone away (for now).
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Interestingly on routes which are flown with LUS birds, the entire front section of the plane seems to be "preferred seats".

Just booked my wife on our Xmas trip. She is Gold. She's in 5A on one flight and 6A on the second flight.

One thing is nice, thank god that $@&%(*@&%ing "choice" seat nonsense has gone away (for now).
Oh, they're still monetizing "preferred" seats - they're free to anyone with status but they'll charge you just like a "choice" seat if you don't have status.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Oh, they're still monetizing "preferred" seats - they're free to anyone with status but they'll charge you just like a "choice" seat if you don't have status.
Oh, it's horrendous. I've got a flight coming up in a couple of weeks with about 50 unassigned Y seats (738) but there are NO non-preferred seats for a "free agent" to select for free. And of the 50, only 12 can be purchased (mostly MCE and a couple of "regular" preferred seats). The rest are elite-only. I wonder how many bookings they lose when people see a sh#tty seat map that requires payment for any assigned seat. I don't think DL or UA are as bad.

And in a related note - anyone know what happens to the non-MCE preferred seats at OLCI? Do they open for nonelites for free?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I wonder how many bookings they lose when people see a sh#tty seat map that requires payment for any assigned seat. I don't think DL or UA are as bad.
Probably very few. In my experience, a lot of people don't look at the seat map or even bother to select a seat until 2 hours before departure, at which point they are absolutely shocked to discover that the only seats remaining are middle seats at opposite ends of the cabin.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
And in a related note - anyone know what happens to the non-MCE preferred seats at OLCI? Do they open for nonelites for free?
Yep! Checking in at T-23:59 is the best option to get a good and complimentary seat assignment. A lot of flights have even non-MCE/non-Preferred seats blocked for elites only until check-in.

It stinks if you have no status because you have a higher chance of ending up in an undesirable seat, but we can't blame AA for prioritizing their elite members.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Question Policy on assigning preferred seats for free?

Flying ORD to LAS and return next week and almost all exit row seats each and the front section of economy preferred seats that cost extra are available.

I am wondering for the person with no status, at what point can I get one of those seats for free if it's still available? Do I just have to wait and ask the gate agent and hope I get a friendly agent that won't charge me? I am guessing the app will never unlock these seats and make them "free".
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Flying ORD to LAS and return next week and almost all exit row seats each and the front section of economy preferred seats that cost extra are available.

I am wondering for the person with no status, at what point can I get one of those seats for free if it's still available? Do I just have to wait and ask the gate agent and hope I get a friendly agent that won't charge me? I am guessing the app will never unlock these seats and make them "free".
Nothing out of the ordinary, just wait after the 24hr check in time to see what is available and the GA will assign accordingly. At that time most of the elites that are waiting for upgrade would have been upgraded.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum

The only time you would get one of those seats for free especially those marked as Main Cabin Extra (like Exit Row) would be if you don't already have a seat assignment and there are no "free" seat assignments available.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Aside from the risk of being subject to an IVB (probably unlikely) the OP is better off waiting for a seat assignment at the gate. At best there is nothing but MCE seats left and at worst he would still be shoved into a middle seat in the back of the a/c.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Just to clarify. I already have a seat assignment. There are seats available towards the back of the plane currently. I was just hoping to be able to move up to either an exit row or an aisle seat closer to the front.

If I can't switch I may just pull my trick I do on Spirit and wait until the flight has completely boarded and be the last one on the plane and just take an empty one of my choice.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just to clarify. I already have a seat assignment. There are seats available towards the back of the plane currently. I was just hoping to be able to move up to either an exit row or an aisle seat closer to the front.

If I can't switch I may just pull my trick I do on Spirit and wait until the flight has completely boarded and be the last one on the plane and just take an empty one of my choice.
Well in that case, you won't be assigned a preferred or MCE seat for free, if you already have a seat assignment.

As for taking an empty seat of your choice, MCE seats are sold by AA. While you will get away with this most of the time, doing so is not ethical.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
Well in that case, you won't be assigned a preferred or MCE seat for free, if you already have a seat assignment.

As for taking an empty seat of your choice, MCE seats are sold by AA. While you will get away with this most of the time, doing so is not ethical.
I would never take a MCE seat for free as I agree those are sold for a premium. But I would not hesitate to take a regular aisle seat that is closer to the front of the plane. I think that those non-MCE seats that are just more desirable should be released to whoever wants them at T-24.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.