Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

US Airways and LAA plane repainting / new livery

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

I recently spoke to a top transportation industry analyst and was told that US Airways will not be repainting for a while because of legal issues involving repainting before the merger closes. Does anyone know what they are and what the actual status of repainting is? How many have been repainted?
Does this even make sense to anyone? I remember that with the United/Continetal merger repainting began fairly quickly.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
That makes no sense. The corporate merger closed in 2013. They've obtained a single operating certificate. Saving money seems much more likely.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Said analyst should brush up on their facts. Lots of US Airways planes have already been repainted in the American Airlines scheme.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
I recently spoke to a top transportation industry analyst and was told that US Airways will not be repainting for a while because of legal issues involving repainting before the merger closes. Does anyone know what they are and what the actual status of repainting is? How many have been repainted?
Does this even make sense to anyone? I remember that with the United/Continetal merger repainting began fairly quickly.
The "top transportation industry analyst" with whom you spoke doesn't know thing one about this merger. I'd take anything/everything they say with a giant grain of salt.

The corporate merger closed on Dec 9, 2013, and repainting of the US Airways fleet began in earnest almost immediately thereafter.

US and AA merged their frequent flyer plans almost two weeks ago and earlier today, the FAA issued the single operating certificate that is the government's official approval of the combination of the two airlines.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Tuesday evening at PHL Terminal B/C, looking out from the Club, more than half the US planes at gates were in new AA paint.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Do a Google Search and you can read what anyone can post..

Do a Google Scolar Search, and eliminate the BS.

Any on can post anything, but the BS can be filtered out...
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Tuesday evening at PHL Terminal B/C, looking out from the Club, more than half the US planes at gates were in new AA paint.
And DFW terminal E is an increasing sea of AA livery too.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I can't imagine there are "legal issues" with painting an airplane. Didn't they stencil "operated by US Airways" on the aircraft painted up to now anyway?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CPRich
Didn't they stencil "operated by US Airways" on the aircraft painted up to now anyway?
That is correct.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Yeah it made no sense to me either. Guy I know is a big fish in the industry. Meets regularly with Doug Parker. Wonder if one of us just misinterpreted something. Is there a website detailing the progress of repainting. if I remember correctly there was some av geek tracking the UA/CO repainting a few years ago.
My understanding is that aircraft livery is a marketing decision and has no legal ramifications but if anyone actually knows please correct me.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by satman40
Do a Google Scolar Search,
And you'll still be surprised how much BS there is

There is nothing preventing US Airways from using AA livery if AA has no problems with them doing so. I've flown on AA-painted, US-operated planes as far back as mid-last year.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Another prime example of an analyst that has no clue what he is talking about. I know another "analyst" that thinks he knows it all about the airline business but hasn't been in the business for years and still "analyzes" things based on his outdated experience.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Another prime example of an analyst that has no clue what he is talking about. I know another "analyst" that thinks he knows it all about the airline business but hasn't been in the business for years and still "analyzes" things based on his outdated experience.
I've definitely met those types. But this guy is very much still in the game. He is the head analyst for airlines and airports among other transportation sectors for a major Wall Street firm.

Last edited by BA_Jfan; Apr 9, 2015 at 7:40 am Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
I've definitely met those types. But this guy is very much still in the game. He is the head analyst for airlines and airports among other transportation sectors for a major Wall Street firm.
Unless you misunderstood what he told you, doesn't sound like he is in touch with the industry. Being a head analyst sadly doesn't mean they truly know what they are talking about.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
There's a thread at a.net attempting to track the painting of AA and US aircraft into the new livery. As of the April 1 update, the thread reported (for pm-US planes) that 29 A319s, 7 A320s, 50 A321s, all of the 332s and 333s, 14 757s, and a number of US Airways Express aircraft had been painted in the new AA livery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.