Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
AA 891 today 1/18/17 (CLT to DFW) showed J7 and C7 for last 3 days according to ExpertFlyer but my ExPlat Comp Upgrade never cleared within the window. Checked with Admirals Club Agent upon check-in today and he confirmed actually 9 seats in J were available. Upgrade finally cleared 1 hour prior to departure.

QUESTION - If C is the new X why didn't upgrades clear when C showed availability over the previous 3 days?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by coswellnc

QUESTION - If C is the new X why didn't upgrades clear when C showed availability over the previous 3 days?
I don't think that C is the new X, C is the new A in that its for upgrades using a SWU or miles. R is the new X which is different from C or A. At least thats my understanding.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
That would explain it. Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by Score8
If this policy is going to continue, and I'm guessing there is a business reason for it, I would hope that they could go DL style and tell folks how many unallocated seats remain so we can steel ourselves for the coach ride. It actually matters - particularly on the long hauls - since I will need to stock up on food and water for the journey if I'm living in the back.
Yes, that would be helpful. AS displays cabin size, booked total and checked in total below their upgrade list. No reason to hang around after boarding begins when it's 12 seats, 12 booked, 11 checked in and you are #7.

Originally Posted by ryan182
I don't think that C is the new X, C is the new A in that its for upgrades using a SWU or miles. R is the new X which is different from C or A. At least thats my understanding.
This is correct. You cannot use EF to display R class, and that is where sticker (500-mile) upgrades will book. If you see C and you have a SWU listed, you should be able to call about it (or you may find your reservation is in process when you try to display it). If you want to use a SWU and see C, then you should be able to call in and confirm it.

From my own experience, changing the front cabin to the J categories is making SWU harder for domestic trips. i was looking in Feb to use up some that will expire and I can't find much C availability the days that I can travel. I could often find lots of A availability that would work.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Flew MCO-ORD on Tuesday and only 2 seat taken on the seat map. At T-2 was talking to the customer service desk agent and indeed confirmed only 2 seats taken. I was #3 out of 10 on the list and we all cleared 15 minutes til boarding. 4 seats left empty. I wasn't really sweating that one but still a bit annoying as being able to chose the meal is really nice. Of course the newest rotation of meals is pretty bad so maybe not getting the upgrade would have been better
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA 891 today 1/18/17 (CLT to DFW) showed J7 and C7 for last 3 days according to ExpertFlyer but my ExPlat Comp Upgrade never cleared within the window. Checked with Admirals Club Agent upon check-in today and he confirmed actually 9 seats in J were available. Upgrade finally cleared 1 hour prior to departure.

Was upgraded at boarding today on 695 phl-phx. I was number 2 on the list and got the last seat in F. I overheard others near me in line saying "I'm exp and I'm 8 on the list" and so on. Why me? Lucky?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
DTW-DFW yesterday was J7 and C7 for two days but they didn't clear anyone off upgrade list until T-30.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by 869
DTW-DFW yesterday was J7 and C7 for two days but they didn't clear anyone off upgrade list until T-30.
DFW-SFO did not clear until the gate but it was J2 for the last 1-2 months so fair enough.

MSY-DFW on the other hand was J7 for as long as i can remember and that didn't clear until T-2 hours.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by enviroian
Was upgraded at boarding today on 695 phl-phx. I was number 2 on the list and got the last seat in F. I overheard others near me in line saying "I'm exp and I'm 8 on the list" and so on. Why me? Lucky?
Isn't the tiebreaker after status when you request the upgrade/buy the ticket?
I'd say that you requested your upgrade/bought your ticket before the others.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AAdv Exec Platinum, SPG Gold
ORD-DFW on a late Tuesday afternoon - no weather issues at any airport. 15 upgrades were cleared at the gate just before boarding (on a super 80). It's just plain ridiculous..
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT

Waiting on ORD>LAS tomorrow, J7, only 3 seats occupied, booked in September, not yet cleared. This is beyond ridiculous.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
MIA-LAX AA1147 949p, cleared T-36 hours. At F5 after my upgrade. Comp ups are still available, just really slow.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Although the window shrinkage is quite annoying I'm still on a 100% score so far into the year (booking within a week or more so). Today JFK-ORD finally for first time I cleared before airport, at T-5.5. Other ORD-LGA-ORD runs were all at gate.

For those that share the anxiety of them having called boarding already before processing upgrades, each time now I go ahead a bit in advance and inform the GA of my position and ask if I should wait it out. For some of the flights it turns out that they already sorted the upgrades, so perhaps it'll be helpful to be just a bit assertive
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: aa
I agree the 100 hour upgrade window is a thing of the past. Last year flying the same route would get upgraded 100 hr. I noticed last August, when they made changes to the advantage awards. I noticed, same route, upgrade went to 24 hours then down to 5 hours and every flight I'm on now, upgrades now are done at the gate. They don't care about loyalty just revenue now. Holding F until the last minute to sell and those that have bought, choice of seat. Time to move on, free agent, loyalty is a two way street. Haven't missed an upgrade yet but sitting at the gate waiting to be called or board and have them pull you up from coach, sux, time to explore other airlines.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Complimentary upgrade Y to J for Monday, 1/23 AA#83 JFK-LAX at T-48. Almost fell over.

Last edited by brc757rr; Jan 22, 2017 at 9:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.