Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
9 of us cleared yesterday for 11 open seats at T-3. A friend checked in just prior to that and was given an upgrade offer for the same flight for a low price.

Two non-elites for tomorrow's flight (AA49) checked in and purchased the upgrade option on the website for pay (equivalent to the sticker cost +$10) and received an instant upgrade - ahead of those on UPG list with status.

Last edited by AA-Flyer-SAN; Apr 19, 2015 at 6:37 am
Old May 14, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Another data point. EF showing A 7 for tomorrow's noon flight. Have not cleared yet. Only bad part about this is not knowing if the stickers you buy will get used.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by TWAL10114Ever
I'm sorry, but to me, if seat choice and meal choice are that important, you pay for it up front for that guarantee.
The only reason clearing early makes a difference for me is that if it's a long meal flight, and I don't get the upgrade, I want to eat something before getting on the plane. No big deal.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
9 of us cleared yesterday for 11 open seats at T-3. A friend checked in just prior to that and was given an upgrade offer for the same flight for a low price.

Two non-elites for tomorrow's flight (AA49) checked in and purchased the upgrade option on the website for pay (equivalent to the sticker cost +$10) and received an instant upgrade - ahead of those on UPG list with status.
Yes - It's been, perhaps, more annoying as of late. On the last 8 flights over the last month, I have not cleared until T-4 before departure whereas earlier in the year 90% of my flights cleared at the 100 hr window.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN

I've also noticed that I only now clear the within T-24 hours. The T-100 hour upgrade hasn't been seen a very long time. the above quote is troublesome. Is this typical where AA sells F seats at OLCI before elites have cleared? I thought it was AA's official position that OLCI $ upgrades only occurred in situations where the upgrade waitlist was empty. This would be a HUGE deal if this changed.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:29 pm

Flying on 187 BOS - ORD tomorrow... normally my upgrades on my Boston runs clears several days out, often at T-100 no matter when I booked. This time, I booked in December and no upgrade to be had yet. Cabin is showing F7 A7 and was F7 earlier in the week when the upgrade window opened.

On my outbound on Saturday, 186, I cleared about T-6. Even with the cabin showing F7 A6 for most of the week leading up to the flight.

As an EXP booking back in late December, if I'm not at the top of the list I'd be damn surprised. Just don't understand the reasoning in holding back the seats. Everything BOS - ORD tomorrow is F5+ except for one F2 (6am departure).
Old May 19, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
First, I would love to know how much these upgrades are being sold for to the non-elites who are not on the complimentary list.

Next, FWIW, I have heard US GA's in PHX announce that, before they clear the upgrade list, they have an 'exciting opportunity for anyone who might wish to purchase one...' which really made me see red. So, it sounds like this will be the norm for the 'new' American. And, as a PHX GA told me, when she sold a complimentary upgrade out from under me (had the new BP in my hand!), 'money comes first' which I suspect is Discount Dougie's mantra!
Old May 19, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by txrus
First, I would love to know how much these upgrades are being sold for to the non-elites who are not on the complimentary list.

Next, FWIW, I have heard US GA's in PHX announce that, before they clear the upgrade list, they have an 'exciting opportunity for anyone who might wish to purchase one...' which really made me see red. So, it sounds like this will be the norm for the 'new' American. And, as a PHX GA told me, when she sold a complimentary upgrade out from under me (had the new BP in my hand!), 'money comes first' which I suspect is Discount Dougie's mantra!
Despite all the whining amongst Delta DMs, FCM hasn't cut back on Delta's capacity utilization. I'm sure that hasn't gone unnoticed at AA.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:49 pm

And, as a PHX GA told me, when she sold a complimentary upgrade out from under me (had the new BP in my hand!),'money comes first' which I suspect is Discount Dougie's mantra!
"Hi Gate Agent, I'd like to see your supervisor."

That's garbage, I'd have lost it.

Hope you wrote in about that, that shouldn't happen.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by rikramer
I've also noticed that I only now clear the within T-24 hours. The T-100 hour upgrade hasn't been seen a very long time. the above quote is troublesome. Is this typical where AA sells F seats at OLCI before elites have cleared? I thought it was AA's official position that OLCI $ upgrades only occurred in situations where the upgrade waitlist was empty. This would be a HUGE deal if this changed.
I cleared last week on the new 788 ORD->DFW at T-100 on a flight booked two weeks out, so early upgrades do still exist.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:56 pm

What really gets me about these strategies is that it is the elites who end up at a disadvantage as they are often not give the opportunity to purchase the upgrade (since they are already on the upgrade list).
Old May 19, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
I cleared last week on the new 788 ORD->DFW at T-100 on a flight booked two weeks out, so early upgrades do still exist.
Granted, I was not very clear in my statement. I was referring to my own experiences....I haven't been upgraded at T-100 for a long time now. I do not have access to any information nor was I stating my belief that the T-100 window was no longer in play across AA.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
My last three AA-metal jaunts have cleared day of.

The most recent one, yesterday morning, I cleared along with half the F cabin at two minutes before boarding began.

I have a US-metal itinerary coming up next Tuesday, will see when that one clears...
Old May 19, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA exp
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
My last three AA-metal jaunts have cleared day of.

The most recent one, yesterday morning, I cleared along with half the F cabin at two minutes before boarding began.

I have a US-metal itinerary coming up next Tuesday, will see when that one clears...
I had same experience dfw-atl last month. F 2/3 empty but UPG cleared only t-4 both ways.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My last few experiences have been on US. But my Dad (AA Platinum) noted that his last trip from RDU to ORD and back, both upgrades cleared at the gate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.