Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any Ways / How to Upgrade Award Tickets? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Upgrading AA Award Tickets

AAdvantage ConciergeKey and Executive Platinum members have reported being able to upgrade award tickets using the same criteria as UDU / 500 mile even-upgrade "stickers" as of March, 2017.

Otherwise, Award tickets can not be upgraded with the usual upgrade instruments (nor do award trips earn miles) at this time. An award may be able to be "upgraded" by securing an award for a higher class of service, in which case AA will often allow the change at no additional cost. Be sure to read the FAQ and threads on MileSAAver and AAnytime wards - one can sometimes reasonably "upgrade" an Economy AAnytime award to a MileSAAver to Business or First if a seat is available.

Upgrades on Award tickets link

Executive Platinum members will be able to use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class.
It is possible upgrades for money ("LFBU") might be on sale at a kiosk or ticket counter.

Those flying domestic sectors on voluntary downgrades to First and Business connections where there is no Dimestic First or Business award inventory are similarly situated. If no award seat inventory is available on the downgraded flights, only LFBU (if offered) are likely to result in a seat in J or F.

For an older thread on this topic, see also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...09-2013-a.html

For information on kiosk / LFBU (load-factor based) upgrades, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

(with credit to dstan)
Print Wikipost

Any Ways / How to Upgrade Award Tickets? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
You will need to provide some more info as its not clear if you're flight is BA or AA. BA does offer airport upgrades from Y to W and even Y->CW - there's a thread on the BA forum that has the costs for these (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...17-thread.html) but its hit or miss if they are offered and also even if you they are offered for you personally (BA seems to offer AUGs but if you use it too often even if they are on offer they might not be available for you). If an AA flight on the long haul my guess is those with mileage or SWU upgrade requests on a flight to LHR will take any available upgrades but there's a change for a paid upgrade, you cannot to my understanding use instruments or miles to upgrade a miles ticket other than re-ticketing into a J award ticket.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ryan182
You will need to provide some more info as its not clear if you're flight is BA or AA. BA does offer airport upgrades from Y to W and even Y->CW - there's a thread on the BA forum that has the costs for these (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...17-thread.html) but its hit or miss if they are offered and also even if you they are offered for you personally (BA seems to offer AUGs but if you use it too often even if they are on offer they might not be available for you). If an AA flight on the long haul my guess is those with mileage or SWU upgrade requests on a flight to LHR will take any available upgrades but there's a change for a paid upgrade, you cannot to my understanding use instruments or miles to upgrade a miles ticket other than re-ticketing into a J award ticket.
Thanks for the info. One of the options was Y on the nonstop next Wednesday lhr-phx on BA. I was curious what seating benefits in Y an exp might have if any.

Outbound was domestic AA to either Dfw or mco then BA over the pond. I bet aa metal across the pond may open in the pond tomorrow morning.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for the info. One of the options was Y on the nonstop next Wednesday lhr-phx on BA. I was curious what seating benefits in Y an exp might have if any.
As an EXP you can select any open Y seat on the plane at the time of booking. Probably one of my more frequently used EXP benefits.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold

Outbound was domestic AA to either Dfw or mco then BA over the pond. I bet aa metal across the pond may open in the pond tomorrow morning.
FWIW next wednesday (7/5) theres U (saver J) space on the LHR-ORD flight AA99 if you wanted to try to spend some more miles and secure J now. Otherwise if you stay on BA then youcould try at LHR, ask at checkin they have a desk in T5 for this or you can do it at the lounge though know that in the FLounge in LHR the desk by the restroom/champagne bar they can tell if AUG is available but you will have to go upstairs to the J lounge to do the payment/ticketing. On the return I'd suspect you'd not have good luck on the DFW-LHR flight given the number of paid Y EXPs with SWUs trying for those upgrades.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ryan182
FWIW next wednesday (7/5) theres U (saver J) space on the LHR-ORD flight AA99 if you wanted to try to spend some more miles and secure J now...
To further clarify, the unwritten rule (at least I don't think it's written anywhere) is that AA will let you change from an economy booking to business without paying a re-deposit fee. (Not relevant, EXPs don't pay re-deposit fees) Just remember, on the return, the higher class will mean a higher air passenger duty.

Domestic segments upgradable?
From AA:
As a ConciergeKeySM or Executive Platinum member, you’ll be able to use your complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits to upgrade yourself and 1 companion on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel within North America on American from Main Cabin to the next class.

From this it's not clear to me whether domestic legs of an international awards are eligable. There is a thread discussing the new benefit (see below), but I haven't seen positive confirmation either way.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...=award+upgrade

Last edited by Aero137; Jun 30, 2017 at 12:12 am
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Cannot request upgrade

A few weeks ago I booked a round trip flight. Usually I can log into either the App or to the AA site and request to be put on the upgrade list using my 500-mile vouchers. For this particular flight, I have not seen that option.

Is this because First Class cabin is already sold out? I can see that option for my other flights, but not this one.

TIA.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
What's your booking class? If you booked basic economy you won't be able to request an upgrade.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:39 pm

Looks like the class is "Economy"...I should also mention that I did use Award Miles to book this flight.

Strange even though I'm AAdvantage Platinum they won't let you request an upgrade.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Sloveez
Looks like the class is "Economy"...I should also mention that I did use Award Miles to book this flight.

Strange even though I'm AAdvantage Platinum they won't let you request an upgrade.
You can't upgrade an award flight with E500s unless you're CK or EXP (perhaps Plat Pro too? Can't remember)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Sloveez

From AA.com:
Upgrades on award tickets
Executive Platinum members can use complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage award tickets for travel within North America on American.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:53 pm

Thanks for the quick replies! That answers that...oh well...Exit Row here I come..
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I received the following in an email today from AA:

"We’re unable to automatically request 500-mile upgrades because you’re traveling with someone not eligible for complimentary upgrades.
Request Upgrade

You can also call to request upgrades. Contact American Reservations"

The referenced Record Locator is for an Award Ticket with outbound in First and return (first segment with First less than 500 miles) in Economy. I am only Platinum. When I click on the Request Upgrade I am sent to the flight where I am able to request an upgrade on the return segment with a First cabin.

I am traveling with my son who is not an AAdvantage member.

I assume this is an IT glitch and that the policy on award ticket upgrades has not changed to allow Platinums to request upgrades.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 3mm, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone know if one were a CK or EXP and would like to upgrade an award ticket, what the PALL order is? i.e. is it treated the same as a revenue main cabin ticket in the priority order? (in other words, does it make a difference if a CK buys a main cabin ticket or if it is an award ticket?)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lcflyer
Does anyone know if one were a CK or EXP and would like to upgrade an award ticket, what the PALL order is? i.e. is it treated the same as a revenue main cabin ticket in the priority order? (in other words, does it make a difference if a CK buys a main cabin ticket or if it is an award ticket?)
From aa.com:
  • Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after all other 500-mile upgrade requests on purchased tickets within each elite level
  • Companions will have the same priority as the sponsor member
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 3mm, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks. So that means I come last as CK, but before EXP. Interesting for CK on hard to upgrade transcons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.