Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hurnik
Contacting AA Customer Relations & Discussion
Contacting Customer Relations, complaints and related issues
N.B. AA and US combined Customer Relations as of 20 January 2015

=Q. What is the difference between AA Customer Relations and Customer Service?

Posted some time ago, still relevant: What is the best avenue to file such a complaint? Is it AAdvantage Customer Service, or AA Customer Relations? Each one seems to have its own email comments form on AA.com. When using these forms, are they usually pretty good about responding? If not, is there an email address I can directly email in a situation like this?

Reply by AmericanAirlines View Post:

Good question. American Airlines has 2 departments: one called Customer Relations and one called AAdvantage Customer Service.

AAdvantage Customer Service is for assisting AAdvantage members with account issues (address changes, mileage posting issues, etc…) American Airlines Customer Relations is for addressing customers past travel experiences (delays, employee issues, etc…)

Stephen @ AA

At one time, AA maintained an occasional and official "helpful lurker" presence, comprised of more than one person, with the FlyerTalk handle AmericanAirlines; AA has chosen not to maintain such a presence on FlyerTalk.
Customer Relations

Our Customer Relations department is dedicated to addressing customer comments and unresolved concerns. The Customer Relations department will respond to our customer’s written complaints within 60 days. Customer Relations can be reached at:

U.S. Mail/Overnight Mail American Airlines Customer Relations
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Fax: 480-693-2300

Email AA Customer Relations Opens in a new window (link)
Wrong thread? Need AAdvantage Customer Service? Contacting AAdvantage Customer Service master thread (link)

NOTE: AA and US consolidated their main Customer Relations contact process January 2015. Whereas previously US CP and AA EP / EXP could contact Customer Relations by telephone, that is no longer possible.

To register complaints, one must use the e-form linked to here: Email AA Customer Relations (pops up AA e-form); there is no publicly published telephone number to call for AA Customer Relations. NOTE: form limited to 1,500 characters. Invalid character or empty required information field causes form refusal.

You may specify you want a reply within this form; if you do not do so, it is quite possible you won't receive an acknowledgement of your communication. The initial reply may be a mere acknowledgement; if there is a case number, record it and use it in future communication

Also note replies from AA Customer Relations can not be autoreplied to. (Clarification here):
It appears that AA is using bot-generated replies to your complaint form. You CAN reply to that email if you want to get your complaint routed to a real person. Otherwise, the bot-generated email will simply issue an apology, and nothing more (no compensation). Once you reply to that auto-generated email, you should get a team member response in a few days.

It has been suggested separate issues be addressed by sending separate customer contact forms. Unfortunately, employees can easily conflate separate issues or stop reading after the first one.

One can include a telephone number and ask AACR call back. They will likely do so, but it will require you to monitor your phone until they call.

Compliment, Complaint, or Comment

Contact Information (including)

• Past Flight Experience
• Praise/Compliments
• Concerns/Complaints
• Suggestions/Communication

"We want to be sure we hear from you. Please verify that you are on the correct country version of aa.com, by checking the country flag displayed at the top of the page. Then submit your comments or inquiries using the link below: "

Email AA Customer Relations (pops up AA e-form)

See this page

(Limited to 1,500 character.)

Other Contact Information

Mail/Overnight mail
American Airlines Customer Relations
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Previously: Phone: 817-786-3778 and Fax: 480-693-2300

Need help with something else?
  • Upcoming or current travel
  • Special needs / Disability assistance
  • Frequent flyer program
  • Delayed baggage
  • Refunds
  • Help booking online
  • American Airlines Vacations
Use links from this page
Who's the boss?Executive Contacts (Christopher Elliott - link)Primary Contact
Vincent Carcaterra
Director of Customer Relations
1 Skyview Drive
Fort Worth , Texas 76155
[email protected]

Secondary Contact
Kurt Stache
Senior Vice President – Customer Experience
1 Skyview Drive
Fort Worth, Texas 76155 76155
[email protected]
Note: calling or emailing is not necessarily effective nor recommended.
"Snail mail" or written material by courier may be more effective.

Suggestions from members For effective communications:
  • If you have a case number, include it prominently
  • Include your name and contact information
  • Be sure to include key dates, times, ticket numbers
  • Keep it factual, brief, and strive for clarity
  • If you expect reimbursement, keep it within scale and do specify
  • Be specific - and realistic - about what you want / your expected outcome.
  • Keep feelings, hyperbole out of your story.
  • AA never accepts consequential damages (missed important events, etc.)
See USDOT below)
Twitter

If you have a Twitter account, you may get rapid assistance or resolution by tweeting @AmericanAir. See post #45 by JonNYC and this FT thread: Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thd). From there:

Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ

Q. How do I use this channel of communication?

You must first sign up for a (free) Twitter account. When you do, Subscribe to the AA Twitter channel: @AmericanAir.

Note: Getting assistance from Twitter for a specific reservation can be improved by communicating with them by using the DM / Direct Message (like PM here) system, where you can include your PNR and details privately - and your AAdvantage number and EP status so they can link it with your Twitter profile. This is easily done by sending them a tweet asking them "Please follow me for DM" so they can "follow" you and receive DMs from you.

Once this has been done, you may wish to take your account Private.

Q. How can they help?

@AmericanAir can assist with OSO (Off-Schedule Operations - "IRROPS") when it might otherwise take a long time to get a response from the telephone desk employees. There are many things that @AmericanAir can do when time is of the essence; read posts below for more.

Q. Can I report service issues?

Certainly.

Q. Can I laud or compliment excellent service?

Certainly. The Twitter team will log these and for AA employees (including employees of wholly owned subsidiaries, but not contractor employees) and pass on compliments to supervisors, who will add them to the employee's personnel record.
For further information on how Twitter works, read here.
US Department of Transportation - File a Consumer Complaint

Airline Service Complaints and Comments

Complaints and comments about airline service other than safety or security issues may be registered with DOT's Aviation Consumer Protection Division (ACPD). You can call, write or use our web form.

You may call the ACPD 24 hours a day at 202-366-2220 (TTY 202-366-0511) to record your complaint. Calls are returned Monday through Friday, generally between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time.

You may send us a letter at: Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590

You can send us a complaint, comment or inquiry electronically by using our web form. This form allows us to capture information more accurately and process it more efficiently. The web form allows you to attach a file.
Whether you call, write or use the web form, please be brief and concise in the description of your problem and be sure to include the following information:
  • Your name
  • Complete address
  • Daytime phone number (including area code)
  • e-mail address
  • Name of the airline or company about which you are complaining
  • Flight date
  • Flight number if known
  • Origin and destination cities of your trip.
If you send us a letter, you should also include a copy (not the original) of your airline ticket or itinerary sheet and any correspondence you have already exchanged with the company.

- See more at: https://www.transportation.gov/airco....Iar1Z6Ve.dpuf
Note: Earlier this year, others were still receiving email with:

Customer Relations
American Airlines
4255 Amon Carter Blvd., MD 2400
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Fax: 817-967-4162
AND they've emailed about using [email protected] for EC261/2004 issues.
Print Wikipost

Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
However, experts, what if it's LAS-JFK-LHR with the TATL leg to be in BA? If AA's delayed LAS-JFK which caused a misconnect at JFK, would BA have to be liable for EU261 compensation? My first guess is no, but I didn't read the fine details, nor have I ever experienced that before.
No it wouldn't
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
Guess they forgot about that this month when they gave me 15,000 miles flying to Taipei and 10,000 miles when flying home from Hong Kong, both for service disruptions.
Not to mention guidance from an automated system (Helix) that makes it so that 2 members of the same status experiencing identical disruption will receive sometimes substantially different compensations based on their Helix ranking.

So, no, the broad-brush generalizations of what they will or won't give to a given member for a given disruption are not at all accurate.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL
I am sorry you have issues with AA. I can only say I have had several issues in the past with AA and they could care less. This is why I have switched over to KLM- delta and AA has lost ALL business from me. I have been a medallion member for over 10 years flying back and forth to Europe several times a year in business class and economy comfort and have several very good friends that has switched to my airline and got away from AA also. Sorry this really does not answer your question but AA Corporate office could care less also, you only get I am sorry for the issues you have.......... Really AA. oh by the way I lost a free flight using miles to Austria as I refused to fly them even free.... that should say something about this airline.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KLMairliner
...oh by the way I lost a free flight using miles to Austria as I refused to fly them even free.... that should say something about this airline.
It really doesn't though.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by KLMairliner
Sorry this really does not answer your question but AA Corporate office could care less
When was your last complaint to AA? You mentioned something in your post about 10 years with Delta. Was your most recent complaint to AA 10 years ago? What did you complain about, exactly?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: GGL/GFL
Hi,

1) can I reply to an email from AA customer relations, or do I need to go back to the web form?

2) what is reasonable to expect from AA for a non functioning J seat? Paid J (D fare basis if that matters) JFK-LHR - seat recline completely INOP. No empty seats to relocate to. Cabin crew able to somewhat manually manipulate, however as the leg rest would not move, there was no chance of a flat bed.

Thank you.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by studio76
Hi,

1) can I reply to an email from AA customer relations, or do I need to go back to the web form?
Thank you.
Read the email you received. There should be a statement about the sending address not being able to receive replies. The other thing to look at is the return address, typically people use an address of NOREPLY@ or something similar to indicate a reply will not be delivered as desired.

If you use the web form, be sure to include the reference number since someone else may get the message and have no history of the previous discussion.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by studio76
Hi,

2) what is reasonable to expect from AA for a non functioning J seat? Paid J (D fare basis if that matters) JFK-LHR - seat recline completely INOP. No empty seats to relocate to. Cabin crew able to somewhat manually manipulate, however as the leg rest would not move, there was no chance of a flat bed.

Thank you.
Check the email some can be replied to and others require you filing out a new message. The email should say if you shouldn't reply to it using wording "this email address is unmonitored" or the like.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:25 pm

Need some advice...

Hey, FT, this is my first post and first time joining although I've read a decent amount of advice from this forum before. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who offers advice to help me out in my situation.

At a high level, here is my situation... My wife was in a bad car accident about 5 months ago, and has required continuous treatment in the US (we lived in Bermuda prior to this) for her Traumatic Brain Injury. Because of this, I've been traveling back to the US significantly more frequently in the past 3-4 months.

In each of my last 3 trips, American Airlines has cost me a full vacation day and a full day of time with my wife, each time in a different city, and each time due to their own mismanagement of the situation or inability to hold up their end of the contract made when a ticket is purchased.

The most recent occurrence was today, and it will end up costing me well in excess of $500 due to changing rental car reservations, meal costs, and hotel accommodations. Today's snafu is compounded by the fact that they are requiring us to stay in the airport for an additional 7 hours, with no A/C in the building, and they are not offering water, snacks, food, or anything at this point. If people require water, they must purchase it with no reimbursement from AA.

I'm at the end of my rope here with this being the full 3/3 for every trip I've taken on American being messed up and then immediately and horribly mismanaged (this time, American detained a large group of people for a number of hours without allowing them any food or water, and not allowing them to leave the airport even though they opted to remain another night and just fly out in the morning).

I would like full compensation for all additional costs from this trip and my other two (since I didn't end up getting compensation like I should have), and in addition to that would like American to make amends by treating me and my wife to a trip somewhere since they've cost us valuable time together that we may never get back, as well as the vacation days they've stolen from me.

Anyways, any help you are able to give is greatly appreciated - I look forward to your responses!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shoxwort
...I would like full compensation for all additional costs from this trip and my other two (since I didn't end up getting compensation like I should have), and in addition to that would like American to make amends by treating me and my wife to a trip somewhere since they've cost us valuable time together that we may never get back, as well as the vacation days they've stolen from me.
There isn't the -slightest- possibility of those things happening.

You can and should write in after any trip where there are serious screw-ups and ask for compensation. And,for the most recent set of circumstances (which sound awful,) you should push as hard as you can for some kind of compensation.

But looking for a catch-up/make-up omnibus compensation-response as you detail isn't in the realm of possibility.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:07 pm

I would like full compensation for all additional costs from this trip and my other two (since I didn't end up getting compensation like I should have), and in addition to that would like American to make amends by treating me and my wife to a trip somewhere since they've cost us valuable time together that we may never get back, as well as the vacation days they've stolen from me.
The one thing you've omitted here is "why" your flights were delayed. Could any of these incidents been air traffic control/weather related? If so, AA's conditions of carriage only require they get you out on the next available AA flight with seats. They have very limited liability in those circumstances.

If the delays were caused by mechanical issue/crew shortages, a complaint after each incident would likely result in some AA miles, but it would be rare for AA to compensate for lost hotel nights or lost wages/work days, let alone free trips. It's just how travel is these days.

Don't quite understand why you're currently stuck in an airport terminal for 7 hours. Is it a customs issue, that they won't let you exit once you've entered the secure area? What's the reason for delay here? AA doesn't normally distribute food to passengers, though I did have a regional partner distribute sandwiches at LAX last year on a multi-hour delay to Sacramento, something that took me by surprise.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:22 pm

The most recent occurrence was today, and it will end up costing me well in excess of $500 due to changing rental car reservations, meal costs, and hotel accommodations. Today's snafu is compounded by the fact that they are requiring us to stay in the airport for an additional 7 hours, with no A/C in the building, and they are not offering water, snacks, food, or anything at this point. If people require water, they must purchase it with no reimbursement from AA.

I'm at the end of my rope here with this being the full 3/3 for every trip I've taken on American being messed up and then immediately and horribly mismanaged (this time, American detained a large group of people for a number of hours without allowing them any food or water, and not allowing them to leave the airport even though they opted to remain another night and just fly out in the morning).

The specific details of each trip really would determine any sort of assistance that's due - for example, are these domestic trips (in which AA's contract of carriage pretty much says they don't owe people anything) vs international trips (that are subject to international general rules which are a little more in the passengers favor), but likewise even in that case, hotel accommodations if the delay happens in the city you reside in are not due.

At most, generally some consideration from AA for food and beverage at the airport during the delay is what a realistic expectation by way of vouchers, but to retroactively try to get some sort of financial restitution on past flights will most likely result in a form letter saying something along the lines of "so sorry, no." With that said, the only thing I'd expect from them at this stage after the fact if I were approaching them might be a minimal amount of miles credited to your account as a gesture of goodwill in their eyes.

Do keep in mind that AA's contract of carriage very clearly states they "are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment," and as such, complaining to them about lost vacation days, other 3rd party costs, and particularly expecting they give you a free trip somewhere would probably be met with even less of a helpful disposition.

My personal advice for what it's worth if you opt to send a complaint, is to keep it short and concise - definitely leave out the request for a pair of free tickets - without too much emotion/anger, and expect very little if anything in terms of compensation... see it's value being that you've expressed your complaint but recognize that technically while you may have been inconvenienced more than once, the airlines actually "owe" very little in terms of compensation except in very specific situations.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:43 pm

I'd also suggest you look at the credit card you're charging these trips to and see if they provide any type of travel insurance that might cover things like cancelled hotels or airport meals due to delays. I know one of my cards offers significant benefits after 6 hours, including meals and hotel benefits.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pmanchuk
...definitely leave out the request for a pair of free tickets -
God yes.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts regarding account closure / suspension have been moved to

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...arter-etc.html

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.