Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM
putting AA partner award tickets on hold (non-codeshare)

Is it possible to put an award ticket (in this case, completely on CX) on hold with AA? If so, are there certain restrictions?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Steven6702
Is there any AB showing up on Qantas? That would be a shame if they are restricting it more heavily. I found 2x AB JFK-TXL awards in U on AA about 3 weeks ago and flew it last week with no problem...massage/vibration in the seats! I hope they open that back up.
Tried Qantas a couple of weeks ago and had same problems. But I was just messing around with IBs website... And lo and behold I found AB award tickets. Matched up with the AB site. So I have no clue why it doesnt work on the others. When calling agents for AA they didnt find the space.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yes you can do this. I have put seats on CX on a 5 day hold.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ZKrunk
Is it possible to put an award ticket (in this case, completely on CX) on hold with AA? If so, are there certain restrictions?
Five day holds are common.

Booking awards as AA codeshares is generally not possible.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Date of travel has to be a certain number of days away (10? 9? Forgot) to get the 5-day hold
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:13 pm

AA refusing to reprotect after schedule change

F class award booked for two people:

YVR-LAX AS
LAX-SFO AA
SFO-HND JL
HND-HKG CX
HKG-DPS CX

Now, AS cancelled YVR-LAX flight, and automatically rebooked us YVR-SEA-LAX. There is a direct flight YVR-LAX on AA, at about the same time as the original YVR-LAX AS flight. This AA flight has one award seat, and we need two. I called AA, but they refused to open up the second seat saying that's AS who caused the schedule change, and they are not allowed to reprotect on AA. I called the second time, got a different agent, and exactly the same reply again.

So I am now stuck with an extra connection and Y prop flight YVR-SEA. Am I doing something wrong? I thought AA should open award space in case of schedule change?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by echino
F class award booked for two people:

YVR-LAX AS
LAX-SFO AA
SFO-HND JL
HND-HKG CX
HKG-DPS CX

Now, AS cancelled YVR-LAX flight, and automatically rebooked us YVR-SEA-LAX. There is a direct flight YVR-LAX on AA, at about the same time as the original YVR-LAX AS flight. This AA flight has one award seat, and we need two. I called AA, but they refused to open up the second seat saying that's AS who caused the schedule change, and they are not allowed to reprotect on AA. I called the second time, got a different agent, and exactly the same reply again.

So I am now stuck with an extra connection and Y prop flight YVR-SEA. Am I doing something wrong? I thought AA should open award space in case of schedule change?
Can you do YVR-SEA-SFO? I don't believe AA has an obligation to open award space, especially in this case since AS is the carrier that had the schedule change. I am not sure if there is an Alaska liaison, like there is with other Oneworld partners, but if there is, you could see if the liaison can open up space on Alaska to get you to SFO without the extra connection in LA.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I don't believe that it should make much difference since in either case you are switching governing carriers. If it were me and I absolutely wanted CX on the overwater segment without being willing to pay the new prices, I would lock it in before 3/22 (even if dates are not ideal). I would not count on being able to make major routing changes without a reprice after 3/22.
As I'm sure you know, that's easier said than done. 2x CX F awards about 5 months out will be hard. I have alerts on all the routes set with award nexus. I may try and move the trip up to March so I don't have to worry about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.