Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

AA site shows 137 on 9/6 and 138 on 9/8 SWU available, but agent said no. Is the AA site not accurate at all? I'm looking at the actual segment only too, DFW-HKG.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
AA site shows 137 on 9/6 and 138 on 9/8 SWU available, but agent said no. Is the AA site not accurate at all? I'm looking at the actual segment only too, DFW-HKG.
Agent is correct. AA.com probably showing SWU from J to F.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Your upgrade chances (in my opinion) are much greater on the outbound DFW-HKG (AA137) flight than on the inbound HKG-DFW flight.

HKG-DFW has been oversold a good number of days in the past month, while DFW-HKG has gone out with as many as 200 open seats from the random days i looked at.

F has usually been full, but ive seen as many as 16 J seats open on 137.
Thanks! My only uncleared upgrade on ~12 DFW-HKG segments (or return) over next year is on a Jan 2 DFW-HKG. Hopefully it'll stay true to that pattern and I'll clear upgrade on it. That'd be a long time in MCE that I would not be looking forward to.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Thanks! My only uncleared upgrade on ~12 DFW-HKG segments (or return) over next year is on a Jan 2 DFW-HKG. Hopefully it'll stay true to that pattern and I'll clear upgrade on it. That'd be a long time in MCE that I would not be looking forward to.
You've had 11 DFW/HKG segments for the next year clear already? That's pretty impressive. What months are your flights?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
Agent is correct. AA.com probably showing SWU from J to F.
Thanks, didn't even think of that!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec., SPG Gold, AmEx Plat
You've had 11 DFW/HKG segments for the next year clear already? That's pretty impressive. What months are your flights?
I'll chime in, just to give you an additional point of reference:

I have four DFW-HKG R/Ts (eight total segments) booked between September and December this year. I'll be flying once a month, roughly mid-month, always on a Thursday outbound and Tuesday return.

I booked the flights at the same time during a sale in late January, and called to apply all eight of my SWUs the next day. Five cleared instantly, one cleared three months ago, and two remain waitlisted.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by LondonIce
I'll chime in, just to give you an additional point of reference:

I have four DFW-HKG R/Ts (eight total segments) booked between September and December this year. I'll be flying once a month, roughly mid-month, always on a Thursday outbound and Tuesday return.

I booked the flights at the same time during a sale in late January, and called to apply all eight of my SWUs the next day. Five cleared instantly, one cleared three months ago, and two remain waitlisted.
Interesting, thanks. WL about a month ago for DFW-HKG on a Thurs in Oct and return on a Monday.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I ticketed DFW-HKG-DFW at the end of January, during the sale.

Friday outbound and Monday return.

Outbound cleared at booking and the return continues to be waitlisted.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I'm flying out on the 15th, back on the 20th. I bought the ticket on the 8th. Cleared instantly for the outbound on the 15th, waitlisted for the 20th.

(Interestingly, the web site had been showing the opposite availability, but I bet as other have suggested the availability it was showing on the 20th was for J-to-F.)
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:57 am

Sept/Oct/Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr. All booked within about 6 weeks of them coming available online and being really flexible with my dates to find C availability at time of booking.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I ticketed DFW-HKG-DFW at the end of January, during the sale.

Friday outbound and Monday return.

Outbound cleared at booking and the return continues to be waitlisted.
did it show SWU online or with agent over the phone only?

Last edited by frudd38; Jul 14, 2014 at 12:39 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:40 pm

did you clear instantly online or with agent over the phone?
Since you can't apply SWUs for INTL online, I read the post as saying that after booking (or holding) the reservation that they then called and the agent cleared them immediately for outbound and waitlisted the return
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Since you can't apply SWUs for INTL online, I read the post as saying that after booking (or holding) the reservation that they then called and the agent cleared them immediately for outbound and waitlisted the return
Sorry I meant if it showed as SWU available online. Surprised since I couldn't find any and wondering how accurate the AA site is in showing that.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:10 pm

Sorry I meant if it showed as SWU available online. Surprised since I couldn't find any and wondering how accurate the AA site is in showing that.
Ahh, I misunderstood your question.

Speaking just for myself, after doing ITA Matrix searches to find the best fare dates I cross referenced with ExpertFlyer queries for C space and then booked. I don't recall any of the itineraries showing SWU available at aa.com for the flights though when I did go to aa.com to book them. And, to make things even tougher, there was one leg where aa.com and EF show C0 or no SWUs but I put it on hold and called in to check and the agent immediately cleared me in to J.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
I'm flying out on the 15th, back on the 20th. I bought the ticket on the 8th. Cleared instantly for the outbound on the 15th, waitlisted for the 20th.

(Interestingly, the web site had been showing the opposite availability, but I bet as other have suggested the availability it was showing on the 20th was for J-to-F.)
Whoops, I actually meant to ask nkedel if " it show SWU online or with agent over the phone only?" since his was recent. I guess one week out is a good shot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.