Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by chrisk84
I've spoken to several people over the past few months that in order for this upgrade to clear, both segments have to have upgrade space (its all or nothing).
I'm not sure what "people" you've been talking to but that is completely wrong, unless something has changed recently.. Put the SWU for DFW-HKG only first (which EP agents do anyways) and any other domestic upgrades can be used with the same SWU if DFW-HKG clears, pending space. Unless of course the domestic segment clears on its own first with the free upgrade

I have noticed however the drop in quality with EP agents since the merger. One of the recent ones not even knowing how to piece together a 2 segment partner award on CX lol.. "this is more complicated that I'm used to, I'll need to find an international EP agent to do this for you"
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by frudd38
I'm not sure what "people" you've been talking to but that is completely wrong, unless something has changed recently.. Put the SWU for DFW-HKG only first (which EP agents do anyways) and any other domestic upgrades can be used with the same SWU if DFW-HKG clears, pending space. Unless of course the domestic segment clears on its own first with the free upgrade
Is that the case, though, if both the domestic and international segments have the same flight number? I had a flight last year, probably to Madrid, where both segments had the same flight number and agents would not clear me. The international segment had initial availability but the domestic segment did not. Sometime before departure I did clear, but do recall at least two conversations with agents who were insistent that both segments needed to have availability when the flight number was the same and there was a special rule for that scenario.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Is that the case, though, if both the domestic and international segments have the same flight number? I had a flight last year, probably to Madrid, where both segments had the same flight number and agents would not clear me. The international segment had initial availability but the domestic segment did not. Sometime before departure I did clear, but do recall at least two conversations with agents who were insistent that both segments needed to have availability when the flight number was the same and there was a special rule for that scenario.
FWIW - that is how the UA system handles it (or did when I flew them)... all segments of same flight number must clear or none clear. I would do strange routings or longer layovers to break up the flight numbers.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Interesting, I missed the same flight number part.. That really sucks then in this case..
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by frudd38
Interesting, I missed the same flight number part.. That really sucks then in this case..
Yeah, for some reason DCA gets the "through" flights to both NRT and HKG. I always book a little extra time in DFW to separate the flight numbers, since the same-numbered flights have somewhat short connections anyway.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I've spoken to several people over the past few months that in order for this upgrade to clear, both segments have to have upgrade space (its all or nothing).
Not true for me as this week my international segments cleared while my domestic segment did not.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by omegadeal
Not true for me as this week my international segments cleared while my domestic segment did not.
I have found it fairly common over the last few years that the international segments clear more readily than domestic.

You can often mitigate this when booking by choosing domestic flights that are not nearly full in F already.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
LAA 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Somebody was waiting for Thursday C inventory. It's c6 now.

Expanded
AA 137 DFW 11:45a → HKG 6:35p
J7 U0 C6
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by tonykline1947
Somebody was waiting for Thursday C inventory. It's c6 now.

Expanded
AA 137 DFW 11:45a → HKG 6:35p
J7 U0 C6
Thanks for posting. HUCA enough times and finally got someone this morning with some understanding of how the thru flight was not going to work in getting me cleared via waitlist. She acknowledged that my status/timestamp qualified for one of the 9 unsold seats in J. She worked with Revenue to put me in C manually on both legs. My only purpose for that call was to get on the 5:40AM DCA-DFW flight which she couldn't because of the DCA-HKG showing up as one segment. She volunteered to go the extra mile to manually force the C fare with Rev Dept, when 12 other EXP agents (supposedly all supervisors) said that was not possible and has never been done. I was on hold for 5 minutes and had First/business seats for both. Super psyched!

Two lessons:
1. DON'T EVER PURCHASE A THRU-TICKET.
2. Hang up and call again worked finally (after the 14th time).

I also find that the overnight EXP desk is much more helpful in just about any request, Many times I've been unsuccessful in getting what I need done during the day, but call in the middle of the night and changes are relatively effortless.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:20 am

Thanks for posting. HUCA enough times and finally got someone this morning with some understanding of how the thru flight was not going to work in getting me cleared via waitlist. She acknowledged that my status/timestamp qualified for one of the 9 unsold seats in J. She worked with Revenue to put me in C manually on both legs. My only purpose for that call was to get on the 5:40AM DCA-DFW flight which she couldn't because of the DCA-HKG showing up as one segment. She volunteered to go the extra mile to manually force the C fare with Rev Dept, when 12 other EXP agents (supposedly all supervisors) said that was not possible and has never been done. I was on hold for 5 minutes and had First/business seats for both. Super psyched!

Two lessons:
1. DON'T EVER PURCHASE A THRU-TICKET.
2. Hang up and call again worked finally (after the 14th time).

I also find that the overnight EXP desk is much more helpful in just about any request, Many times I've been unsuccessful in getting what I need done during the day, but call in the middle of the night and changes are relatively effortless.
Glad it worked out and will definitely watch out for lesson #1 now..
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
I live in Bangkok half the year. My last 2 trips back to the US, Hkg -Dfw looked full and doubted upgrades would happened. With time difference I've had to deal with middle of the night agents. Best service I have received in awhile. Changed flights thru Nrt. J cleared.
Only problem dealing night is revenue management is short on people and takes them time to ticket. I just tell them I'm 12 hours ahead and they push it.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Emerald; IHG S, SPG P, HH D, HGP D, Accor P, Carlson G
Originally Posted by paullgo
I live in Bangkok half the year. My last 2 trips back to the US, Hkg -Dfw looked full and doubted upgrades would happened. With time difference I've had to deal with middle of the night agents. Best service I have received in awhile. Changed flights thru Nrt. J cleared.
Only problem dealing night is revenue management is short on people and takes them time to ticket. I just tell them I'm 12 hours ahead and they push it.
How far in advance did you call to re-route through NRT? Any change fees and/or fare difference?

On 138 next week, right now still looking hopeful. I might wait till T-24 and see...
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Good to know that that night agents are able/willing to go the extra mile.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
2 months ago I saw C show up 48 hours before flight to Lax. Last month I did the same 24 hours in advance. They charged $250 change fee, but I had enough value in ticket that it was only $50 more for fare difference. So for $300 I got J to Lax and F to Fll.
One big issue. I am in Bangkok, so need seats to be available on JL to Nrt. That flight is quite often sold out. I've been lucky so far. I come back again just before Christmas. 138 full in J now and JL full to Nrt. I'm thinking I will be in Y for first time after 12 trips.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Emerald; IHG S, SPG P, HH D, HGP D, Accor P, Carlson G
Originally Posted by paullgo
2 months ago I saw C show up 48 hours before flight to Lax. Last month I did the same 24 hours in advance. They charged $250 change fee, but I had enough value in ticket that it was only $50 more for fare difference. So for $300 I got J to Lax and F to Fll.
One big issue. I am in Bangkok, so need seats to be available on JL to Nrt. That flight is quite often sold out. I've been lucky so far. I come back again just before Christmas. 138 full in J now and JL full to Nrt. I'm thinking I will be in Y for first time after 12 trips.
Would CX be an option for you? Then it could be BKK-HKG-PVG/PEK/NRT-US gateway-your final destination. BKK-NRT is a loooong flight, so J would definitely be worth it over Y. In your case the most direct routing would be BKK-HKG-PVG-LAX-FLL. BKK-HKG-PVG are both short flights with excellent frequency and J availability, and PVG-LAX is on AA 788 with excellent upgrade odds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.