Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:56 am

Upgraded to Silver on December 12, at which point I already had $40K in spend during the status qualification period. Three days later, on December 15, the 10K LP bonus posted to my account.

I'm within striking distance of the final 5K LP bonus for $50K in spend. Having already qualified for EXP last week, I'm interested in having these 5K LPs post to my account on/after March 1, i.e., count for purposes of the 2023-24 status qualification period. If I time this up right and eclipse $50K in spend at the very end of February, any thoughts on whether this would work? Or would the 5K LPs post retroactive to February, and count toward the current status qualification period? On my read of the T&Cs, they don't provide an explicit answer to this one...
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by la2clt
Historically, the credits kick in a few days after posting. After a few weeks, I called, and they said AA changed “providers”…not sure if it’s their merchant provider because Panasonic has been around a while…said that they were aware of this issue and I would get my credit before the end of February.

Anyone else aware of this?
Yes, this exact issue happened to me. I kept getting inconsistent answers, and the expected resolution time kept shifting. Eventually after over 2 months and multiple calls and chats with customer service someone over the phone issued a courtesy credit. I closed the card in part due to the hassle of exercising this card's benefits.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by UncleLeo
...I'm interested in having these 5K LPs post to my account on/after March 1, i.e., count for purposes of the 2023-24 status qualification period. If I time this up right and eclipse $50K in spend at the very end of February, any thoughts on whether this would work? Or would the 5K LPs post retroactive to February, and count toward the current status qualification period? On my read of the T&Cs, they don't provide an explicit answer to this one...
The $20K/$40K/$50K spend milestones are all within a qualification year. If you hit one in February, the 5,000LP will likely post on the 10th of March. But, they will likely qualify for the 2022 qualification year. Let us know how it goes.
UncleLeo likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:14 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UncleLeo
Upgraded to Silver on December 12, at which point I already had $40K in spend during the status qualification period. Three days later, on December 15, the 10K LP bonus posted to my account.

I'm within striking distance of the final 5K LP bonus for $50K in spend. Having already qualified for EXP last week, I'm interested in having these 5K LPs post to my account on/after March 1, i.e., count for purposes of the 2023-24 status qualification period. If I time this up right and eclipse $50K in spend at the very end of February, any thoughts on whether this would work? Or would the 5K LPs post retroactive to February, and count toward the current status qualification period? On my read of the T&Cs, they don't provide an explicit answer to this one...
Based on my recent experience the LP bonuses post very quickly, I earned one with postings to my account on December 15th and the LP bonus posted with a transaction date of December 16th. You'd really have to push to try and have the transactions posted on the 28th, and then you're cutting it really close. At least the 5k extra LP will help you that tiny little bit on upgrade priority.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by la2clt
Anyone else aware of this?
I'm still waiting to receive the credits for my November Viasat WiFi purchases.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks for sharing your data points. I applied for the Aviator Business Card and got a "review status" on the auto-decision. My LLC is a sole proprietorship and still very new (began operations 19 months ago), so I assume they pulled my personal credit (740 to 760 scores on the big 3 credit bureaus, but limited credit history). I still havent heard back from Barclays, my original application was submitted online on Feb 5th - so 3 days ago.

Would appreciate any tips/experiences others have had with speaking with someone at Barclays. Should the application end up being rejected - does Barclays have a reconsideration process that I should look into...?

Thanks again !!
Sorry for late reply. In my case Barclay just asked the same questions I'd already answered on the application (i.e. yearly REV, biz type, etc.) and nothing new. I just repeated the same answers I'd put on the application. I've had a lot of cards the past decade, credit generally +/-820 depending on who you ask, although I'm not sure that has much to do with it once you reach a certain threshold.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:17 am

Quick question on AA miles posting, bonus language is such "Earn 60,000 bonus AAdvantage® Miles after your first purchase, less credits, returns, and adjustments, “Net Purchase” and paying the annual fee in full, both within the first 90 days after account open date." Trying to get them to post ASAP.

I've made first purchase, and guessing the AF won't get posted until first statement closes...so assuming I pay in full after receiving statement will bonus miles not post until after they close the second statement? Is that the mechanics?

If so, I'm wondering if there's a work around such as just making a payment for the balance + annual fee now before the statement closes.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dgilligan02
Quick question on AA miles posting, bonus language is such "Earn 60,000 bonus AAdvantage® Miles after your first purchase, less credits, returns, and adjustments, “Net Purchase” and paying the annual fee in full, both within the first 90 days after account open date." Trying to get them to post ASAP.

I've made first purchase, and guessing the AF won't get posted until first statement closes...so assuming I pay in full after receiving statement will bonus miles not post until after they close the second statement? Is that the mechanics?

If so, I'm wondering if there's a work around such as just making a payment for the balance + annual fee now before the statement closes.
If you applied via this webpage

https://www.applyaviator.com/

then your annual fee for the first year is $0.

​​​​​​
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you applied via this webpage

https://www.applyaviator.com/

then your annual fee for the first year is $0.

​​​​​​
Yeah, I effed up on that one and applied via this webpage. Thanks for the reminder, haha.

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/bank...te-mastercard/
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Are LPs earned on balance transfers?

The current Aviator Red offer includes the possibility of balance transfers onto the card, at a rate of 0% for 15 billing cycles. Notwithstanding the hefty balance transfer fee (5%) this is potentially appealing to me because I have a balance (also at 0%) on a different card that I would prefer to close. My question is, does a balance transfer earn LPs in the same way regular credit card spend would? I can't find this addressed in the Barclay's ads (though I'm sure it is buried somewhere in the t&c) or in the thread above.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
The current Aviator Red offer includes the possibility of balance transfers onto the card, at a rate of 0% for 15 billing cycles. Notwithstanding the hefty balance transfer fee (5%) this is potentially appealing to me because I have a balance (also at 0%) on a different card that I would prefer to close. My question is, does a balance transfer earn LPs in the same way regular credit card spend would? I can't find this addressed in the Barclay's ads (though I'm sure it is buried somewhere in the t&c) or in the thread above.
No. You don't even earn redeemable miles for balance transfers.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
No. You don't even earn redeemable miles for balance transfers.
Got it. Thanks for the quick and informative reply!
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by dgilligan02
Yeah, I effed up on that one and applied via this webpage. Thanks for the reminder, haha.

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/bank...te-mastercard/
If you’ve only just received the card, you could try calling the customer service number on the back of the card, explain to the CSR that you’d intended to apply for it via the “first year free” link (which is still a current promotion), and ask that the fee be waived. I’d say pretty good chance of this happening. Or they might tell you to call back after the first statement prints to get it reversed.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 8:19 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I'm a few hundred dollars short of the $20,000 milestone on AAviator Silver. If I reach the milestone on the last possible day, Feb. 28th, presumably the 5000 bonus Loyalty Points will post in March. Will they count toward 2022-23 re-qualification, or 2023-24?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by A CT Yankee
If you’ve only just received the card, you could try calling the customer service number on the back of the card, explain to the CSR that you’d intended to apply for it via the “first year free” link (which is still a current promotion), and ask that the fee be waived. I’d say pretty good chance of this happening. Or they might tell you to call back after the first statement prints to get it reversed.
First purchase on Aviator Red posted on Feb 13. First statement was cut Feb 19...but without charging the annual fee. Also no bonus miles (as expected), as part 2 of the SUB was paying annual fee. Doesn't the AF using hit on first statement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.