Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesnt apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. Theres no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though its theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond ones control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"As for rebooking, its just not possible. We had decided on these 2 weeks many months ago and just cant arrange the additional time off later in the year. I doubt that there would be availability in F (award saver) even if we could .though."

Of course it's possible. You might or might not be able to actually make the trip in the future (maybe you'll both lose your jobs, maybe one of you will win the lottery), but you can certainly re-book now (if you can find F award space), and hope that future circumstances will allow you to re-deposit the miles for free.
I understand thanks. I know we cant make the trip in the next 6 months so i thought best to restock. Thanks for the advice though.

I guess i just felt naively that due to the circumstances the fee would be waived.

My son was flying to meet us from Sydney with Qantas and they offered all passengers free cancelation or changes.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by barnetda
I am not being flippant in any way but you are aware of whats happened in Bangkok ?

I can assure you the decision was not taken lightly to cancel but i just couldnt put my family at risk .
It is still purely a personal decision not to travel

Do you have any travel insurance that might cover the situation
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I know we cant make the trip in the next 6 months so i thought best to restock."

If you restock now, it will definitely cost you $300 now. If you rebook now, it might or might not cost you $300 to restock in the future.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is still purely a personal decision not to travel

Do you have any travel insurance that might cover the situation
Fair enough. No i didnt take out insurance .
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

"I know we cant make the trip in the next 6 months so i thought best to restock."

If you restock now, it will definitely cost you $300 now. If you rebook now, it might or might not cost you $300 to restock in the future.

Fully understood . I appreciate the heads up.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I understand thanks. I know we cant make the trip in the next 6 months so i thought best to restock. Thanks for the advice though.

I guess i just felt naively that due to the circumstances the fee would be waived.

My son was flying to meet us from Sydney with Qantas and they offered all passengers free cancelation or changes.
There was a bombing with an IED in a rucksack in Bangkok (and a smaller one at a pier). There were two explosions caused by IEDs in Boston. Etc. etc. we make our choices about actual and perceived risk.

AA declined to put a policy up allowing passengers to cancel travel to BKK. Or to BOS, possibly, or others. In view of that, you choose to cancel.

If you'd moved your bookings out, you potentially might have made the flights. Or, a schedule change in the interim might have allowed you to cancel without paying a redeposit fee.

As to whether or not you should pay the fee, would you be able to acquire a similar number of miles for anything remotely close to $150? If you've made the decision to cancel, that's the relevant question.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:41 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I argued that with 23 govts issuing advisories plus all of the Asian airlines including Qantas waiving all fees for changes and cancellations in and out of Bangkok that the fee should be waived.
If this is correct than I can absolutely see where the OP is coming from. As for AA, as they don't have operations into Bkk, I can see why they wouldn't have a similar policy but also can see why the OP asked.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by abk
If this is correct than I can absolutely see where the OP is coming from. As for AA, as they don't have operations into Bkk, I can see why they wouldn't have a similar policy but also can see why the OP asked.
There is a difference between asking and expecting The person did ask but seems to have had an expectation that the fee would be waived. When people choose to self insure , then they should expect that they will be hit by costs associated with them. Some people do choose to take out insurance for travel and this may be a situation where it would cover them

If a person chooses not to take coverage, why should that person expect the airline to take the risk?

The flight is still operating and there is nothing to stop the passenger travelling other than his own wishes.$150 is a fairly cheap cancellation penalty
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by abk
23 Govts raised their travel warnings including USA and Uk . UK went to level 3 USA went to level 2 . In fact HK went to level 4 which is "essential travel only.

Qantas , Singapore Airlines , and the Asian airlines all brought in a policy to waive all fees. In fact we were due to meet my son there who was flying from SYD to BKK with QF and he wasnt charged to cancel a fare based ticket.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
There was a bombing with an IED in a rucksack in Bangkok (and a smaller one at a pier). There were two explosions caused by IEDs in Boston. Etc. etc. we make our choices about actual and perceived risk.

AA declined to put a policy up allowing passengers to cancel travel to BKK. Or to BOS, possibly, or others. In view of that, you choose to cancel.

If you'd moved your bookings out, you potentially might have made the flights. Or, a schedule change in the interim might have allowed you to cancel without paying a redeposit fee.

As to whether or not you should pay the fee, would you be able to acquire a similar number of miles for anything remotely close to $150? If you've made the decision to cancel, that's the relevant question.
Yes it was a rucksack bombing and it killed 24 , all tourists. The location was next door to the hotel i was due to stay at.

In fact AA and the other airlines DID bring in a waive fee cancel after the bombing in Boston .

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/16/al...s-at-marathon/
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is a difference between asking and expecting The person did ask but seems to have had an expectation that the fee would be waived. When people choose to self insure , then they should expect that they will be hit by costs associated with them. Some people do choose to take out insurance for travel and this may be a situation where it would cover them

If a person chooses not to take coverage, why should that person expect the airline to take the risk?

The flight is still operating and there is nothing to stop the passenger travelling other than his own wishes.$150 is a fairly cheap cancellation penalty
All fair points but i think the issue is this .

If i had chosen to cancel due to bad weather or i was sick then I understand the policy and should have taken insurance.

In this instance there was a bomb (plus a 2nd one that by a miracle missed intend tourists ) that killed 24 people. The location was in a tourist area in the grounds of the hotel that i stay in.

When the Boston bombings tragically occurred , AA and other airlines introduced a waive cancellation policy .

How is this different ?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:17 am

In addition :

Cathay Pacific who were flying the last segment HK to BKK (return) as part of the AA ticket are offering FULL refunds on flights until Mid October ., and the HK govt is advising "essential travel only ".

Last edited by barnetda; Aug 21, 2015 at 6:22 am
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Your argument is not with us, but rather with AA, who hasn't issued the waver. We can not do anything to force AA to issue a waiver, but we can give you advise on how to proceed and what to do for future travel. At this point the options are to postpone travel to future date in hopes that a change occurs thus allowing you to cancel trip for full refund free of charge. Bite the bullet pay the fee and move on. If option to bite the bullet, you might ask AA to see if they can reconsider the fee seeing that CX has issued waiver.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by arollins
Your argument is not with us, but rather with AA, who hasn't issued the waver. We can not do anything to force AA to issue a waiver, but we can give you advise on how to proceed and what to do for future travel. At this point the options are to postpone travel to future date in hopes that a change occurs thus allowing you to cancel trip for full refund free of charge. Bite the bullet pay the fee and move on. If option to bite the bullet, you might ask AA to see if they can reconsider the fee seeing that CX has issued waiver.
I appreciate your comments.

To be honest I have tremendous respect for the posters on flyertalk. They are all seasoned travelers, and really all i am doing is trying to get unbiased replies to see whether my frustration is valid or not.

All of the replies have made excellent points , i also believe my case is valid assuming AA look at the facts .
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I appreciate your comments.

To be honest I have tremendous respect for the posters on flyertalk. They are all seasoned travelers, and really all i am doing is trying to get unbiased replies to see whether my frustration is valid or not.

All of the replies have made excellent points , i also believe my case is valid assuming AA look at the facts .
I think we understand your frustration and sympathize, but your recourse here is
1) appeal to a higher authority (Sean Bentel?) at AA by succinct snail mail, explaining you and your family were booked into the Grand Hyatt Erawan (co located with the Erawan shrine) and were unwilling to risk your family's well being - and that you feel AA should waive your redeposit fee (not restocking fee - use the terminology the airline staff uses) in this instance.

2) Act upon one of the choices that have been mentioned previously.

3) Let your frustration control your actions and do nothing, lose the miles and be left with a bad taste in your mouth.

My POV may be colored by my being a trained responder and surviving a terrorist bombing and some other close calls, but there you have it. You feel, I empathize, now what?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.