Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA miles on Emirates and other airlines via Qantas codeshare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
N. B. Earning AAdvantage miles flying on EY and other non-oneworld operated flights as a QANTAS codeshare / marketed flight is an exception to oneworld rules that essentially state that to earn miles one must fly a oneworld marketed flight operated by a oneworld airline. See post #4 for more.

Earn elite-qualifying AAdvantage miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas Airways codeshare flights. Exception for Jetstar operated flights which are ineligible. Link.

Simply:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route
  • Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

To reiterate: one may earn AAdvantage miles flying an Emirates (or Air Fiji, Air Tahiti Nui, etc.) operated flight if it is marketed by QANTAS / a Qantas codeshare.

Exceptions to the exception
Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any AAdvantage mile accrual or elite credit.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

I'm really struggling to find the answer to this, even in other posts- I hope someone can help!

On 21 Dec. I will be travelling on EK6 to LHR-DXB.
Then 22 Dec. EK725 to DXB-DAR.

Then 3 Jan. EK726 DAR-DXB and
4 Jan. EK5101 DXB-LHR (this flight operated by Qantas)

My question is, with the new Qantas/Emirates merger, where do I stand in terms of Aadvantage miles? I should be getting AA miles on DXB-LHR flight, as it's OneWorld operated flight, correct? But what about the other EK flights if they are marketed by Qantas? (But even so they were purchased through Emirates.) Does that do anything for me as an AAdvantage member? Do I need to get on Emirates or Qantas FF programs instead? Help-- thanks!!
Old May 28, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Earning AA miles on QF requires QF-marketed and QF-operated, or AA-marketed/QF-operated.

Earn miles when flying on Qantas Airways marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket. Miles are also earned on Qantas Airways codeshare flights. Exception: Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any AAdvantage mile accrual/elite credit.

All one needs is found in the aa.com earning miles pages.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...lines/main.jsp
Old May 28, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I had read that, but was confused by wording a bit. wasn't sure if that "and" meant had to be BOTH marketed and operated to count. Also don't know ins and outs of 'marketed'... thought it might not count if it was marketed by Qantas but still not purchased through them. (not using their code, but Emirates').

Also the DXB-DAR and DAR-DXB do not appear to be marketed by Qantas. Wondered if I was better off joining Emirates FF program for those legs? Or with new alliance with Qantas, should I join theirs instead and earn QF miles on those EK flights? Might be better to do that as down the line there'd be more opportunities to redeem with AA?
Old May 28, 2014, 8:55 am
Suspended

The chart on AA.com has not been updated yet, but it's been confirmed by AA; any QF #'d flight operated by EK -will- earn full AAdv miles-- including EQM and EQPs-- as long as it's booked under the QF flight number and the fare class qualifies per the AA QF earning chart.

This is -not- the case for all OneWorld partners, but it is the case for QF-- doesn't have to be operated by OneWorld as long as it's booked as a QF flight number.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 4, 2015 at 8:04 am Reason: add bolding and color for emphasis
Old May 28, 2014, 8:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by els83
Thank you. I had read that, but was confused by wording a bit. wasn't sure if that "and" meant had to be BOTH marketed and operated to count. Also don't know ins and outs of 'marketed'... thought it might not count if it was marketed by Qantas but still not purchased through them. (not using their code, but Emirates').

Also the DXB-DAR and DAR-DXB do not appear to be marketed by Qantas. Wondered if I was better off joining Emirates FF program for those legs? Or with new alliance with Qantas, should I join theirs instead and earn QF miles on those EK flights? Might be better to do that as down the line there'd be more opportunities to redeem with AA?
Be sure you check how useful another FFP, such as Qantas', really is before you join another FFP and dilute your benefits. (Ask yourself why some QF OFfs join AAdvantage instead of QFF, for instance.)

Now that you're in the correct forum, you may want to do some searching. I believe others have posted about QF marketed (flight is ticketed as QF) operated by EK (EK metal) and earning AAdvantage miles; there may be an exception to the oneworld operating requirement, but since I don't have a horse in this race, I can't say for sure.

Ah, while I'm writing, our resident mwalimu of things AA drops by and affirms that. ^

Perhaps purchasing your ticket via QF will result in all QF marketed flights?

Last edited by JDiver; May 28, 2014 at 9:03 am Reason: argh, i hate autocorrect
Old May 28, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks all- this is good info. I'm very lucky in that the flights were purchased for me already as a gift for Xmas and it appears they were done so through EK and not QF. Drat! But what a first world problem, eh? I'll still get that one DXB-LHR leg on my AA miles though.
Old May 28, 2014, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver
Now that you're in the correct forum, you may want to do some searching. I believe others have posted about QF marketed (flight is ticketed as QF) operated by EK (EK metal) and earning AAdvantage miles; there may be an exception to the oneworld operating requirement, but since I don't have a horse in this race, I can't say for sure.
There is no issue with earning miles when flying on an EK operated flight as long as booked on the Qantas codeshare

It is not an exception to an OW operating requirement, it is a case that no OW restriction has been applied in the eligible flights
Old May 28, 2014, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks all- this is good info. I'm very lucky in that the flights were purchased for me already as a gift for Xmas and it appears they were done so through EK and not QF. Drat! But what a first world problem, eh? I'll still get that one DXB-LHR leg on my AA miles though.
No. you are booked on EK5101 . Since you are booked on the Emirates flight number, it is not eligible for accruing miles to AA

You may want to look at how many miles would be earned and whether it would be worth the effort of opening an account and crediting elsewhere. If it is an economy saver fare, the earning would only be 5000 points r/t if credited to Emirates for example
Old May 29, 2014, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Oh I definitely got confused. For some reason I had stuck in my head that no matter what, if I flew on QF metal then I could accrue AA miles. Obviously this is not the case.

I think these are not economy saver fares. Will look into FFPs of EK and QF...considering going to Sydney next year so this is all quite relevant!
Old May 29, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no issue with earning miles when flying on an EK operated flight as long as booked on the Qantas codeshare

It is not an exception to an OW operating requirement, it is a case that no OW restriction has been applied in the eligible flights
O.K., thanks. It's an exception to the usual condition that says we can only earn AAdvantage miles on oneworld, non-AA codeshares operated by oneworld airlines. Better?
Old May 29, 2014, 10:00 am

Oh I definitely got confused. For some reason I had stuck in my head that no matter what, if I flew on QF metal then I could accrue AA miles. Obviously this is not the case.

I think these are not economy saver fares. Will look into FFPs of EK and QF...considering going to Sydney next year so this is all quite relevant!
You can accrue AAdvantage miles on other airlines as stated on this page (with links to each airline's earnings rate). Other than any omission such as QF flown on EK, of course).
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
QF marketed EK operated

Can anyone confirm if QF marketed EK operated flight will earn AA elite points/miles.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:02 am

Wrong, so deleted.

Last edited by jordyn; Aug 4, 2015 at 8:20 am Reason: Wrong
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:58 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jordyn
...and for those who search and find this thread first instead of one of the other ones, the answer is "no" because in most cases you only earn miles on codeshares if both the marketing and operating carriers are OneWorld partners (e.g., British Airways operated by Iberia). There's slightly different rules per oneworld carrier which you can see here, though.
Wouldn't that be yes?

Earn elite-qualifying AAdvantage miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas Airways codeshare flights
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.