Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

All things Employee & Buddy Pass (D3, D* passes etc.) (consolidated)

Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: As FlyerTalk is a frequent flyer (passenger) site, you won’t find much experience or knowledge about Employee or Buddy Passes here if our AA employee members are off flying or choose not to answer.

Your best information source on Employee and Buddy Passes is the airline, or in the case you were granted a Buddy Pass by an employee, your employee sponsor.

Where do you stack up against other non-revenue pass riders while flying standby on American Airlines flights? Find your group in the prioritized list below. Be sure to check in for your flight as early as possible, as priority within groups is determined by time of check in.

D1 – Eligible employees using allotted passes

D2 – American Airlines and wholly-owned employees and their parents when accompanied

D2R – Retirees

D2P – Parents traveling without employee

AAC* – Employees of non-wholly owned regionals and their companions

D3 – Buddy passes

ONE – oneworld employees

ZED – Other airline employees traveling on ZED tickets

*AAC – Non-wholly owned regional employees traveling on their “own metal” will be boarded first

Link to clearedlist.net
Print Wikipost

All things Employee & Buddy Pass (D3, D* passes etc.) (consolidated)

Old May 23, 2017, 12:15 pm

Oy, what to say? One of the biggest changes coming to "buddy" flying is that the fees associated with it will no longer be employee payroll deduct. Rather, the fees will be paid by credit card so the flying party, you, can pay by credit card. That will eliminate any worry that you're being overcharged by your family member.

As an aside, I was connecting in PHX last summer and came across a nice, older lady trying to return home to MSP with her husband on D3 passes. They had gotten to PHX easily enough a few days prior. The previous MSP flight had just closed out full and the gate agent was doing their best to help her find a way home but everything looked full for not just hours but days. She was a very nice lady, but totally clueless about what she had gotten herself into. Her husband needed a cane to walk around. The employee who offered the D3 passes did no favor whatsoever for this lady and her husband. I left her with a prayer to the patron saint of nonrevvers....
Old May 23, 2017, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by tfjim
Oy, what to say? One of the biggest changes coming to "buddy" flying is that the fees associated with it will no longer be employee payroll deduct. Rather, the fees will be paid by credit card so the flying party, you, can pay by credit card. That will eliminate any worry that you're being overcharged by your family member.

As an aside, I was connecting in PHX last summer and came across a nice, older lady trying to return home to MSP with her husband on D3 passes. They had gotten to PHX easily enough a few days prior. The previous MSP flight had just closed out full and the gate agent was doing their best to help her find a way home but everything looked full for not just hours but days. She was a very nice lady, but totally clueless about what she had gotten herself into. Her husband needed a cane to walk around. The employee who offered the D3 passes did no favor whatsoever for this lady and her husband. I left her with a prayer to the patron saint of nonrevvers....
Interesting....DL will soon be moving from CC charge to payroll deduction for buddy passes and companion travels.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
That is really sad that someone would try and dupe you like that. The charges for guest passes is based on distance. It is the exact same price going there as coming back. Now it does go by flight segment so connecting is more expensive etc. The only time a price going one way is not the same as coming back the exact way is international with taxes on arrival.

Also solely up to you, but if you feel that person deserves it, you could contact AA about them lying to you if that is on fact the case. The travel department would very likely consider that selling a pass, which is a big no-no. As in employees are not supposed to be profiting off giving up a pass like they would have been. Totally your call though on the circumstances but that employee was in fact wrong. I hope on their end it's merely a misunderstanding but regardles, kindly that person needs a lot of learning to do if they didn't know that.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
...Also solely up to you, but if you feel that person deserves it, you could contact AA about them lying to you if that is on fact the case. The travel department would very likely consider that selling a pass...
I'd respectfully-- and personally speaking, only, needless to say-- suggest that we just advise this guy to "drop it" instead. YMMV, big time, just my gut on the subject.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Interesting....DL will soon be moving from CC charge to payroll deduction for buddy passes and companion travels.
My only knowledge of DL's system is that the nonrev priority system is seniority based.

AA's is tiered and then based only on check in time.

AA eliminated service charges on nonrev travel for employees, immediate family and retirees leaving only taxes and airport fees to be paid. Parents and D3 still have mileage based fees plus the taxes.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Personally, I think D3 'buddy' passes are not worth it.
In the early 2000's I became a Continental Platinum, while an employee at an AA affiliate that provided D2 "employee" passes
The internet changed the value proposition of passes ... weekly 'internet fares' would put next wee'ks 'easy pass' flight on sale to the public.

The biggest cost with a D3 pass is the imputed income tax. The employee will have with holding on the imputed value. Fares have been on the rise for awhile now. With the service charge staying the same, this raises the imputed value thus the with holding. Many employees forget bout the tax when 'quoting the cost' for the pass then either have to eat the tax or ...as I suspect in your case... re-quote the cost to you. Perhaps a recent re-alignment on the with holding to reflect higher ticket prices was just done, and it reminded the employee offering you the pass that the tax had to be included in the cost.

And the employee "entering your flight info" into the computer months in advance is irrelevant. This is a "pass" and not a "ticket". There is no "fare" involved to be garunteed at ticketing. It is a "service charge" and the applicable charge is whatever is in effect on the day of the flight. The data that was entered was the "listing" and is simply (for weight-n-balance planning) that if there's an unsold seat, it's likely to be filled with a non-rev.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'd respectfully-- and personally speaking, only, needless to say-- suggest that we just advise this guy to "drop it" instead. YMMV, big time, just my gut on the subject.
Yeah I would go that route as well, especially since they could have simply been wrong or misunderstood. Just letting the poster know in case they really feel like they were trying to be ripped off. It would certainly bother me IF my own family member was trying to make a significant profit off me. No way for us to know for sure here though.

Last edited by SpinOn2; May 23, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by steve64
Personally, I think D3 'buddy' passes are not worth it.
In the early 2000's I became a Continental Platinum, while an employee at an AA affiliate that provided D2 "employee" passes
The internet changed the value proposition of passes ... weekly 'internet fares' would put next wee'ks 'easy pass' flight on sale to the public.

The biggest cost with a D3 pass is the imputed income tax. The employee will have with holding on the imputed value. Fares have been on the rise for awhile now. With the service charge staying the same, this raises the imputed value thus the with holding. Many employees forget bout the tax when 'quoting the cost' for the pass then either have to eat the tax or ...as I suspect in your case... re-quote the cost to you. Perhaps a recent re-alignment on the with holding to reflect higher ticket prices was just done, and it reminded the employee offering you the pass that the tax had to be included in the cost.

And the employee "entering your flight info" into the computer months in advance is irrelevant. This is a "pass" and not a "ticket". There is no "fare" involved to be garunteed at ticketing. It is a "service charge" and the applicable charge is whatever is in effect on the day of the flight. The data that was entered was the "listing" and is simply (for weight-n-balance planning) that if there's an unsold seat, it's likely to be filled with a non-rev.
There is no imputed income charge on a guest pass.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
There is no imputed income charge on a guest pass.
Actually, according to the Travel Planner in Jetnet, in addition to the service charges, taxes and fees, the OP's itinerary of ORD-DEN-ORD incurs an imputed income in the amount of $128.70.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by steve64
The biggest cost with a D3 pass is the imputed income tax. The employee will have with holding on the imputed value. Fares have been on the rise for awhile now. With the service charge staying the same, this raises the imputed value thus the with holding.
Someone else mentioned that DL would be going to an imputed income system for DL companions (buddy passes still are paying an actual "fare" so that doesn't get reported as income). SO basically DL and AA are "swapping" pass policies as it equates to charging a credit card versus dinging the employee for the imputed income, with one carrier adopting the other's policy and vice versa. Who is right? Or, more right?

I am sure fraud prevention has a big part to play in it. With regards to imputed income, if you have a companion on your benefits and they want to fly from New York to Singapore twice a month, at some point would the imputed income be enough to actually "bump" the employee into a higher tax bracket for the year? I guess its theoretically possible.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yes DL quoted that the move to imputed income (a la LAA) would help prevent misuse. Yes DL is seniority based (that's not even part of the discussion).
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: NW WP
With the new system, can airport employees still roll over a missed flight on a buddy pass to another flight? Or does it have to be done online?

(My D3 is from a retiree of more than 15 years who doesn't know the new system at all.)
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by gelaro
With the new system, can airport employees still roll over a missed flight on a buddy pass to another flight? Or does it have to be done online?

(My D3 is from a retiree of more than 15 years who doesn't know the new system at all.)
As long as they are in the gate area for the flight yes, they can be rolled. Normally the GA's will do it on their own anyhow, but I would suggest your D3 inquire about it to the GA after the door closes just to be certain. It is easy for the GA to do on their computer, and the only way to properly roll them over vs. re-listing, which is the only way to do it online.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: NW WP
Thanks. To clarify, I am the passenger. I got the pass from a USAirways retiree who doesn't know the new system. I have flown on buddy passes quite a bit over the years, but never on AA when there was a chance of missing a flight.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by gelaro
Thanks. To clarify, I am the passenger. I got the pass from a USAirways retiree who doesn't know the new system. I have flown on buddy passes quite a bit over the years, but never on AA when there was a chance of missing a flight.
Ah sorry yeah I misread that a bit. Yep, just as long as you are in the gate area in case you get called, they will roll you to the next one automatically. They rarely even check to see if you are there if they don't call you for a seat to be honest, but I would be just in case.

Also to note, you can change your flight to a different place as well if needed.

Example for you, let's say you are trying to go ORD-LAX but it's looking bad. Well you can ask the GA to transfer for you over to a different flt, say ORD-SNA or something like that. They transfer you so you keep your check-in time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.