Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

All things Employee & Buddy Pass (D3, D* passes etc.) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: As FlyerTalk is a frequent flyer (passenger) site, you won’t find much experience or knowledge about Employee or Buddy Passes here if our AA employee members are off flying or choose not to answer.

Your best information source on Employee and Buddy Passes is the airline, or in the case you were granted a Buddy Pass by an employee, your employee sponsor.

Where do you stack up against other non-revenue pass riders while flying standby on American Airlines flights? Find your group in the prioritized list below. Be sure to check in for your flight as early as possible, as priority within groups is determined by time of check in.

D1 – Eligible employees using allotted passes

D2 – American Airlines and wholly-owned employees and their parents when accompanied

D2R – Retirees

D2P – Parents traveling without employee

AAC* – Employees of non-wholly owned regionals and their companions

D3 – Buddy passes

ONE – oneworld employees

ZED – Other airline employees traveling on ZED tickets

*AAC – Non-wholly owned regional employees traveling on their “own metal” will be boarded first

Link to clearedlist.net
Print Wikipost

All things Employee & Buddy Pass (D3, D* passes etc.) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YtravelF
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
NO.
You are at the complete mercy of the airline when flying non-rev. Your status is irrelevant.
And unless you have a paid Admirals Club membership, your ticket won't get you in there either.
At least you got a good laugh out of it

Hey, a question sort of on this topic; I'm looking at a note that states that starting in 2016, AA non-revs will no longer have to pay an additional supplement to fly in premium cabins.

Am I reading that right? And, given the state of things at AA, any reason they'd do this at this particular juncture? Was it in exchange for a "give-back" somewhere else or whatever?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
At least you got a good laugh out of it

Hey, a question sort of on this topic; I'm looking at a note that states that starting in 2016, AA non-revs will no longer have to pay an additional supplement to fly in premium cabins.

Am I reading that right? And, given the state of things at AA, any reason they'd do this at this particular juncture? Was it in exchange for a "give-back" somewhere else or whatever?
JonNYC - that's correct starting in June, we received a letter about 2 weeks ago about the change. Stated reason was to ensure competitiveness of the program. To my knowledge nothing was given up, but I work at Piedmont so not in the "real" loop.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sagechan
JonNYC - that's correct starting in June, we received a letter about 2 weeks ago about the change. Stated reason was to ensure competitiveness of the program. To my knowledge nothing was given up, but I work at Piedmont so not in the "real" loop.
Thanks! Yeah, I was forwarded the letter and it seems pretty clear its a simple dropping of the premium fare charge, just didn't know if there was a cloudy exterior to that silver lining . Doesn't appear so, however.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by BStrauss3
Double down on WetRat's comment - YOUR actions as an ID90/D3 traveler of the hairy nuisance DYKWIA level can cause (at the extreme) the employee to lose pass privs.

Heck no on SWUs

Yes, you can use your PLAT status at TSA to use the elite line (or PreCheck if you have it AND it prints on the ticket - make sure your KT# is in the record)

If you have to interact at the counter I would not recommend using the premium lines if there are revenue pax (i.e. busy)
Apropos, one of my best friends is a Pilot for DELTA and we generally take a guys trip once or twice a year and in prior years I always bought my own ticket as I did not want to connect in either ATL or JFK when I could fly non-stop from DFW, so we always met up at the destination. This year due to travel planned with the wife, I did not have enough money in the travel bank to be able to buy a revenue ticket, so my buddy offered up a buddy pass.

He had explained a bunch of the rules to me ahead of time and honestly he nor I was sure about even using the Elite Line nor PreCheck though we agreed that probably was alright.

He had neglected to mention the requirement to dress in business casual attire and the night prior to departure I was called into the hospital as another one of the ER Docs called out sick. So I worked the night shift and went straight to the airport from the hospital in my scrubs.

The Gate Agent was really nice about the entire thing and said did you know that you were supposed to wear business casual when traveling on a non-rev ticket, to which I responded no, but that scrubs are my business attire as I am an ER Doc and I just came from the hospital after working the night shift as my buddy told me to get the airport early in hopes to get on any flight to ATL and then wait there rather than pull it too close.

She laughed and said no worries that your buddy gave you good advice about getting to ATL and then waiting there and that she really does not care about the dress code, but some people in ATL are more strict with the rules and I might want to change when I got there. In the end I emailed my buddy who admitted it had slipped his mind as he always wears his uniform and also forgot that I do not really wear business clothes as an ER Doc.

In the end he grabbed (more like had the wife pack as they were nicely folded ) some business casual clothes for me to change into and after a shower in the SkyClub (I am a member) I changed into the Business Casual Clothes and flew the flight to LIM and had a total blast.

But as others have said there are rules and depending on the employee they can be strictly enforced.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by kmersh
He had explained a bunch of the rules to me ahead of time and honestly he nor I was sure about even using the Elite Line nor PreCheck though we agreed that probably was alright.

<snip>

He had neglected to mention the requirement to dress in business casual attire...

<snip>

The Gate Agent was really nice about the entire thing and said did you know that you were supposed to wear business casual when traveling on a non-rev ticket...

<snip>
Since this thread is about American Airlines buddy passes, below are some of the the rules at American (from a travel confirmation email received earlier this year):

Do not use the premium lanes. You may use the Pre Check lines if TSA Pre✓ is printed on your priority verification card or boarding pass.
Use the self-service machines available at most airports to check your bags as well as to receive the Priority Verification Card (PVC) up to 24-hours prior to departure. A credit card is usually required for identification purposes only. If no self-service machines are available you may check in with an agent. First Class/Premium Check-In lanes are for revenue customers only. Your sponsoring employee may also check you in and email your boarding pass or PVC.

<snip>

Please enter the Main Cabin Check-In lanes if you need assistance. When checking in with an agent, please identify yourself as a non-revenue traveler.
Business casual attire is not required when traveling standby using a guest pass on American Airlines.
Dress Guidelines
------------------------------------------------------------

Before you leave home, please make sure you are aware of American Airlines/American Eagle dress guidelines. What are our dress guidelines? Attire for all cabins should be well groomed, neat, clean, and in good taste. Casual attire is appropriate, including jeans in premium class and shorts in the main cabin if you choose. If you are not sure if what you are wearing is permitted, it's better to wear something else.

Business casual or business professional attire is appropriate when traveling on company business.

The following items are not acceptable in ANY cabin:

• Torn, dirty, or frayed clothing
  • Clothing that is distracting or offensive to others, for example, clothing that is overly revealing (such as extreme mini-skirts, halter and bra-tops, sheer or see-through clothing), swimwear, or sleepwear
  • Clothing that is vulgar or violates community standards of decency is never appropriate, including items that have words, terms, or pictures that may be offensive to customers and other team members
  • Bare feet

The following items are not acceptable in FIRST or BUSINESS class:

• Shorts
  • Beach footwear (such as flip-flops and Croc-style shoes)
  • Jogging suits, athletic gear, baseball-style caps (of course, it is acceptable to change into a jogging suit or similar attire during long-haul international flights)
  • Any item in the Never Appropriate/Not Acceptable in Any Cabin list
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:11 am

Hi there - I'll be flying D3 on a buddy pass from PHX -> LAX, and from LAX -> SYD this Friday. Kind of nervous since I've never flown D3 before. I know it's not ideal, but I'll probably need to check a bag. How does that work when you fly D3?

If I make my PHX -> LAX flight, I'm assuming that I would gate check my bag in PHX? Would I get my bags back when I landed at LAX, or would they be pushed on through to SYD? And what if I don't make my LAX -> SYD flight? What happens to them then?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jeff0000
Hi there - I'll be flying D3 on a buddy pass from PHX -> LAX, and from LAX -> SYD this Friday. Kind of nervous since I've never flown D3 before. I know it's not ideal, but I'll probably need to check a bag. How does that work when you fly D3?

If I make my PHX -> LAX flight, I'm assuming that I would gate check my bag in PHX? Would I get my bags back when I landed at LAX, or would they be pushed on through to SYD? And what if I don't make my LAX -> SYD flight? What happens to them then?

They will accept your bag at the counter (remember to use Y-cabin line even if you're otherwise eligible for PriorityAAccess) and tag it stand-by. Your bag in all likelihood will get loaded to LAX. Any gate checking will be for your carry-on as a result of the agent having reason to believe the overhead bins are full. If you are asked to surrender your bag, you really shouldn't challenge the agent or show any disapproval as that is grounds to be written up and your sponsor will be notified.

You bags once you arrive in LAX will be transferred, but they will await confirmation that you have a seat assignment and will be loaded last. If you don't get confirmed to SYD, you will have the option to reclaim them at the BSO or have them redirected to another flight you may list for.

In all seriousness, questions such as this are best addressed with the employee providing you the pass. It's their employment on the line, and IME they would likely appreciate you deferring to them for such matter rather than anonymous online strangers.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
If you are asked to surrender your bag, you really shouldn't challenge the agent or show any disapproval as that is grounds to be written up and your sponsor will be notified.
To add to this, most AA staff I've spoken to have absolutely zero tolerance for any misbehavior by a D3 and will not hesitate to write such a report.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
To add to this, most AA staff I've spoken to have absolutely zero tolerance for any misbehavior by a D3 and will not hesitate to write such a report.
+1 to the max. That includes drinking too much. There's only one time I'll limit myself to one drink max, if any, while flying (outside of times when I'm driving after the flight), and that's when I'm going D3. Even if it's inferred intoxication, it is likely to get noted.

If you're nasty with a GA or similar, your buddy who gave you the pass may not be your buddy much longer. The person who gives me D3 passes had a intoxicated friend who got nasty over a gate-checked bag, and it almost cost them their privileges.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold

I really hope you are trying to get out of PHX early as possible, the flts are pretty packed tomorrow for PHX to LAX, and as unfortunate as it is, as a D3 you will get jumped by D2P, D2Pt, D2R, D2Rt, D2, D2t, D1, D1t, and even D3t (t stands for thru pax). It's feasible you could be there for the first PHX-LAX flt, miss it, and you will be behind any employees listed like the above for the flt you rolled onto.

I would be prepared to drive to LAX from PHX honestly in case. You picked a pretty bad weekend to do guest pass travel to be honest.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
I really hope you are trying to get out of PHX early as possible, the flts are pretty packed tomorrow for PHX to LAX, and as unfortunate as it is, as a D3 you will get jumped by D2P, D2Pt, D2R, D2Rt, D2, D2t, D1, D1t, and even D3t (t stands for thru pax). It's feasible you could be there for the first PHX-LAX flt, miss it, and you will be behind any employees listed like the above for the flt you rolled onto.

I would be prepared to drive to LAX from PHX honestly in case. You picked a pretty bad weekend to do guest pass travel to be honest.
Thanks for that. Too bad I'm leaving from PHX to LAX at around 8:00 p.m. I wouldn't think that there would be any flights if I missed that one. Time to hunker down and pray hard!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:31 am

By the way, if I do miss the last flight from PHX to LAX, do I need to have my sponsor "re-do" my D3 PNR if I want to try again the next day?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
By the way, if I do miss the last flight from PHX to LAX, do I need to have my sponsor "re-do" my D3 PNR if I want to try again the next day?
The agents can transfer your listing, but again, they are primarily there to serve revenue pax. The employee is your primary point of contact, who should utilize NRTP and 888-WEFLYAA.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:51 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
If you don't get on, ask the gate agent to roll you over to the next day's flights; that way you'll keep your check-in time and be ahead of other D3's on the priority list that day.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Thanks for that. Too bad I'm leaving from PHX to LAX at around 8:00 p.m. I wouldn't think that there would be any flights if I missed that one. Time to hunker down and pray hard!

Crazier things have happened, and there is a 10:55pm one still too, so I would try for both if I were you, and if not try again tomorrow morning. Sometimes other non-revs get sick of waiting and just give up and don't show and whatnot, and late night connections are always more open to people misconnecting not far behind very early morning flts.

That being said, I would say try tomorrow for a while if tonight is a no go, and then once you start getting around the afternoon, I seriously would consider just renting a car and whatnot and driving to LAX. Tomorrow the flt to SYD is very open, you will get on if you can make it to LAX tomorrow for sure barring anything catastrophic like the LAX-SYD being cxld tonight (no reason it will)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.