Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I'm taking 0028 leaves 10:45 pm Wednesday May 24. I booked myself through AMEX plat as it saved $150 vs AA and is refundable. Business. I booked wife with miles, 57.5k so don't feel too bad about that, given its saver and we gain a lot on red eye vs next day as FINAL destination is YUL. Business trip for me and will need the MQMs to maintain status.

Do options exist to upgrade to first on points for both of us? I'm just Gold so I'd need to purchase how many certs to upgrade? She has no status so Probably makes no sense to go that way. Sorry, my flights are normally in western half of nation, newbie to this flight.
You can try to upgrade your flight with points - I believe it should just be 15,000 points (no co-pay).

For your wife, you probably just need to look for availability for first and then cancel her flight and re-book.

Do you really want first, though? You and your wife can sit next to each other in business - you will be across the aisle from each other in F (or one behind the other).
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
You can try to upgrade your flight with points - I believe it should just be 15,000 points (no co-pay).

For your wife, you probably just need to look for availability for first and then cancel her flight and re-book.

Do you really want first, though? You and your wife can sit next to each other in business - you will be across the aisle from each other in F (or one behind the other).
I'm not sure, maybe. I don't think she can get saver at this point for first so certainly not paying the extra for that but might be possible. Plan to eat then off to sleep for 3 hours or so. Is there any difference in food/alcohol in first vs. bus? I assume getting sleep there will be much easier as well. So, no need to be side by side.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm not sure, maybe. I don't think she can get saver at this point for first so certainly not paying the extra for that but might be possible. Plan to eat then off to sleep for 3 hours or so. Is there any difference in food/alcohol in first vs. bus? I assume getting sleep there will be much easier as well. So, no need to be side by side.
On a relatively quick redeye, the difference in food will be marginal at best - they are not catered the same daytime flights with "regular" meals. The difference in alcohol would also not justify the extra expense, but that's just my opinion. J booze on these flights is pretty good.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:02 am

1/3 AA 15 (JFK - SFO)

I was #3 on the upgrade list and #1, #2, #8 were upgraded. By asking GA she told me #8 was upgraded from J to F

1/12 AA 164 (SFO - JFK)

I wasn't showing up on the upgrade list when I looked at the app in the morning. I called EXP support and they did something and claimed I was #3 but the app no longer showed me upgrade list. When I got the the airport I was told the flight was fully sold out. It ended up being delayed by 4 hours because 6 FC seats were broken and some of those 6 lucky passengers were rebooked to fly to LAX or given the option of flying in economy.

I am flying this route next month but my return flight is later in the day. Let's see how the upgrade gods will treat me this time.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The primary benefit of F over J is the direct aisle access and increased privacy of not having a neighbor. The F bed is probably a few inches longer and wider than J. The F seat also has more personal storage area. Many actually think the F seat is a bit challenging to get into/out of, and I don't disagree--due to the angling of the suite, the seat pretty much needs to be upright to get in/out, or you have to have VERY flexible legs.

I agree with others it's probably not worth the extra cost.
For the award ticket, you'd have to find First (Saver) availability, and re-book the award in that class.
For the paid ticket, you cannot use your elite "sticker" upgrades; those are only valid from coach tickets. You can use miles; there is a co-pay if you're on an "I" class fare. Details on AA.com. For J/D there's no co-pay. It's likely (but not guaranteed) that your refundable fare is in J/D and so no co-pay. Fares are a bit odd right now, refundable Biz is full J, which happens to be $1200 more expensive r/t than refundable First, in full F...
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by joeypore
They might add some last minute; however, I'd say you have a pretty decent chance of getting the upgrade if they're still selling seats, especially day of departure.

I've personally never seen the F cabin confirmed full, but I know it does happen on the more popular flights.
I was able to upgrade with miles about 25 hours out; I believe F is full
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Asiana Diamond
I'm on AA 9 (JFK to SFO), and just got upgraded to J. I subscribed to EF, and it showed J7 and C4 as of T-48.

EXP, and upgrade at ~T-16 (no email notification from AA, but only noticed it when i was checking the AA app on my phone and saw the seat change).

This flight is currently showing J2 U0 C0.

Hope my return flight on Sun 7am (AA 66) is successful, currently showing J7, and seatmap shows 13 open in J and 7 open in F.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by jaherer1
I'm on AA 9 (JFK to SFO), and just got upgraded to J. I subscribed to EF, and it showed J7 and C4 as of T-48.

EXP, and upgrade at ~T-16 (no email notification from AA, but only noticed it when i was checking the AA app on my phone and saw the seat change).

This flight is currently showing J2 U0 C0.

Hope my return flight on Sun 7am (AA 66) is successful, currently showing J7, and seatmap shows 13 open in J and 7 open in F.
Uh oh...now I know who my competition is on AA#66 this Sunday. Will be curious to see if I get a complimentary upgrade or a mileage upgrade. My outbound to LAX upgraded at T-48 as a complimentary upgrade so I didn't have to spend $$$ or miles. Let me know what happens with you.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by brc757rr
Uh oh...now I know who my competition is on AA#66 this Sunday. Will be curious to see if I get a complimentary upgrade or a mileage upgrade. My outbound to LAX upgraded at T-48 as a complimentary upgrade so I didn't have to spend $$$ or miles. Let me know what happens with you.
I received a complimentary upgrade to J this morning, ~T-44 hours, how bout yourself?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I was able to upgrade with miles about 25 hours out; I believe F is full
From J > F yeah?

I meant unless F is confirmed full beforehand (say, a week before departure), then the J > F upgrade is usually pretty likely.

--
Side note for people flying this route the week leading up to Feb 12th, the
Grammys are on the 12th in LA, which means a LOT of paid F / J pax coming from NYC the week leading up to Sunday. Grammy events happen as early as the Tuesday before, so that's when the east coast music industry starts rolling in.

Makes for fun sightings in the LAX admirals club on the Monday after, but not so fun for your UPG chances...
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joeypore
Side note for people flying this route the week leading up to Feb 12th, the
Grammys are on the 12th in LA, which means a LOT of paid F / J pax coming from NYC the week leading up to Sunday.
And the Oscars are Feb 26th.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:08 pm

I'm looking to fly out to LA on Friday night and fly back to NY on Monday afternoon (2 or 3 pm flight)? Just wondering, what the complimentary upgrade chances for EXP for these times. If I try to miles + copay for upgrades, do they have a good chance of clearing before the complimentary upgrade window? This is for May 6/7th weekend.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
And the Oscars are Feb 26th.
Ugh - i didnt realize this - though EF is showing a lack of demand, at least on the later flights:

Friday 2/24 JFK-LAX

7pm J0 C0 (it was C1 until a couple of hours ago)
8pm J4 C0
9pm J7 C5
10pm J7 C7

All of these have more than 75% of F wide open showing F6 or higher and A4 or higher

I am on the 8pm and hoping to clear
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by makfan
This red-eye upgrade is one of the hardest in the system on any day of the week, because the J cabin affords an actual opportunity to sleep. I got one on a Saturday night once, just before boarding.
Any idea on the odds of a Platinum getting upgraded on a Friday 0755p flight JFK-SFO on A321T? L class fare
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
So how does J-F upgrades work here? Just for curiosity's sake...

Last week I was on the AA180 (LAX-JFK at 4.30pm) and at check-in the F cabin was only 3/10 taken. When boarding finished it's fully occupied. J had been fully booked for some weeks.

Now yes, some could be last minute bookers, IRROPS or those who didn't assign seats, or those using miles to upgrade and clearing late perhaps (?)...

Does AA have a policy to op-up EXPs from F so they can process other upgrades from J to F?

Thanks for any info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.