Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: USDM oneworld Award Bookings - (Closed to new bookings) [Master FAQ and Help]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WIKI POST: Using US Dividend Miles for oneworld Award Flights
As further details become available, please fill in this wikipost.

N.B. Booking opportunities for new Dividend Miles awards of all kinds ended 11:59 PM Wednesday, 25 March 2015. Please continue using this thread for trips booked or in progress through 24 March 2016.

Changes on USDM oneworld award tickets

This is the only official statement about changing issued USDM award tickets:

If I need to make changes to a Dividend Miles award reservation, which program’s rules will apply?

Minor changes such as date/time can be made provided seats are available without requiring a new award to be claimed. More substantive changes such as changes to stopovers or origin/destination may result in the need to reinstate the previously claimed Dividend Miles award, then claiming a new AAdvantage award under the existing AAdvantage program rules.
To make a change on a USDM ticket, you need to get an agent that is trained to use the US reservation system.
The old membership rules do 'generally' still appy to USDM tickets.

For awards ticketed / reticketed on 001- ticket stock, go to the AA Refunds site with your ticket number at hand (unsure if it works with 037- stock at this time)to:
  • Print a receipt with ticket number (instead of Request a refund)
  • See total fees, taxes, etc. attached to your ticket
  • See applicable detailed fare rules
  • Request a refund (may not be useful for awards)
(Go here to print in flight purchase receipts)
Some experiences about changes to tickets, reported by members:
  • Some were able to change their ticket without beeing charged the USD 150.- changing fee.
  • No chance to change a ticket after the first flight segment has been flown.

Old stuff

oneworld member airlines - airberlin, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines (Sibir), SriLankan Airlines, TAM Airlines, US Airways and their affiliates.

Award Chart for oneworld awards using US Dividend Miles:
http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...wardtravel.pdf

You can use the American Airlines, British Airways, JAL, or Qantas sites to search for oneworld award inventory. AA and QF also allows you to search for award inventory using a handy 30 day calendar view. However, availability on the calendar is dependent on site coverage (e.g. QF does not include JL or MH, AA does not include CX and others). Also, the calendar view may not be completely accurate on all partners, so use it as a guide but do not rely on it fully.

One of the easiest ways to search for oneworld availability is through the use of an outside tool such as Award Nexus, ExpertFlyer, KVS Tool, or The Wandering Aramean oneworld Search.

Award Nexus has a free community membership for flyertalk members, and award email alert with premium membership. ExpertFlyer has email alerts and direct GDS access to select oneworld award inventories, such as AA, QF, and US. ExpertFlyer can also search J class certificate upgrade inventory. With KVS Tool, you can search QF, BA, JL and CX's search engines, in addition to other alliances, on your PC (Mac / Linux with CrossOver). You can also set up an alert via The Wandering Aramean oneworld Search. This tool will automatically search on QF for your alert once per day with a free account and four times per day with a paid account.

N.B. With all of the above tools, it is best to search one segment at a time. Most oneworld search engines have difficulty marrying segments.

For route searching with itinerary information, use the interactive oneworld map and timetable.

For searching Intra-North America availability, the best tool is AA.com. Unlike the other oneworld engines, AA is pretty good at marrying segments, so you can search origin to destination.

Regarding availability, the strategy that has been most effective for people looking to book award travel on oneworld is to start searching right at 330 days prior to departure. This is generally when availability is at its best. After that, availability tends to be sporadic until starting 8 weeks prior to departure where some airlines open up availability, and will vary all the way up until the day of departure.

If you're having trouble finding availability, it may be best to look at alternate airports (JL, for example, serves SAN, YVR, and BOS, in addition to the larger markets of SFO, LAX, YYZ, ORD, and JFK).

(N.B. Although US was not adding fuel surcharges to awards, there are reports that they have started doing this for awards containing BA flights.) With the exception of BA & IB, no oneworld carriers require you to pay a fuel surcharge for awards. With BA, be aware that you may have to pay both a fuel surcharge as well as the UK Air Passenger Duty departure tax for intercontinental J and F flights out of UK. These fees vary with class of service and length of flight and are determined by BA; the Air Passenger Duty (see specific thread) is due for all UK departures not under 24 hour connecting flights. APD applies to coach tickets, too, but at a reduced rate. The fuel /YQ surcharge with IB is generally considered minimal.

Known Problems / Workaround:
  • Dep 00:00AM : Some agents have difficulty finding flights leaving between midnight and 2 AM. This is because the US systems show it leaving the day before. If the agent cannot find it, please ask to look at the day before. > source <
  • LA : Flights put on hold will be cancelled after 24h. Workaround: Issue the ticket immediately. > source <
  • JL : US Rep cannot find available seats. Workaround: "Always have to remind Rep to open JL reservations on a new screen". > source <
  • MH : US Rep cannot find awards in First Class. Workaround: First class needs to be booked in P-cl instead of Z-cl (as on most other OW carriers). > source < booking classes: > KVS <
  • All : If you are booking outbound flights at the US Air 335 day window US Air will often allow you to put your reservation on a longer than 3 day hold to capture the return seats once they open up at T+335. There is a report of this for 30 days here, and FT user beofotch was successful in getting a 13 day hold here. Workaround: Huaca until you get an agent who is competent enough to do this. It may help to act naive and ask for your return flight on your preferred date even if it is after T+335 days. Once they get an error from the computer may be a good time to bring it up.

Fixed Problems:
  • CX : US Rep cannot find seats on flight CX 645 HKG-DOH. Workaround: none so far, search for different routing/carrier (CMB/DXB/...?)... > source < > fixed <
    > fixed <
  • CX : US Rep cannot find seats on flight CX 640 DOH-HKG. They admit, the flight exists, but are unable to book <source>. Workaround: none so far, search for different routing/carrier
    > fixed <
  • BA/Comair : US rep could not see / or unable to book intra-South Africa flights in BA flight number operated by Comair despite AA treats Comair a full fledged oneworld member under BA, in the same context as KA under CX. Only one reported success booking - poster reported agent had trouble at first but on consulting a supervisor was told "where to look"; the agent did not give any further information. Most everyone else reported unable to book Comair flights.
    > fixed <
  • IB : Flights will be cancelled after ticket issued. Workaround: None yet... > source <
    > fixed <
Print Wikipost

LUS: USDM oneworld Award Bookings - (Closed to new bookings) [Master FAQ and Help]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by anabolism
So, I could book, say, SAN-PHX-SFO-HKG (destination) -LHR (stop) -LAX-SAN?
HKG is the furthest point from SAN, so that is the destination, right? Would it exceed the MPM? I'm not sure if I should use the Atlantic or Pacific MPM. Obviously I'm routing via the Atlantic but is that permitted? EF says the 25M MPM for SAN-HKG is 18,192 via the Atlantic and 11,020 via the Pacific, while HLG-LHR-LAX-SAN is 11,517.?
US Airways allows TPAC and TATL routings (essentially, RTW) to Asia on the same itinerary from anywhere in North America, even the West Coast. This is similar to AC.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:19 am

I need some help with an answer to one question.

How much is the MPM CDG-HND?

I booked CDG-DOH-HKG-HND(DES)-HKG(STP)-KUL-LHR-CDG - mostly in F.

I hope to change one leg once AA is in charge and wonder if they might cancel the ticket due to MPM or other aspects once I want to change anything.

Help is appreciated!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
[KVS Tool 7.7.4 - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: CDG-HND/US]
Code:

GI       M      5M     10M     15M     20M     25M     
MPM      TS    7432    7803    8175    8546    8918    9290     
MPM      EH    9530   10006   10483   10959   11436   11912     
MPM      AP   11444   12016   12588   13160   13732   14305
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
US Airways allows TPAC and TATL routings (essentially, RTW) to Asia on the same itinerary from anywhere in North America, even the West Coast. This is similar to AC.
So, I can have an award to HKG that goes, say, LAX-SFO-HKG in one direction and HKG-LHR-LAX in the other? I assume that the Pacific MPM would apply in the one direction and the Atlantic MPM would apply in the other? So, my proposed SAN-PHX-SFO-HKG (destination) HKG-LHR-LAX-SAN would be OK? But, per the subsequent comment that I can not have both a stopover and an open jaw, I couldn't also have an open jaw between HKG and TPE for the return, so I'll just book a one-way award on AA to return to HKG from TPE prior to the return flight on the US DM award.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:53 pm

Hi,
Hoping someone here can help me (tried to find the answer by searching earlier on in this thread but was unsuccessful). I just booked a trip in F from LEX-MEL in november, mostly on US's partner airlines. Unfortunately, I return over the Thanksgiving weekend which caused some scheduling issues. Spefically, I arrive in JFK in the morning on Nov 27. I want to fly JFK-CLT-LEX which means I could get home on any of three afternoon/evening flights any of which would be fine.

The flights from JFK-CLT have no availability in first/business and no availibility in Coach "low". However, they do have availability in Coach "medium". So I thought I could just book a coach seat instead of first class, because for such short flights I really don't care.

The DM agent said those seats were not available for a first class ticket which used partner airlines even though the individual price of the Coach "medium" was lower than the individual price of First/Business "low". I was worried about losing the rest of my itinerary, so I booked the only option i had which was to fly LGA-PHL-LEX, meaning I have to change airports and will get home several hours later than with one of the JFK-CLT-LEX flights.

That makes no sense to me. Was he right?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by lawyeraaron
That makes no sense to me. Was he right?
Yes.

If you elect to travel in a lower cabin for any part of your journey, you can only use the correct inventory, ie 'saver/low'.

I understand where you're coming from, but that's not the way it works unfortunately.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Yes.

If you elect to travel in a lower cabin for any part of your journey, you can only use the correct inventory, ie 'saver/low'.

I understand where you're coming from, but that's not the way it works unfortunately.
Thanks,
It would be worth the $150 change fee to get on one of the JFK-CLT-LEX flights. So I guess the thing to do would be to watch US availability to see if the flights I want fall into the "low" category and then pay to change?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
So, I can have an award to HKG that goes, say, LAX-SFO-HKG in one direction and HKG-LHR-LAX in the other? I assume that the Pacific MPM would apply in the one direction and the Atlantic MPM would apply in the other? So, my proposed SAN-PHX-SFO-HKG (destination) HKG-LHR-LAX-SAN would be OK? But, per the subsequent comment that I can not have both a stopover and an open jaw, I couldn't also have an open jaw between HKG and TPE for the return, so I'll just book a one-way award on AA to return to HKG from TPE prior to the return flight on the US DM award.
Correct.

(Avios might be the better currency to use; 4.5k Avios in Y, 9k in J).

Thanks,
It would be worth the $150 change fee to get on one of the JFK-CLT-LEX flights. So I guess the thing to do would be to watch US availability to see if the flights I want fall into the "low" category and then pay to change?
Correct.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:46 pm

by the way, if I use KIX as my destination instead of NRT, then I don't have to fly to TPE or ICN as my destination, correct?

[QUOTE=eponymous_coward;24414614]Yes, TPE or ICN would be fine. Distance for Asia stop-SEA > Distance for Europe stop-SEA, you're good.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apple1122
by the way, if I use KIX as my destination instead of NRT, then I don't have to fly to TPE or ICN as my destination, correct?
Possibly. Your problem will probably be a segment limit or possibly MPM, since there is no F nonstop service to AMS from the United States on oneworld, or from AMS to KIX, and SEA is not particularly well served by oneworld- the only international OW service is from BA out of LHR, and it is a spoke for AA/US (with no LAX service, which means some level of backtracking from somewhere like PHX or ORD).

US generally only allows 8 segments on awards, occasionally allowing only up to 10. If you are trying to minimize fuel surcharges on BA, maximize the F segments, stopover in AMS and have KIX as your destination, and do a SEA origin and return, I think you will find this quite hard to do in one 8 segment itinerary.

Also note that AB does not serve AMS, and CX does not serve AMS with an F-equipped aircraft. I do not believe JL has nonstop service to the USA from KIX on an F equipped aircraft.

I would strongly encourage you to start and finish out of one of YVR, SFO or LAX, or even ORD or DFW... This has a much better chance of being ticketed cleanly. That or you may need to put up with fuel surcharges from BA or APD from one of LHR, FRA or CDG...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 27, 2015 at 7:03 am
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Is anyone actually getting through to make award bookings the last few days? Ive tried at various time (US time 11pm, 2am, 4am and 6am) and either get the 'more calls than our system can handle - call back later' message or give up after being on hold for 20 minutes.

4am US time used to be a surefire time to get straight through - what time are people calling with the most success?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by smit0847
Is anyone actually getting through to make award bookings the last few days? Ive tried at various time (US time 11pm, 2am, 4am and 6am) and either get the 'more calls than our system can handle - call back later' message or give up after being on hold for 20 minutes.

4am US time used to be a surefire time to get straight through - what time are people calling with the most success?
Nope. I tried that last night from San Diego.

I got notified on Sunday re: a schedule change with JAL. I need to move the flight, but haven't had luck all week.
I called Canada line and was struck down very promptly.

I called AA ExPLat (which I am), and even though I have a AA confirmation number, they weren't able to transfer me back to US.

Ugh.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The US callcenter has been busy for a few weeks now.... use one of the international numbers if you want to get through.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Originally Posted by smit0847

They're doing something with their phone system and are having problems. Add the "weather issues" into the mix and you have very busy call centers. I'm lucky if I can actually get the Chairman's desk 50% of the time as it's overflowing into the regular queue.

BTW - not sure if it's new, but my CP desk concierge called me back and his number came up as American Airlines. First time for me, but perhaps I'm behind in the news.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thanks,
Sometimes, if you explain them that you had to book this weird routing coz the correct routing was not available, they may even waive the change fee. I won't count on it though.

I recently called them to change the LGA-BOS part of one of my award ticket from Y to F and they happily did it without a fee. I told them honestly that I don't know how it got booked as Y while it's a part of a international F award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.